Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
I am trying it now and am not sure. What's your take? If you were using Chrome, will you switch to Safari? Do you believe the claim that Safari is once again the fastest browser on the planet?

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
I do not understand the "slower than Chrome" comment. To my, Safari has always, dating back many macOS versions, felt (and benchmarked often too) faster than Chrome. Also eats less memory and offers better battery life
I haven’t used Safari in a while so I am asking here opinions. I haven’t decided if I want to switch yet, I just want a fast browsing experience

Siliconpsychosis

macrumors member
May 18, 2023
I haven’t used Safari in a while so I am asking here opinions. I haven’t decided if I want to switch yet, I just want a fast browsing experience
unless you are able to detect microseconds of difference, all modern browsers "feel" about the same. They are all well evolved, none are particularly slower in real world use than any others. Each one has different advantages but speeds arent really a big deal any more.

Even browser benchmarks are really kinda meaningless. Most of the time the bottleneck is connection bandwidth, DNS lookups and transporting the ever increasing size of modern websites

komuh

macrumors member
May 13, 2023
unless you are able to detect microseconds of difference, all modern browsers "feel" about the same. They are all well evolved, none are particularly slower in real world use than any others. Each one has different advantages but speeds arent really a big deal any more.

Even browser benchmarks are really kinda meaningless. Most of the time the bottleneck is connection bandwidth, DNS lookups and transporting the ever increasing size of modern websites
You can always feel a difference, one browser is used to test 95% of the web and the other one is playing catch up (safari).

Safari was and is feeling a lot slower compared to chrome for most websites on the internet. Especially with extra extension installed and it is not a Safari developers fault that one browser dominates whole globe, i'm happy using safari on my mac and iOS as i hate Google and their shady business, but i'm not blind to a real world performance and limitation of Safari.

I can see somewhat theoretical website that is faster on safari then on chrome if developer is focusing on bringing best experience for Safari users but it almost never happens.

davidwebca

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2023
Québec, Québec
For me on my 2019 last i9 Intel MBP (maxed out everything), Safari is unsuferrably slow and muuuuch much slower than before on any website and will even make other apps hog and slow down if doing anything remotely useful like SCROLLING LMAO. No joke, the text buffers before it appears on some websites, especially if there are images or videos elsewhere on the page. I don't hold anyone to it because it's a beta after all, but something tells me that it is the forced end of life of my computer that's being signaled. I had made the move to Safari only a while ago for the better integration, even though I'm a web dev and the Chrome console is much better, but I can't tolerate working with this. I really hope it gets better. 🙏🏻

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.