Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CCP Games today announced that popular MMORPG Eve Online is now available to play on both Intel and M1 Macs thanks to the launch of a new Mac client.

For those unfamiliar with Eve Online, it's a long-running free-to-play online space-focused game that's massive in scale. It has been free for many years now and monetized through in-app purchases. Mac users will be able to play alongside Windows gamers as Eve Online features one big universe.

Prior to now Eve Online was only available to play on Macs through a compatibility layer like Wine, so gameplay will be faster, more efficient, and hassle-free. The game features improved graphics and visual effects on Mac, along with reduced RAM and power usage. There's also full support for Mac keyboards and mice.

A Mac client has been in testing for some time, and CCP says that user feedback on the test server offered vital assistance as it worked to implement Mac compatibility. Those who install the latest launcher version will be able to migrate from the prior Wine client to the Mac client automatically.

Article Link: Eve Online Now Available Natively on Macs, Optimized for Apple Silicon

ohsnap

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Can someone please tell me how large the client is? Im working with a 256GB(lol) drive on my MBA.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Had a friend who was addicted to this game in early 2000s. He was just a happy go lucky gamer who liked multiplayer games, college humor, online clans.

He used to fight the Russian clans in Eve Online and then they recruited him and really brainwashed him. Today he’s a maniac anti Semite alt right with no social life.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
So is the Steam Client already updated to this new version?

Edit: Just saw that it is on Steam!

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
Had a friend who was addicted to this game in early 2000s. He was just a happy go lucky gamer who liked multiplayer games, college humor, online clans.

He used to fight the Russian clans in Eve Online and then they recruited him and really brainwashed him. Today he’s a maniac anti Semite alt right with no social life.
Did not expect this reply coming into this thread :) for some dark reason I enjoyed reading it , I recall the day I quit WoW as a student (got benched for raid I should've went to) , rage uninstalled unsubscribed and never touched it again , managed to get back on track at uni and graduate properly , this stuff can mess you up big time , they really know how to get you hooked.

chilly willy

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Good news. Maybe developers will start embracing Apple silicone. Maybe it will start with titles that can more likely bring large audience like mmos? Regardless, even though I just finished assembling a PC rig for gaming, the idea of gaming on MBP excites me to no end. It will be interesting to see how this goes for sure.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
6 core intel i7 mac and the game still works like complete ****. Seriously, It's still unplayable.

edit: will definitely try it on my M1 air but not getting my hopes up.

one more edit: It's funny how Eve Echoes in an android emulator works 100x better than their new Eve Online native client.

• Sad
Reactions: eelynek

macar00n

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2021

So in other words you wouldn't recommend Eve Online?

frogslapper

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
Did not expect this reply coming into this thread :) for some dark reason I enjoyed reading it , I recall the day I quit WoW as a student (got benched for raid I should've went to) , rage uninstalled unsubscribed and never touched it again , managed to get back on track at uni and graduate properly , this stuff can mess you up big time , they really know how to get you hooked.
Good for you. Username checks out.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
32-core M1X and 120Hz may bring them all running… One can hope.
Mmmmmm, I’m thinking the running would happen more related to Apple selling, I don’t know, a modest 50 million Macs a year? It wouldn’t even matter what the specs were, just flat out 50 million a year for 2 or 3 years would get some serious attention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.