Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The next time you try talking on a FaceTime call on iOS 15 with your microphone muted, iOS will provide you a subtle reminder to unmute your microphone so others can hear you.

facetime-talk-while-muted-reminder.jpg

The new reminder, first spotted by The Verge, is part of a wider assortment of changes and new features coming to FaceTime with the release of iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey later this fall. Heightened by the global health crisis, millions have switched to working remotely via FaceTime, Zoom, and other platforms. Often, coming with it is the embarrassment of trying to talk, only to discover later that no one heard you due to your muted microphone.

Apple is aiming to solve this social dilemma with iOS 15. Unfortunately, on macOS Monterey beta 1, a similar prompt is not present, but it may be added in a future beta release. Another FaceTime feature coming this fall is the ability to share FaceTime call links with others, including those on Android and Windows, brand-new SharePlay functionality, and more.

Article Link: FaceTime on iOS 15 Alerts You If You Try to Talk While Muted

Reactions: sdz

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Microsoft Teams has had this same feature for at least a year.

It's a nice little gesture.

I wish there'd be something to reduce the amount of accidental noise that's picked up, though. Maybe if 3 other people have talked since you last did + 5 minutes have passed since you last talked, just automatically put you on mute. It'll help cut down on the amount of people breathing loudly into their mics during group calls, at least... (in Teams, at least. I've only ever done one-on-one facetime calls.)

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
That is the sort of addition I would hope no one had noticed I had made and that people always thought was there.
Like sneaking in a key bit of data into report that was presented about 2 years ago.

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
Actually seems like they are quickly catching up. Add green screen support and we’re on to something.
I think a year after others have been doing something is pretty slow lol. But, FaceTime isn't designed for the same stuff Webex, Zoom, Teams, etc... works for. So I can see why they don't push out the same updates as quickly.

Reactions: miq and neliason

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I think a year after others have been doing something is pretty slow lol. But, FaceTime isn't designed for the same stuff Webex, Zoom, Teams, etc... works for. So I can see why they don't push out the same updates as quickly.
It’s fast because there are a lot of changes all at once. You time something from when it starts.

• Haha
Reactions: miq

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
It is good that market pressure forced Apple to improve FaceTime. I prefer FaceTime, but its limits helped drive people to other technologies.

Reactions: NMBob

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Would be nice if Cisco's Webex system had that. Just went through some training at work with about a dozen co-workers and OMG... Even better would be a message telling you to MUTE. :) Is that little control panel normally visible in FT during a call? Haven't facetimed in a while.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

• Haha
Reactions: NMBob

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
That's kind of cool. I used Google Hangouts with my elderly parents back home in Australia, until Google decided to discontinue it - so we used FaceTime for the very first time ever - worked pretty well!

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
That's a really ugly interface, having that big black oval on the left side instead of some more appropriate control that fits the aesthetic. I would be more concerned about the times that I'm not muted and think I am. Like when I'm telling a colleague sitting next to me about how boneheaded the plan being discussed by upper management is, and don't realize that they heard me until I get a call from HR.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
That's a really ugly interface, having that big black oval on the left side instead of some more appropriate control that fits the aesthetic. I would be more concerned about the times that I'm not muted and think I am. Like when I'm telling a colleague sitting next to me about how boneheaded the plan being discussed by upper management is, and don't realize that they heard me until I get a call from HR.
Huh, is this meant as a joke or are you being serious? ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.