Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Best Buy has a new Apple Shopping Event happening today, which includes a return of the HomePod's Black Friday sale price of $199.99. This remains one of the lowest prices we've ever tracked for a new HomePod, and is the best you'll find online this week.

homepod-duo.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Best Buy. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Apple sells the HomePod for $299.00, making this a solid $99 discount on the original price of the smart speaker. Best Buy offers free next-day delivery for most shoppers in the United States, and there are also options to pick up devices at a local store.

Besides the HomePod, Best Buy has solid deals on the seventh generation iPad. You can get the 32GB Wi-Fi model for $249.99, down from $329.00; the 128GB Wi-Fi model is priced at $329.99, down from $429.00. The cellular versions of the 32GB and 128GB iPad are on sale as well, priced at $379.99 and $459.99, respectively.

In terms of other audio products, the Powerbeats Pro have also returned to their lowest-ever price of $199.99, down from $249.99. This $50 discount is the best deal we've seen on the wireless Beats headphones since they launched, and it's available in all four colors.

If you're on the hunt for more discounts, be sure to visit our Apple Deals roundup where we recap the best Apple-related bargains of the past week.

Article Link: Deals: Get the HomePod for $199.99 at Best Buy ($99 Off)

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Looks like it's time to purchase my 4th HomePod.

Holy cow, why so many? I’m genuinely curious what you do with them all. We have one and my wife hates it. I enjoy listening to music off of it though. It’s a very enjoyable experience.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

Hodar1

macrumors regular
I have one, have had it for a few years - ever since they were $199 on Black Friday at Best Buy. Color me UNDER whelmed, way, way, way UNDERwhelmed.

Why? You would think I would pair it just ONCE with the AppleTV that sits just 36 inches away. You would be wrong. It disconnects randomly. I bought it to be an "improved TV speaker" for the downstairs 50" Plasma (yeah, old TV but it works just fine). Thing is, there is absolutely no such thing as an EQ settings for movies, music, concerts, news, sports, sci-fi movies or action movies on the Apple HomePod. So, dialog is often WORSE than what I have on the TV. Yeah, worse than that found on a stand alone TV.

Siri is unaware of multiple instances - so when I tell my watch to set a time for the BBQ grill off the deck, the HomePod used to chime in (cancelling my watch's instance of Siri) and announce that it had no timer. Now, it sets a time without saying anything else - still cancels my watch's timer. And this is the awesome part - when the HomePod timer goes off, no amount of "Siri, Stop Timer", "Siri, Stop that", "Siri, Be Quiet", or "Siri, Cancel Timer" works. The timer goes off chiming constantly without a chance to stop it. Touching the top just has Siri say "Stop Timer", and the chiming continues. So - yank the cord.

The HomePod is a joke. Not a funny, ha-ha joke. An irritating, expensive speaker that barely does what it's designed to do, doesn't play well with your Apple devices (2 Macs, 2 Watch's, 4 AppleTV's , 2 iPads and 2 iPhones) type of joke. It cannot tell when you are talking to your watch, phone or if you are addressing it. It seems blissfully unaware of the networked Music Library of MY SONGS that I like to listen to - I mean, I have tens of thousands of songs on my home network - so when it plays music - and I have songs from the 1960's through today - it plays RAP. And I can assure you I own exactly ZERO Rap. So, it doesn't even recognize the music collection associated with my AppleID, on the network it's associated, with the iPhone it's tied to.

Spend your money on a Google or Amazon device. Sure, they may record you having sex; but at least their products work as advertized.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
In the same boat. Thinking it’s time for the bedroom to get a stereo pair.

I don't have any stereo pairs, yet. I currently one in my studio, one in my wife's studio, and one in my wood shop. I'm now thinking of one for either the living room or front porch (assuming I can adequately protect it).

Reactions: iAssimilated

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I have one, have had it for a few years - ever since they were $199 on Black Friday at Best Buy. Color me UNDER whelmed, way, way, way UNDERwhelmed.

Why? You would think I would pair it just ONCE with the AppleTV that sits just 36 inches away. You would be wrong. It disconnects randomly. I bought it to be an "improved TV speaker" for the downstairs 50" Plasma (yeah, old TV but it works just fine). Thing is, there is absolutely no such thing as an EQ settings for movies, music, concerts, news, sports, sci-fi movies or action movies on the Apple HomePod. So, dialog is often WORSE than what I have on the TV. Yeah, worse than that found on a stand alone TV.

Siri is unaware of multiple instances - so when I tell my watch to set a time for the BBQ grill off the deck, the HomePod used to chime in (cancelling my watch's instance of Siri) and announce that it had no timer. Now, it sets a time without saying anything else - still cancels my watch's timer. And this is the awesome part - when the HomePod timer goes off, no amount of "Siri, Stop Timer", "Siri, Stop that", "Siri, Be Quiet", or "Siri, Cancel Timer" works. The timer goes off chiming constantly without a chance to stop it. Touching the top just has Siri say "Stop Timer", and the chiming continues. So - yank the cord.

The HomePod is a joke. Not a funny, ha-ha joke. An irritating, expensive speaker that barely does what it's designed to do, doesn't play well with your Apple devices (2 Macs, 2 Watch's, 4 AppleTV's , 2 iPads and 2 iPhones) type of joke. It cannot tell when you are talking to your watch, phone or if you are addressing it. It seems blissfully unaware of the networked Music Library of MY SONGS that I like to listen to - I mean, I have tens of thousands of songs on my home network - so when it plays music - and I have songs from the 1960's through today - it plays RAP. And I can assure you I own exactly ZERO Rap. So, it doesn't even recognize the music collection associated with my AppleID, on the network it's associated, with the iPhone it's tied to.

