Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's HomePod has returned to the price of $199.99 today at Best Buy. This sale is a solid $99 discount on the original $299.00 price of the HomePod, and it's one that Best Buy has offered a few times throughout 2020.

homepod-sale-REREREMIX.png
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Best Buy. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This price also represents one of the lowest we've ever tracked for a new HomePod. Best Buy offers free next-day delivery for select qualifying items in the United States, and there are also options to pick up devices at a local store. Both the White and Space Gray color options are on sale at Best Buy.

We track the best deals on HomePod every week, so be sure to bookmark our guide if you're on the hunt for solid HomePod discounts.

Article Link: Deals: HomePod Returns to $199.99 at Best Buy ($99 Off)

tfigs

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2012
Is this worth it for $199? Never felt the need for one but thinking at this price might be the time to get one. Currently play music in my living room through UE Boom 2 or Sony tv speaker set

Reactions: Doomtomb

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I have a couple of these, and they’re really fantastic. Siri + HomeKit is way better than Amazon + Alexa (far better speech comprehension and higher successful command rate), so I switched my whole smart house setup over to Siri. The sound quality is pretty amazing too, so I am using one instead of a sound bar with my Apple TV. That said there are still some bizarre nagging bugs and I wish there was an audio in/audio out jack.

Last edited:

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
Smokes the competition in terms of sound quality and musicality in my opinion. I think $199 should be the going price for this though with a more bare bones mic’d up version primarily for Siri at a much lower price point. Siri works better than most give it credit for, and it’s always improving. And as someone who had Alexa and really used it a lot for smart home functionality, I absolutely find HoneKit/Siri to be more bulletproof and simpler to use and setup. Siri and HomeKit are far from perfect products and HomePod sure ain’t perfect either, but Alexa/Echo get way more credit than they deserve for how ****** and broken down that user experience is.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
To each his own, however blind testing (even testing by those who are considered "pro-Apple") show the Homepod is not the best, let alone "smoking" the competition.

Smokes the competition in terms of sound quality and musicality in my opinion. I think $199 should be the going price for this though with a more bare bones mic’d up version primarily for Siri at a much lower price point. Siri works better than most give it credit for, and it’s always improving. And as someone who had Alexa and really used it a lot for smart home functionality, I absolutely find HoneKit/Siri to be more bulletproof and simpler to use and setup. Siri and HomeKit are far from perfect products and HomePod sure ain’t perfect either, but Alexa/Echo get way more credit than they deserve for how ****** and broken down that user experience is.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
I almost get one every time I see them on sale but then I talk myself out of it

And I usually get another one after considered thought. So far I have five; a stereo pair in the living room, a stereo pair in my garage where I have a woodshop, and a single HomePod in my wife's studio. Since I "borrowed" the one in my studio in order to make a stereo pair in the garage, I need to get one more, making a total of six.

A few months ago another MR contributor mentioned the huge improvement having stereo pairs. He/she was sure right about that!

$199 is an outstanding price.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Put Google into it and I'll buy one.
Actually no, it's till too much for a small mono speaker :(
I had Stereo when I was a small child. Never would I have imagined, in xx years time we'd be paying considerable amount of money for a mono speaker again :(

• Disagree
Reactions: AppleFan78

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
where can I find these blind tests because I swapped a sonos one for a homepod in my office and the sound difference is amazing.

I thought the Sonos One MSPRs for $180-199? If so, I don’t think anyone would be surprised it’s bested by a speaker that MSRPs for $299; wouldn’t really consider that “competition”.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
These things are always going on sale. It makes you question the success of this product.
Every Apple product goes on sale regularly. This isn’t the bad old days of 2002, where every Apple authorized retailer gave the same $5 discount compared to Apple’s official pricing.

Reactions: KeithBN

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
And for folks in the UK, it's still at £199 - including tax - at John Lewis.

fishman6

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
Do NOT pay attention to any negative comments here. They probably work for the competition. The HomePod is worth buying at $500. The bass booms and the highs and mids are crisp and clear. The volume fills any normal sized room. Better snatch two at this price. You will thank me later. Give them as gifts and you will have friends for life. I don’t bother with Siri on mine. Use your phone to stream anything you want: Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music, whatever.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
Is this worth it for $199? Never felt the need for one but thinking at this price might be the time to get one. Currently play music in my living room through UE Boom 2 or Sony tv speaker set

I think it's worth it. I have eight scattered throughout my place, and I find them quite convenient. I didn't start enjoying the Homepod until I added a second one. I have physical impairments so they provide a means to call somebody should I fall.

Last edited:

Amadeo

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I bought four during the last sale (which wasn't long ago — to the point about them always being put on sale). I'm not going to make some scientific-based argument about sound quality, but they were purchased to replace a few of my Sonos Play:1s, and I personally find them to be noticeably better sounding.

Additionally, I started purchasing them to switch my entire home over from Sonos to HomePods (short of the television setup), and I've been incredibly satisfied. If you were already someone who was fully entrenched in the Apple ecosystem (used Siri, Apple Music, Podcasts, etc.), then HomePods will only make your life better. I use them on conjunction with Sonos One SLs in our bathrooms, and they work flawlessly via Airplay 2.

I think $300 is a bit high, but $200 is spot on. To the people saying they're still $100 too high, you're playing yourself. These are not $100 speakers. That's your bias speaking.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I have a couple of these, and they’re really fantastic. Siri + HomeKit is way better than Amazon + Alexa (far better speech comprehension and higher successful command rate), so I switched my whole smart house setup over to Siri. The sound quality is pretty amazing too, so I am using one instead of a sound at with my Apple TV. That said there are still some bizarre nagging bugs and I wish there was an audio in/audio out jack.
but don't you have Siri and HomeKit on your apple watch and iPhone? I still don't know if id use one of these I have my watch always on and I give it commands and same with my phone. sitting next to me hey Siri turn on scene.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.