Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hank3rd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
More or less wondering if this is an issue when anyone else. In Beta 2, dictation was not working. I press the mic icon and it acts like it is listening, but nothing is populated. I checked all the normal items and turned off and back on dictation in the keyboard settings and checked in Screentime/App settings.

I was hoping Beta 3 would fix this, but did not. Checked and played with the settings again and restarted the phone a few times with no joy.

Hank3rd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
I am currently trying to erase and reinstall to see if that helps. Then I will submit a bug report, if it is a bug at all. I do not see anyone else with the issue.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
When dictation stopped working for me on my previous iPhone during iOS 17 beta it was because one of the microphones had failed. Hopefully that isn't the case here.

Hank3rd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
When dictation stopped working for me on my previous iPhone during iOS 17 beta it was because one of the microphones had failed. Hopefully that isn't the case here.
Was it the hardware that failed? Did you have to bring it to Apple to get it fixed?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Was it the hardware that failed? Did you have to bring it to Apple to get it fixed?
The authorized service provider that I took it to did a diagnostic and figured out the mic was broken and said it wasn't worth fixing as they have to swap the whole display to swap the front microphone and a new phone would be cheaper. I'm not sure what made the mic stop working exactly but it was during the beta period that dictation stopped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.