Spend your money on a Google or Amazon device. Sure, they may record you having sex; but at least their products work as advertized.

Plasma TV is far better than all the LED/LCD panels (e.g. black levels, off angle viewing etc), folks who know quality know this fact. OLED is another story, but plasma is gorgeous.

Id love to get a HomePod but the limited functionality is annoying

Reactions: Huck

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
Holy cow, why so many? I’m genuinely curious what you do with them all. We have one and my wife hates it. I enjoy listening to music off of it though. It’s a very enjoyable experience.

See post# 8, above.

I't nice to be able to walk into a room where I spend considerable time and be able to say something like, "Hey Siri, play jazz," or "Hey Siri, Play Johnny Shines." And it just happens. With excellent quality.

Also... The best part is that it's autonomous, not needing to engage another device (computer/phone/tablet).

Last edited:

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
I bought it to be an "improved TV speaker" for the downstairs 50" Plasma (yeah, old TV but it works just fine).

Not meant to be a TV speaker. Plain and simple.

Apple made it to go hand-in-hand with Apple Music. Bought it with that exact use case in mind a long time ago (maybe right when they first came out?) and have loved it ever since. This is a great price and if I actually had the money I’d love a studio pair in my room so much.

And this is the awesome part - when the HomePod timer goes off, no amount of "Siri, Stop Timer", "Siri, Stop that", "Siri, Be Quiet", or "Siri, Cancel Timer" works. The timer goes off chiming constantly without a chance to stop it. Touching the top just has Siri say "Stop Timer", and the chiming continues. So - yank the cord.

On this note—this genuinely sounds like something you should contact Apple Support about.

Hodar1

macrumors regular
Not meant to be a TV speaker. Plain and simple.

Apple made it to go hand-in-hand with Apple Music. Bought it with that exact use case in mind a long time ago (maybe right when they first came out?) and have loved it ever since. This is a great price and if I actually had the money I’d love a studio pair in my room so much.

On this note—this genuinely sounds like something you should contact Apple Support about.
Is this something along the line of "You are not holding it right"?

It's a SPEAKER. In this Market Segment, it should do the job of a SPEAKER - you know, like SONOS, BOSE, JBL, Amazon, Google, Sony, LG and everyone else who somehow - manages to do all this, and do it reasonably well. At the price point it's at, it should provide similar capabilities - you know, seperate EQ's for Movies, TV, Sports, Concerts, spoken word - just like the competition.

Somehow, the iPhone and iPad have EQ settings built into the OS. Yet, mysterously, the SINGLE DEVICE that has a single purpose of making sound - doesn't have this basic feature. Please explain how lack of features is a good thing, I'm all ears.

yasas

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2019
If I regret spending money on something, it must be the stereo pair of Homepods I’ve got. It’s literally unusable in my apartment. Countless connection problems with the AppleTV and iPhone. Constant disconnect, not able to find the Homepods, only one speaker working instead of as Stereo pair..

Then the worst thing of them all, the sound! I’m not able to play anything else except of classical music and jazz, since any song with even the slightest amount of base the HomePod will ramp the bass up to the Max so that any other musical element is completely drowned out but the floor is shaking even on the lowest settings.

While I didn’t get it for the Siri capabilities, she is particularly dumb as well.. „Hey Siri, turn the light blue“ SURE, here is the song blue by ... she also is obnoxiously loud and talks way too much. If you like to go on a war with your neighbors or roommates, it’s the product to go !

these speakers could have been so amazing with updates but at this moment they are justan expensive accessory for me..

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
I can't speak for the OP but I have one in my bedroom, living room, kitchen and home office. I have an Ecobee thermostat and lots of Homekit controlled lights that I can voice control through any HomePod plus I have an Apple Music subscription so I get my money's worth out of them.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany

Get a second and you'll see the difference after pairing them - its huge in terms of the achieved sound experience. And if you have equipped more rooms, the same counts for each one of them :cool:

Last edited:

johng2222

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2005
I bought one the last time they were on sale at BB, about two months ago. Been an Apple fan since 1984 but I couldn't see a fully justfied use case for this thing - if you can run speaker wire instead. Their older wired/wireless extenders, for example, did much of the same things these do in terms of playing music. As for Siri, well, my phone or my watch is usually on my wrist or in my pocket, so... We had some problems with the wifi and our 2010 imac, and Homepod "support" was horrible. I found and fixed the problem on my own, but only after I just refused to talk to "support" another minute. What happened to Apple's support people who used to know how to do things? Yeah, I fixed the imac issue and got the Homepod working... Even so, after a week we gave it up and sent it back. Thing is, even if it worked, it was more gimmick than finished product, and, the lack of any input from a device to the speakers was just, in the end, a total "no go." If Apple wants to pass these around to subscribers to it's monthly services like 3D glasses at a 3D movie, that makes some sense, but to SELL this with limited uses/usefulness seems short-sighted to me. I assume the next version will have inputs and work with more services AND be cheaper - at least a discount for buying two or more. Disappointed... But, not surprised... Kind of like itunes only working on macs for the early years... Opening it up to Windows - a change in thinking - made them a fortune that just keeps growing. Not biting on this version again - even if the price goes lower. Mostly because I'm sure the next version HAS to be better.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Get a second and you'll see the difference after pairing them - its huge in terms of the achieved sound experience. And if you have equipped more rooms, the same counts fore each one of them :cool:
My brother and I both have a HomePod and when he’s around, using them as a studio pair is amazing. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a feature they really start to emphasize in marketing whenever that cheaper HomePod that’s been in the rumor chain comes out.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
I had high hopes for the HomePod but looking back I’m now really glad I built my house with speakers in mind. My 12 Sonos Amps kick butt compared to this. 4 echo dots get the AI done just fine when needed, which isn’t much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.