Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung at CES has announced its popular Smart Monitor M8 is getting a refresh for 2024, with some extra software features seemingly aimed at deepening the display's support for other devices in the company's ecosystem.

Samsung-Smart-Monitor-M80D.jpg

The upcoming "M80D" model includes a Multi Control feature that allows images and text to be moved between the display and a Galaxy Book, Tablet, or Phone, while a Galaxy Buds owners will be able to pair their earphones for a spatial audio experience with head tracking.

Samsung says it has also added the ability to pair a Galaxy Watch for those looking to perform guided workouts using the display, and an easier way to control monitor settings with the click of a mouse, where previous models only allowed for adjustments via a remote.

Otherwise, it looks like the iMac-style 4K flat-panel monitor hasn't changed in the hardware department from last year's M8 model, which features 400 nits of brightness, a 60Hz refresh rate (non variable), 99% sRGB, and adaptive picture technology.

In addition, the display retains key features like USB-C charging connectivity, AirPlay 2 support, an integrated webcam, and several smart TV features that enable it to be used when not connected to a PC.

Samsung's M8 doesn't support the P3 color gamut and isn't as bright as Apple's 5K Studio Display, but as a more affordable alternative it is likely remain appealing to some Mac users.

The original M8 comes in 27-inch (~$650) and 32-inch (~$700) sizes, although Samsung only mentioned a 32-inch version of the M80D. Regardless, both sizes have a 11.39mm thick chassis, which is 0.1mm thinner than Apple's iMac, and include a flat back, thin bezels, and a height and tilt adjustable stand. Expect Samsung's refreshed monitor to arrive in sometime later in the year.

Article Link: CES 2024: Samsung Unveils Refreshed iMac-Style 32-Inch 4K Smart Monitor

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
I’m still trying to find the “iMac-style”, why do all monitors need to be that ugly? Besides that, I hope we get retina resolutions at affordable prices some time in the next decade…

Reactions: KeithBN

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
I will keep an eye on sales for the current model then, because this display is fantastic for the price, especially on sale for $400 or less as I've bought it before.

Reactions: lbmdk1

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
sooo whats the point... they couldn't do a software update with that? A brand new model with the same hardware..... seems not worth calling it a new model
Apple has done worse than that, see for example 2022 iPhones and Apple Watch.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Samsung introduced an update to an existing display, those updates are to make it more connected within its ecosystem and it's all of a sudden an iMac-style display that Samsung has never said and people are getting annoyed at them :)

jamajuel

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2020
4K at 32" is a pretty sad pixel density if you're used to Apple's retina displays.

This seems like it would be a fine fit for someone looking to dual-purpose their monitor as a TV, but it's nowhere near the quality of an iMac screen and doesn't really stand up to comparison.

That's the same problem I always have with these monitors too :(

Reactions: KeithBN and Stenik

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
Too bad monitors are now seen as a profit center via spyware, just like TVs.
Unfortunately that’s how they manage to reduce the prices to a more reasonable point. I think it’s worth the trade off because you don’t have to connect the monitor to an internet connection same as smart TVs

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Unfortunately that’s how they manage to reduce the prices to a more reasonable point. I think it’s worth the trade off because you don’t have to connect the monitor to an internet connection same as smart TVs

Agreed, my smart TVs get occasional firmware updates (and I probably shouldn't even do that) but then are not allowed to talk to the int4rw3bz. You are still paying for the monitor to have a processor and storage for the apps, wireless/wired connectivity, someone to code the apps and someone to compile the spyware data for sale. Hell, it's probably Android behind the scenes! Nothing more gross than attaching an Android monitor to your Apple device!

Last edited:

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
This product doesn't know what it wants to be. Also, when are Apple going to make an AIO smart TV with great audio, great software and an Apple hardware experience. Go on, MR, say "never, Apple TV puck is all we need". No, no no.

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I actually have an M8, and while it's not as nice as an Apple display, I got it for $375. I could buy *4* of the ASDs for the price of this monitor, and for what I use it for, it's fine. If the ASD was $800-1000, I would have sprung for it instead. It looks nice with my Mac Studio and does the job. The panel is an improvement on the 30" ACD I was using.

Reactions: CoMoMacUser

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
The Studio Display looks bad (in terms of pricing) until you start looking at direct alternatives. Recently I watched a video comparison between the Studio Display and Samsung‘s 27in. ViewFinity both priced near exactly the same.

The conclusion: while the Samsung had a comparable panel as good as the Studio Display, and both webcams were meh, in every other respect it wasn’t in the same league.

In terms of construction the Apple SD beats everything else hands down—it’s solidly made with excellent workmanship while everything else is made of plastic and shakes on the table. The height adjustment on the Samsung is crude and stiff while the Apple height-and-tilt (if you order that) is smooth and effortless. The Samsung’s webcam is a clip-on while the Apple’s is built-in. You can adjust the Apple’s brightness from the keyboard while you need a remote with the Samsung. Finally the Samsung’s built-in speakers are atrocious while the Studio Display’s are good.

Yes, you can buy a cheaper alternative to the Studio Display, but the question then becomes: what are you willing to trade off?

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
4K at 32" is a pretty sad pixel density if you're used to Apple's retina displays.

This seems like it would be a fine fit for someone looking to dual-purpose their monitor as a TV, but it's nowhere near the quality of an iMac screen and doesn't really stand up to comparison.

I use 4k at 32” for macOS and it’s not bad at all

I’d love a 32” 5k but there isn’t much out there

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Otherwise, it looks like the iMac-style 4K flat-panel monitor hasn't changed in the hardware department from last year's M8 model, which features 400 nits of brightness, a 60Hz refresh rate (non variable), 99% sRGB, and adaptive picture technology.

which is 0.1mm thinner than Apple's iMac, and include a flat back, thin bezels, and a height and tilt adjustable stand. Expect Samsung's refreshed monitor to arrive in sometime later in the year.

MacRumors at it again with the "iMac-Style" nonsense! 🫠

It's a smart display, not a personal computer. By this logic, any display is "iMac-Style", or the iMac is "display-Style".

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I use 4k at 32” for macOS and it’s not bad at all

I’d love a 32” 5k but there isn’t much out there

Context: I’m coming from a late 2015 iMac 27” i7 machine, just got the M3 MacBook Pro.
Well I had the 27” 5k Apple studio display for a few weeks, disliked the nano screen .. returned it and got the 32” 6k XDR .. it’s so much better. Love its size, crispness, color gamut, HDR.
aa78e5e38a334d5334b4889da00b7b80.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.