Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yedidyam16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
Can I downgrade from iOS 18 Beta to iOS 17 without losing all of my data? (I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max, and I want to try the ne software update..)
Im hovering above the 'install now' button and I don't know what to do..

Sbishop84

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
Yes you would need to back up first then if you want to revert you would put your iPhone into dfu mode and then restore via a pc or Mac

Reactions: yedidyam16

yedidyam16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
If my mac doesnt have enough space but i have a ssd, would I be able to backup on the ssd?
If so, how would I do that?

yedidyam16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
Yes you would need to back up first then if you want to revert you would put your iPhone into dfu mode and then restore via a pc or Mac
I'v seen some eople say that its possible to go back only for a few days from when the beta came out and the you'd have to wait for the official update to release. Is it true? And is it safe usually to update to the beta this early?

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Seriously, don't waste your time installing a DB1 from a major release on your main phone. We all know it will be buggy enough to the point a downgrade will be necessary. Only install it if you have other devices less important than your phone only for testing purposes.

Sbishop84

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
I'v seen some eople say that its possible to go back only for a few days from when the beta came out and the you'd have to wait for the official update to release. Is it true? And is it safe usually to update to the beta this early?
It’s not possible to roll back on device level or hasn’t been possible up until now. Personally if you’ve not tried beta testing before I’d wait patiently until beta 2/3 or public beta 1 if it’s your main device.

yedidyam16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
How do I delete the update that I downloaded? Its not installed
I tried looking in the Storage section, but it was not there

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Can I downgrade from iOS 18 Beta to iOS 17 without losing all of my data? (I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max, and I want to try the ne software update..)
Im hovering above the 'install now' button and I don't know what to do..
To be honest, if you’re asking these types of questions you shouldn’t even bother. You’ll be on the beta for a while and there’s literally nothing groundbreaking about iOS18.

Yesterday

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
Austin TX
If my mac doesnt have enough space but i have a ssd, would I be able to backup on the ssd?
If so, how would I do that?
I back up directly to my synology nas as my Mac doesn't have enough space. I would imagine it would work the same with an external ssd. I just gave terminal full disk access, then created a symlink from the mobile backup location to my nas setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.