Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple last week sent out emails to developers who are in possession of a Developer Transition Kit, providing instructions on returning the test machines. Developers have now started mailing in their DTKs, with Apple rewarding the promised $500 USD credit once the DTK has been received.

mac-mini-developer-transition-kit-photo-feature.jpg
In appreciation of your participation in the Universal App Quick Start program and to help with your continued development of Universal apps, we'd like to provide you with a one-time-use promo code for $500 toward the purchase of a new M1 Mac or other Apple products ordered through the Apple Store Online.
Developers are receiving the equivalent of $500 USD regardless of country, so those in Canada are receiving C$ 636, while those in Europe will receive 412 euros. In some cases, the amount being paid out by Apple does not match the cost that developers paid to participate in the program as some countries were required to pay more than $500 USD.

The Developer Transition Kits were offered to developers ahead of the release of the M1 Macs to allow them to begin developing apps for Apple silicon chips. The DTKs are Mac minis with an A12Z chip, 16GB RAM, a 512GB SSD, two USB-C ports, two USB-A ports, and an HDMI 2.0 port. The A12Z chip in the DTK was first developed for the 2020 iPad Pro models.

Apple has asked developers to return their DTKs by March 31, 2021 in order to get the $500 credit, which can be used toward the purchase of any Apple product.

Apple originally planned to give developers a $200 credit, but later upped that amount to $500 after developers complained about low credit amounts and the technical issues that were experienced during the testing process.

While DTKs must now be sent back, developers will continue to have access to a private discussion forum and technical support from Apple for further app development.

Article Link: Developers Start Receiving $500 Credits for Returning DTK Mac Minis

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I wonder if these will become valuable collectibles due to the fact that some will inevitably not be returned.

Not a very useful collectible; Apple has already dropped software support; DTKs won't get Big Sur 11.3.

opiapr

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2010
Lehigh Valley, PA
In some cases, the amount being paid out by Apple does not match the cost that developers
paid to participate in the program as some countries were required to pay more than $500 USD

They weren't entitled to anything. They did not put down a refundable deposit they paid for access to the DTK without any refund. Apple offered them $200 and then raises it to $500 as a nice gesture. People should understand what contracts they enter into and abide by them. Stop whining afterwards.

I believe real developers understand this. But a lot of people got this DTK with the intention of getting freebie from Apple and those are the ones whining.

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Wish I had a Developer account so I could have had a free play with the DTK Mac Mini for half a year, then whinge and get my money back ?
I have a dev account and thought it would be nice to try one out early, but got busy on other projects. And honestly, these systems seemed like something sort of thrown together.

Acidsplat

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
I think it's different this time because Apple bricked nearly all the machines with a botched Big Sur beta update and didn't get many replacements out, so many developers DTKs became bricks since the Fall. The least they could have done is give us some compensation, as well as ending the 1 year lease early.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
It was not part of the original contract they signed. With that, they paid $500, no credit, and had to return the device at end of the early access lease period.
Except the contact was for a year, Apple changed it and ended it early to me if Apple is going to take something then it should give something. In the original case it was $200 which was a lowball offer considering these things, developers made it public and Apple reconsidered and everyone (almost) is happy. Some developers have reported issues with the DTK with little to no support from Apple (cannot confirm).

There is another thing in many business’ called appreciation and sometimes that is a little token, the belated Steve Jobs understood this while Tim Cooks seems to have lost touch. Without developers a platform will faultier.

Rather than piss on the developers or Apple, understand a mutual understanding and agreement can be reached.

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
The developers shouldn't have gotten any credit. Nothing. They agreed to lease the equipment for use to develop their apps and the lease price was $500USD. They are entrepreneurs. That's the cost of doing business. Period. You don't get money back or credit for leasing a car when you return the car and you don't get money back or credit for leasing an apartment when you move out. Apple offering this credit is outrageously generous but it certainly should not have been given.
As I said before there is no need for this to be public news. It's a contract between two parties.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
The developers shouldn't have gotten any credit. Nothing. They agreed to lease the equipment for use to develop their apps and the lease price was $500USD. They are entrepreneurs. That's the cost of doing business. Period. You don't get money back or credit for leasing a car when you return the car and you don't get money back or credit for leasing an apartment when you move out. Apple offering this credit is outrageously generous but it certainly should not have been given.
As I said before there is no need for this to be public news. It's a contract between two parties.

Apple will write-off the $500 USD credit anyhow, no biggy. I don’t understand the dislike and hate concerning this issue though I feel it’s drawn out.

Acidsplat

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
They ended the lease early after bricking tons of units, while a majority didn't get replacements after months of trying to get in touch with Apple.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
In the original case it was $200 which was a lowball offer considering these things, developers made it public and Apple reconsidered and everyone (almost) is happy.

There is another thing in many business’ called appreciation and sometimes that is a little token, the belated Steve Jobs understood this while Tim Cooks seems to have lost touch.
The $200 was the little token of appreciation, under Tim Cook.

You contradict yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: jinnj

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
The $200 was the little token of appreciation, under Tim Cook.

You contradict yourself.
The first offer is always a lowball offer, I have negotiated many contracts on both he sides this is how business works. In sales it’s called bartering.

Not sure how anything I have said is contradictory.

• Disagree
Reactions: opiapr

DesertNomad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Nevada

If you lease a car for a year and after two months the engine seizes through no fault of your own, you'd expect some sort of compensation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.