Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

OpenAI has announced a new Read Aloud feature for its official ChatGPT app for iPhone and iPad that allows users to have the chat bot read responses out loud in one of five voice options.

chatgpt-for-iphone-feature.jpg

In the app, tap and hold the chat bot's text response, and then tap Read Aloud. You can also play, pause, or rewind the readout. The feature, which is also available on the web version of ChatGPT, adds another layer of voice-based interaction, and builds on the existing Voice Chat feature, which gives users the option of speaking conversationally with the chat bot instead of typing.

Read Aloud can speak 37 languages and can auto-detect the language of the text that it is reading. OpenAI says the feature should enhance accessibility for users with visual impairments or reading difficulties, such as dyslexia. It also hopes Read Aloud improves engagement by personalizing the interaction, while also supporting language learning.

As most people will know by now, ChatGPT is an AI-based chatbot that uses generative artificial intelligence to answer questions and provide advice on all manner of subjects. History is synced across devices, so you can see your ChatGPT interactions both on the web and on iOS devices, and it integrates the Whisper speech recognition system.

Article Link: ChatGPT for iPhone and iPad Can Now Read Responses Out Loud

vicviper789

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2013
Didn't apple allow apps to use the siri API?
We just need to get chatGPT to say "hey seeree call dawd" out loud so Siri can hear it properly and call dad.

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Maybe it’s official now, but this feature has been available for me since February, on the official app.
Yup, I've had it since January in Australia. I think the story was only picked up because they were advertising it. Not a big deal.

Reactions: charlesdayton

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
They did that (for free) after 1 year the app is online.
Meanwhile Siri is still trying to understand which contact to call.
Yesterday, I asked Siri to "remind me to buy new red ballpen refill" and what I got bore no relation to that. I wouldn't trust Siri to call or text the right person, either, never mind what text it might produce in a message.

"Remind me about this later" when I have an email open works half of the time - the other 25% Siri asks "What do you want to be reminded about?" or puts a reminder in Reminders called "remind me about this later...."

I don't want Siri to be like ChatGPT either. Banal, emotionless trawling through the internet, telling me stuff which is either obvious or may be wrong.

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
I'm surprised the EU haven't passed a law yet requiring companies to uphold anything their AI bots say. They've done USB-C chargers, the App Store - perhaps this is next. Meanwhile, here in Japan, the government couldn't care less what chargers companies sell and their customers choose to buy - and last week some driving licence centres couldn't issue licenses on February 29th because of a leap year-related glitch.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula and B4U

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
I'm surprised the EU haven't passed a law yet requiring companies to uphold anything their AI bots say. They've done USB-C chargers, the App Store - perhaps this is next. Meanwhile, here in Japan, the government couldn't care less what chargers companies sell and their customers choose to buy - and last week some driving licence centres couldn't issue licenses on February 29th because of a leap year-related glitch.

Who needs the EU, Canada is leading that charge...

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Asked ChatGPT the same question, but got a shorter reply. I wonder if it is country or region specific and how it all works… FWIW, I am in France. 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_9319.jpeg

Stuartglossop

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2023

OpenAI has announced a new Read Aloud feature for its official ChatGPT app for iPhone and iPad that allows users to have the chat bot read responses out loud in one of five voice options.

In the app, tap and hold the chat bot's text response, and then tap Read Aloud. You can also play, pause, or rewind the readout. The feature, which is also available on the web version of ChatGPT, adds another layer of voice-based interaction, and builds on the existing Voice Chat feature, which gives users the option of speaking conversationally with the chat bot instead of typing.

Read Aloud can speak 37 languages and can auto-detect the language of the text that it is reading. OpenAI says the feature should enhance accessibility for users with visual impairments or reading difficulties, such as dyslexia. It also hopes Read Aloud improves engagement by personalizing the interaction, while also supporting language learning.

As most people will know by now, ChatGPT is an AI-based chatbot that uses generative artificial intelligence to answer questions and provide advice on all manner of subjects. History is synced across devices, so you can see your ChatGPT interactions both on the web and on iOS devices, and it integrates the Whisper speech recognition system.

Asked ChatGPT the same question, but got a shorter reply. I wonder if it is country or region specific and how it all works… FWIW, I am in France. 🤷🏻‍♂️

View attachment 2355762
But

but it still doesn’t know what the date is!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.