Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney has teased a return of Fortnite to iOS in 2023, nearly three years after the best-selling game was removed from the App Store for violating platform rules, marking the start of a contentious and high-profile legal battle.

fortnite_apple_featured.jpg

In a tweet to celebrate the new year, Sweeney said, "Next year on iOS!" followed by an image of a Fortnite character looking up at fireworks that spell out 2023. Apple is reportedly planning to allow sideloading and alternative app stores with iOS 17 next year, in order to comply with the newly passed DMA (Digital Markets Act) law in Europe. Under the law and its implementations, Epic Games could, in theory, bring Fortnite back to iOS, just not through the App Store.

Fortnite was removed from the App Store in August 2020 after Epic Games included a direct payment option in the game that circumvented Apple's in-app purchasing system, violating App Store rules. Apple ultimately removed Fortnite from the App Store, placing the blame directly on Epic for violating its rules. A statement from Apple at the time:
Today, Epic Games took the unfortunate step of violating the App Store guidelines that are applied equally to every developer and designed to keep the store safe for our users. As a result their Fortnite app has been removed from the store. Epic enabled a feature in its app which was not reviewed or approved by Apple, and they did so with the express intent of violating the App Store guidelines regarding in-app payments that apply to every developer who sells digital goods or services.

Epic has had apps on the App Store for a decade, and have benefited from the App Store ecosystem - including its tools, testing, and distribution that Apple provides to all developers. Epic agreed to the App Store terms and guidelines freely and we're glad they've built such a successful business on the App Store. The fact that their business interests now lead them to push for a special arrangement does not change the fact that these guidelines create a level playing field for all developers and make the store safe for all users. We will make every effort to work with Epic to resolve these violations so they can return Fortnite to the App Store.
The removal of Fortnite from the App Store caused Epic Games to file a lawsuit against the Cupertino tech giant. "We're fighting for open platforms and policy changes equally benefiting all developers. And it'll be a hell of a fight!" Sweeney said at the time.

Three years later, both Epic Games and Apple are now appealing a court decision made in September 2021 that would have required Apple to allow developers to add in-app links to outside websites, paving the way for alternate payment options that do not require developers to use the in-app purchase system.

Epic Games claims Apple's control over iOS and the App Store is anti-competitive and that alternative app stores should be allowed on the iPhone. Apple, on the other hand, believes the App Store remains the safest and most trusted way for developers to target users and users to explore apps. Sweeney has previously called the App Store a "disservice to developers."

For a full roundup of events and the latest developments of the high-profile case, see our guide.

Article Link: Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney Teases Fortnite Returning to iOS in 2023 as Legal Battle Continues

Last edited:

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Yeah, because Sweeney really, really didn’t want to orchestrate the (clearly planned) ‘1984’ campaign.

Sweeney and his like pushing for the metaverse while crying censorship is chef's kiss. The metaverse concept is a nightmare, especially for children.

Chat GPT acknowledges just a few of the downsides mentioned in the press, and then there is all the stalking, trolling and illegal activity that would need to be moderated. A mountain of issues requiring an inhuman level of policing, supervision and engineering headaches.

1672665474202.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
He should print this page out now, just so he can literally eat his words next year.
While I don't agree with what Epic did, at the heart of the matter, many people don't think he's wrong. There is a move afoot to force Apple to allow side loading and/or rework their policies regarding what makes or doesn't make the cut into the app store.

Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy in the walled garden, the positives outweigh the negatives, but storm clouds are brewing for Apple

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
As a result of Epic boneheaded move parents had to explain why Fortnite for iPad was no longer good enough to work with their friends xbox and playstation during the height of the pandemic. Nvidia teaches us daily that suing Apple is not the best idea of you hope to work together in the future.

Qualcomm is the only one who managed to move past it. Epic isn't Qualcomm though.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
While I don't agree with what Epic did, at the heart of the matter, many people don't think he's wrong. There is a move afoot to force Apple to allow side loading and/or rework their policies regarding what makes or doesn't make the cut into the app store.

Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy in the walled garden, the positives outweigh the negatives, but storm clouds are brewing for Apple
Based on the earlier thread on the topic of sideloading, and until Apple unveils their plans for this, I have come to the following conclusion.

1) Apple will likely allow sideloading, but not third party app stores. We also don't know what sort of restrictions will be placed on side loaded apps, so I doubt many people will actually go through the hassle of sideloading Fortnite. In the very least, the absence of Fortnite from the App Store has not impact iPhone sales materially.

2) Apple will still attempt to charge Epic 27% of IAP revenue for apps sideloaded in this manner. At the end of the day, Epic is no better off just agreeing to pay Apple 30% in order to return to the App Store.

Of course the EU gets the final say, but I suspect that Tim Sweeney is celebrating too prematurely here.

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
As a result of Epic boneheaded move parents had to explain why Fortnite for iPad was no longer good enough to work with their friends xbox and playstation during the height of the pandemic. Nvidia teaches us daily that suing Apple is not the best idea of you hope to work together in the future.

Qualcomm is the only one who managed to move past it. Epic isn't Qualcomm though.
Once apple is forced to allow side loading very few companies will care about working with apple. Have a look at the Mac App Store, it’s basically empty because nobody wants to have to argue with apple about silly unreasonable rules that keep changing and are to nobody’s benefit except apple’s.

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
Based on the earlier thread on the topic of sideloading, and until Apple unveils their plans for this, I have come to the following conclusion.

1) Apple will likely allow sideloading, but not third party app stores. We also don't know what sort of restrictions will be placed on side loaded apps, so I doubt many people will actually go through the hassle of sideloading Fortnite. In the very least, the absence of Fortnite from the App Store has not impact iPhone sales materially.

2) Apple will still attempt to charge Epic 27% of IAP revenue for apps sideloaded in this manner. At the end of the day, Epic is no better off just agreeing to pay Apple 30% in order to return to the App Store.

Of course the EU gets the final say, but I suspect that Tim Sweeney is celebrating too prematurely here.
The eu won’t allow apple to charge a fee on apps installed from other stores or from the developer website. Epic will eventually get what it asked for and apple will have to comply. Kudos to epic for making it better for all of us.

DelayedGratificationGene

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2020
Hey I want to sell my saws in Home Depot stores but I DEMAND that I be allowed to sell them and not have to pay Home Depot anything. Their shelf space fixtures, utilities, cashiers, stockpeople, facility platform etc is not my problem and I WILL NOT pay them for it. Same thing with Apple screw them and their platform costs!….I mean this whole thing brought by Epic is absolutely absurd lol.

DelayedGratificationGene

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2020
The eu won’t allow apple to charge a fee on apps installed from other stores or from the developer website. Epic will eventually get what it asked for and apple will have to comply. Kudos to epic for making it better for all of us.
I demand that CostCo allow me to sell my cereal on the highest visible shelf and I demand Costco not charge me anything for this privilege!

Last edited:

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Once apple is forced to allow side loading very few companies will care about working with apple. Have a look at the Mac App Store, it’s basically empty because nobody wants to have to argue with apple about silly unreasonable rules that keep changing and are to nobody’s benefit except apple’s.

That's inaccurate, incorrect and a fantasy.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Nah, Apple will be forced to change their absurd App Store policies in order to remain competitive. At the end of the day a smaller cut of revenue is better than nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.