Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethanmiller960

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2022
I can't seem to find a certain photo I saved and I tried looking for it. I still can't find it, did Apple delete my picture or am I just gonna have to look harder for it? I take lots of pictures and for some reason it seems like either Apple deleted the photo I was looking for or someone (not me) did when I wasn't looking. If not, is there some way I can get it back. It was screenshots of something important. How can I ensure my data is backed up? Only I have access to my account.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I think it's probably a bug rather than something malicious. I have a missing block of photos that never turned up again (I was overseas at the time and I have all the photos from the start of the trip and the end of the trip, but nothing from the middle). They never synched onto my Mac in the first place, and at some point they disappeared off my phone.

Reactions: ethanmiller960

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
I don't know where you saved the screenshot from, but if the screenshot's creation date was in the past (for example 2003) it would be listed deep in your library, not at the point in time you added it to the library.

Reactions: ethanmiller960

ethanmiller960

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2022
I think it's probably a bug rather than something malicious. I have a missing block of photos that never turned up again (I was overseas at the time and I have all the photos from the start of the trip and the end of the trip, but nothing from the middle). They never synched onto my Mac in the first place, and at some point they disappeared off my phone.
Sounds a lot like I need to back up even more often than I do. Thanks to Apple.

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I don't know where you saved the screenshot from, but if the screenshot's creation date was in the past (for example 2003) it would be listed deep in your library, not at the point in time you added it to the library.
Look at the ‘Recents’ folder under ‘My Albums’ in Photos to see your photos sorted by added date rather than creation date.

And yes, frequently backing up is very important. External hard drives are cheap. Time Machine is easy. Plug the drive in once a week and it’s more or less “set and forget.”

iCloud generally works very well, but don’t trust that it will keep your data 100% secure.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
iCloud generally works very well, but don’t trust that it will keep your data 100% secure.

I don't trust any 1 method so I have several backup setups.

What many people don't realize is iCloud Phots is a synch, not backup service and deleting photos deletes them from iCloud; and eve with iCloud backup if you synch Apple uses teh synched library as the backup, not a separate actual backup.

Given how cheap memory is and that most iCloud library's may be big but are not huge, having several backups on drives is a good idea.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
I take frequent Time Machine backups from my MacBook.

How would you go about finding a photo in a backup?

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
You'd restore the library to a new folder, and open Photos while holding Option to be able select that as a separate library.

Rescue the deleted photo, delete the restored library, add the photo back to your "Real" library.
Very helpful! Thank you! I feared you’d have to wipe your current library. Didn’t realize you could load to a different location.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Very helpful! Thank you! I feared you’d have to wipe your current library. Didn’t realize you could load to a different location.
Honestly it "used to be" easier, when iPhoto was a Time Machine-aware app. You could literally open Time Machine from within iPhoto and restore individual photos from there.

But, I understand why they took that away. It's a lot of work to make and keep an app Time Machine-aware, and it takes a lot of developer resources to ensure that new features don't break it (or new macOS updates, etc). By letting photos handle photos, and Time Machine handle "Files," there's much less chance of screwing something up.

In 15 years I've needed to restore photos from a Time Machine backup exactly zero times, so I'm fine with it being a bit more "Involved" on my end but simpler from an OS point of view.

Reactions: fatTribble

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
Honestly it "used to be" easier, when iPhoto was a Time Machine-aware app. You could literally open Time Machine from within iPhoto and restore individual photos from there.

But, I understand why they took that away. It's a lot of work to make and keep an app Time Machine-aware, and it takes a lot of developer resources to ensure that new features don't break it (or new macOS updates, etc). By letting photos handle photos, and Time Machine handle "Files," there's much less chance of screwing something up.

In 15 years I've needed to restore photos from a Time Machine backup exactly zero times, so I'm fine with it being a bit more "Involved" on my end but simpler from an OS point of view.
I value my photos and videos very highly like most people. I have multiple Time Machine drives and multiple cloud backups. Like you, I’ve thankfully never needed them.

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
If you’re extra paranoid like me I might suggest taking things one step further and exporting all your photos in the library to an archive.

When you select “export unmodified originals” you will actually get all of the individual files including the separate .M4A video file used to create Live Photos and the .AAE sidecar files where all of the non-destructive edits for each corresponding photo are stored (assuming they’ve been edited).

It might be over kill but I don’t fully trust the Photos app in terms of its complexity of storing information, and this way you will have an absolute fail safe you can rebuild a library from in case something gets messed up.

Last edited:

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I used to use iCloud in the past but because of you either get the original copies locally or iCloud but not both, I just went with local storage and used Google Photos/Drive and OneDrive for cloud copies...

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
It appears you are using an iPhone or iPad (This is posted in iOS 17 forum). Apple made a change to the default filter somewhere along the line and now things like screenshots do not appear. Make sure you select "All Photos" (instead of "Years", "Months" or "Days") to remove the screenshot filter.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.