Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's HomePod is again being discounted to its lowest-ever price of $199.99 this month at Best Buy. This sale is a solid $99 discount on the original $299.00 price of the HomePod, and it's one that Best Buy has offered a few times throughout 2020.

homepod-duo.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Best Buy. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Best Buy offers free next-day delivery for most shoppers in the United States, and there are also options to pick up devices at a local store. Both the White and Space Gray color options are on sale at Best Buy, although stock does appear to be running low on the White HomePod.

Head to Best Buy to shop for more deals going on right now, including savings on iPhone and select Beats headphones. If you're on the hunt for more discounts, be sure to visit our Apple Deals roundup where we recap the best Apple-related bargains of the past week.

Article Link: Deals: Best Buy Clearing Out HomePod Inventory With Return of $199.99 Price Tag ($99 Off)

JuBe

macrumors regular
May 28, 2009

Apple's HomePod is again being discounted to its lowest-ever price of $199.99 this month at Best Buy. This sale is a solid $99 discount on the original $299.00 price of the HomePod, and it's one that Best Buy has offered a few times throughout 2020.

homepod-duo.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Best Buy. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Best Buy offers free next-day delivery for most shoppers in the United States, and there are also options to pick up devices at a local store. Both the White and Space Gray color options are on sale at Best Buy, although stock does appear to be running low on the White HomePod.

Head to Best Buy to shop for more deals going on right now, including savings on iPhone and select Beats headphones. If you're on the hunt for more discounts, be sure to visit our Apple Deals roundup where we recap the best Apple-related bargains of the past week.

Article Link: Deals: Best Buy Clearing Out HomePod Inventory With Return of $199.99 Price Tag ($99 Off)

That's the price it should have started at; if they had the $99 off now, then it might make financial sense (at least for me).

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
What's the evidence that Best Buy is "clearing out HomePod inventory" rather than simply offering a sale on the HomePod as the article notes they've done before (and as Best Buy and every other retailer does on hundreds of other items)?
[automerge]1589804502[/automerge]
A solid $99 discount? ?

Solid 99 is equal to 100, just as a baker's dozen is one more than a regular dozen. ?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
These have been $199.99 at Best Buy several times before. I wouldn’t say it’s trying to clear out inventory as much as it could be trying to dump excessive inventory.

But who knows, maybe Apple is killing the big HomePod and will only sell the mini. Only confirmation that a smaller HomePod was in development. We’ve had no leaks of a HomePod 2. In this age of Prosser leaking everything, I feel like that would have been mentioned by no.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
There is no way to know of inventory is being cleared out and this is a presumptive guess by MR. And while the sound is amazing from these little gems of a speaker, everything else software wise (I’m looking at you Siri) is absolute trash.

made the decision to buy two of the arc kits from Sonos and give those a try. Tim Apple is an embarrassment To the house Steve built. There will be some nice products along the way, but we are long past the days of great hardware and software that had tighter quality control. The ship has gotten sloppy.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
What's the evidence that Best Buy is "clearing out HomePod inventory" rather than simply offering a sale on the HomePod as the article notes they've done before (and as Best Buy and every other retailer does on hundreds of other items)?
Like the swallows returning to Capistrano, every time Best Buy offers a sale on an Apple product the reflexive response is to claim "clearing out inventory to make way for a new model". This is probably a hold-over from the old days when Apple didn't offer sales on their products. But their marketing model has changed and partners like Best Buy regularly offer discounts for no other reason than to temporarily boost sales.

The_Joker13

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2016
Florida
Really hope we see some new HomeKit products/upgrades at WWDC. I’m currently in the market to get my home smart and would love to drop Alexa from my home altogether. Love Apple and the ecosystem but holy crap have they dropped the ball with home automation/speakers. Please Apple, MY WALLET IS READY!

Reactions: Bswails

drlamb

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
Ann Arbor, MI
I still love the stereo pair I got @ $250/each on Black friday 2 years ago as they fit perfectly into my small bedroom setup with one on each nightstand with a wall mounted TV at the foot of the bed. For the size they're simply unmatched.

The only issues I've had are sometimes my Apple TV 4K will fallback to HDMI audio forcing me to go into audio settings and select/unselect the homepods again. A minor annoyance that usually only has to be done once per session, if at all. Some apps have no problems resuming stereo audio, others (*cough* youtube) seem to require fixing every time.

My only wish is that Apple opens up Bluetooth on them and that the new Apple TV 4K supports the VP9 Codec.

Edit: That being said I did have to factory reset them once as they would NOT delete a 6am alarm that siri was adamant was gone. (Home app didn't do anything)

Me: "Hey Siri, delete my 6am alarm"

Siri: "I deleted your 6am alarm"

Me: "Hey Siri, what alarms are on?"

Siri: "You have an alarm set for 6am"

Don't even get me started if you happen to have a regular alarm and a timer alarm set for the same time. Goodluck getting siri to disable either one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alfredo_Delgado

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
Not sure where all the bad press on these keep coming from, likely people who don't have a smart home setup. I have 20+ hues, locks, cameras, and Siri works flawlessly. Great sound, beats Alexa and Google for picking up a normal speaking voice request, and my data isn't being used to create a better advertising profile!

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I had paired mine to Apple TV yesterday and tried to watch a Facebook live video. So much lag that it was unwatchable. Audio syncing did nothing so I gave up removed it from ATV. Sad.

• Wow
Reactions: Alfredo_Delgado

Machead2012

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
From day one of its release I called this product DOA. Discounted 99 USD and they still can't give this turd away.

Reactions: Wackery

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Not sure where all the bad press on these keep coming from, likely people who don't have a smart home setup. I have 20+ hues, locks, cameras, and Siri works flawlessly. Great sound, beats Alexa and Google for picking up a normal speaking voice request, and my data isn't being used to create a better advertising profile!

it’s because when you invoke Siri and ask it to send a message or something similar it gets hung up A LOT. Apple May claim they don’t collect date but they do. The issue is there is a lot more potential and they never wanted to show it’s worth. Basically they gave it the same treatment the Apple TV got at first. Plus their software this lastyear in whole has been the worst.

• Love
Reactions: Bswails

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I ended up buying a pair of Klipsch speakers way back when the HomePod was seemingly in release limbo, and I barely use them.

I still want a HomePod but I fear I won’t use it any more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.