Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced the launch of a new "Help me Write" feature that is available for the Chrome browser on both Macs and Windows PCs. It is a tool that is able to help users start writing something, or refine something that's already been written.

google-help-me-write-example-1.jpg

Help me Write uses the Gemini model that Google announced back in December. At the time, Google said that Gemini was its most capable and general model to date, created through large-scale collaborative efforts by teams across Google.

According to Google, the Help me Write feature can be used for everything from online reviews to support requests to product listings. The AI model is able to understand the context of the webpage that the user is on to provide suggestions for relevant content.

google-help-me-write-example-2.jpg

As an example, a person writing a review for a pair of shoes might see suggestions that include key features from the product page that support the user's opinion to make a review more valuable. For an online listing of something that's being sold on eBay or another site, users can write a quick outline and have the Help me Write feature provide a more well-written summary. The same goes for online support inquiries.

Help me Write is available in Chrome M122, and it can be used in the United States in English. The feature can be enabled by signing into Chrome, selecting the Settings option from the three-dot menu, and navigating to the Experimental AI page. To use it, right click on any open text field in Chrome and choose the Help me Write option.

Article Link: Chrome for Mac Gains 'Help Me Write' Generative AI Feature

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: gusmula

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
As an example, a person writing a review for a pair of shoes might see suggestions that include key features from the product page that support the user's opinion to make a review more valuable.
Chrome auto-populating a review with regurgitated manufacturer talking points from the product page may make the review more valuable for the manufacturer selling the product, but it doesn't make the review more valuable for a potential customer looking for an unbiased opinion.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
“Help me write this comment.”
“Okay, here's a generic comment you could use on MacRumors:”

"I'm excited to see what Apple has in store for their upcoming product lineup. They always seem to push the boundaries of innovation, and I can't wait to see how they continue to improve their devices. Fingers crossed for some exciting announcements soon!"

Hits the mark rather well, actually.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Here's how it will be helpful to so many Macrumor commenters:

Help me write: "Apple is greedy and they don't care about their users"
Length: Long
Tone: Aggressive and negative

Help me write: "Apple is controlling and should allow side-loading"
Length: Medium
Tone: Entitled

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Meanwhile in Safari we still can't sort bookmarks.

I guess the technologies not quite there yet
As MR users will let you know, you are not Tim Cook so you don't know how to run Apple, and you are not Apple engineers so you don't understand the technical difficulties, and you are not Apple designers so you don't know the best user experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.