Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
I’ve got a 2020 M1 Mac mini which both my wife and I share. It is connected to a 5K monitor and we each have our own login id’s. She uses the Mac exclusively while I connect to it via VNC. When she is logged into the Mac directly, macOS allows her id to have all of the video resolutions available to her. When I connect via VNC, the resolution of my desktop is stuck at the last resolution I was using when I was logged in directly (rather than VNC). So if I go to the Mac and log in directly, I can change my desktop resolution to any available resolution. But if she is logged in when I connect via VNC, I cannot change the resolution for my desktop.

Is there any way to modify a file in macOS or some other way of tweaking this so I can change the resolution of my desktop when I connect via VNC while she is logged into the Mac directly at the same time?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
It’s not clear from your post whether you were even able to change resolution while using VNC client with wife logged out.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Sorry let me clarify. Whoever is logged in directly at the Mac gets all resolutions available to them. If I am logged in directly at the Mac, and my wife connects to the Mac via VNC from her MacBook, her desktop resolution is stuck at whatever it was when she last logged in directly to the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.