Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
First world problems, but I’ve noticed that I have far more Face ID failures with my new M4 iPad Pro than my old M1 model with the new positioning of the Face ID camera. I never had a problem with Face ID before. But now, my right hand blocks the camera most of the time because my right hand is what I use to navigate the screen either with my finger or Apple Pencil. So it’s always blocking, which means I always get a rejection, then have to reposition to get a positive ID. It’s a hard habit to break.

Much prefer the old location, since I never use my iPad for videoconferencing — only my MBP. But majority rules, I guess 😆

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
First world problems, but I’ve noticed that I have far more Face ID failures with my new M4 iPad Pro than my old M1 model with the new positioning of the Face ID camera. I never had a problem with Face ID before. But now, my right hand blocks the camera most of the time because my right hand is what I use to navigate the screen either with my finger or Apple Pencil. So it’s always blocking, which means I always get a rejection, then have to reposition to get a positive ID. It’s a hard habit to break.

Much prefer the old location, since I never use my iPad for videoconferencing — only my MBP. But majority rules, I guess 😆
I‘m right handed and encountered this dynamic as well. Simple fix for me is to glance at the camera during FaceID interval. Of course your mileage may vary if your hand is blocking the camera. Despite this issue, I still prefer the landscape camera and consider it an improvement.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Interesting discussion. I have noticed that I frequently have a Face ID failure when I first pick up my M4 iPad Pro 13 inch but that if I try a second time, FaceID works fine. This discussion got me to thinking why.

My conclusion is that when I first pick up my iPP, I hold it by the right edge because I don't want my Pencil Pro to fall off. Once I have a failed login using FaceID, I pay a tiny bit more attention to where my hand is placed (often without consciously noticing I am doing so) and Bob's your uncle... FaceID works the second time.

Hopefully, now that I'm aware it's not just me, being more intentional about hand placement will reduce the number of FaceID failures for me.

Implicit in the above is the fact that when I am using my iPP as a handheld tablet, I am typically using it to read or to handwrite, both of which work better for me in portrait mode.

Reactions: Parowdy

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Interesting discussion. I have noticed that I frequently have a Face ID failure when I first pick up my M4 iPad Pro 13 inch but that if I try a second time, FaceID works fine. This discussion got me to thinking why.

My conclusion is that when I first pick up my iPP, I hold it by the right edge because I don't want my Pencil Pro to fall off. Once I have a failed login using FaceID, I pay a tiny bit more attention to where my hand is placed (often without consciously noticing I am doing so) and Bob's your uncle... FaceID works the second time.

Hopefully, now that I'm aware it's not just me, being more intentional about hand placement will reduce the number of FaceID failures for me.

Implicit in the above is the fact that when I am using my iPP as a handheld tablet, I am typically using it to read or to handwrite, both of which work better for me in portrait mode.
Yup. I have a case on my iPad with an integrated Apple Pencil holder and a cover the hinges on the left. So I always pick the iPad up with my right hand and open the cover with my left hand. Instant Face ID fail 😂

IMG_1519.jpeg

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
First world problems
You’re posting on MacRumors. This is a website devoted to people who lack access to clean drinking water, suffer from chronic hunger and malnutrition, face inadequate healthcare, struggle with poor education, live in extreme poverty, are displaced by war and conflict, are severely impacted by climate change, experience human rights abuses, endure poor sanitation, and are affected by refugee crises.

Do better next time.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
You can just hold the iPad upside down, so that the camera is on the left. ;)

The correct™ solution would be to have sensors and cameras on both the short and the long side, but apparently Apple is too cheap for that.

Last edited:

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010
You can just hold the iPad upside down, so that the camera is on the left. ;)

The correct™ solution would be to have sensors and cameras on both the short and the long side, but apparently Apple is too cheap for that.
“Apple is too cheap for that” hit it on the head right there.

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI

I can't believe no one has posted this.

"You're holding it wrong." - Steve Jobs

But, seriously folks...:)

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
You’re posting on MacRumors. This is a website devoted to people who lack access to clean drinking water, suffer from chronic hunger and malnutrition, face inadequate healthcare, struggle with poor education, live in extreme poverty, are displaced by war and conflict, are severely impacted by climate change, experience human rights abuses, endure poor sanitation, and are affected by refugee crises.

Do better next time.
tom-hanks-golden-globes.gif

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009

I never use my MacBook for video conferencing, only my iPad Pro. It’s been great having a repositioned camera.

Reactions: Tagbert

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Instead of moving the camera to the long side, I would have preferred the Magic Keyboard (and other stands) have a portrait stand mode. I prefer using my iPads in portrait unless I’m split screening, and the camera is at a higher level that way too which is a more natural looking angle. Or if that’s not feasible for some reason, then I would have preferred a landscape camera built into the MK, even though that would have increased the price. But it is what it is, I’ll live I guess 😆.

Reactions: DaPhox and Lyrics23

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Personally, I think the horizontal camera placement is ideal on the 13” models (I almost never used it free of a keyboard case), a bit of a split on the 11” (about 70/30 case/free hand), and would be a total mistake on the mini (always free).

That said, I can see use cases where the camera location changes depending on the individual not the outright size of the device.

Like the OP, I just have to get used to the new camera location right as I returned to the 11” size… it’s a bit of a glass half full debate. ”Those who like it, like it a lot”

retrocool

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
My M4 iPad has had A LOT of failures with face ID, whereas the hat, sunglasses and false moustache I bought on the same day have been absolutely trouble-free. Sort it out, Tim Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.