Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chipolo in 2021 introduced the ONE Spot, its first Find My-enabled Bluetooth-compatible item tracker, and now the company is adding to its lineup of Find My products with the debut of the Chipolo CARD Spot, designed to be placed inside a wallet.

chipolo-card-spot-2.jpg

The Chipolo CARD Spot works with Apple's Find My network, so it can be added to the Items tab in the Find My app and tracked right alongside Apple devices like iPhones and Macs. When out of range of your own devices, the CARD Spot can leverage Apple products owned by others to relay its location, allowing a lost wallet to be tracked down wherever it is as long as an Apple device is nearby.

According to Chipolo, the CARD Spot has been designed to be thin and sleek, so that it can fit in the card slot of a wallet without adding too much extra bulk. It measures in at 2.4mm or 0.09 inches, which Chipolo says is almost as thin as a bank card.

chipolo-card-spot-1.jpg

The CARD Spot's battery is designed to last for up to two years, and it has IPX5 water resistance so it can withstand unexpected splashes of water. The battery is not replaceable, but Chipolo has a renewal program that allows users to purchase a new CARD Spot at a 50 percent discount after two years with a pre-paid envelope to recycle the old one.

In addition to being trackable through the Find My app, the Chipolo CARD Spot supports all of the other available Find My features as well. A lost wallet with the CARD Spot can be located through sound if it is nearby, and the Notify if Left Behind feature will let you know if you walk off and leave your wallet behind.

The Chipolo CARD Spot can be pre-ordered today from the Chipolo website, and it will start shipping out to customers in February. The Chipolo CARD Spot is priced at $35 for a single tracker and $60 for a two-pack.

Article Link: CES 2022: Chipolo Launches Find My-Compatible Wallet Tracker

Justin Cymbal

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
Definitely planning on getting this

I’m glad that Apple opened up their ‘find my’ network so that other companies like Chipolo can do this

It will be great to have this in my wallet in case I misplace it or leave it behind somewhere

It’s so much nicer to have all of my devices in the ‘find my’ app so that I can see where all of my stuff is

Last edited:

Ion-X

Cancelled
Oct 23, 2017
Such a great idea, and the price is decent if it does last the two years. I currently have an AirTag hanging off my wallet and it might be a bit too conspicuous (of course, it would be best to have two trackers in my wallet!) Fun story, I lost my wallet in Times Square and was able to track it down to the exact location in Queens where it had been taken.

Wish the battery was replaceable like in the AirTag. Apple should make a flat AirTag! We must have wallet AirTags in that crisp shiny white!

Christoffee

Contributor
Jul 26, 2012
UK
Hmmm... I'm 64 years old and I’ve never lost a wallet, phone, keys, eyeglasses, remotes, etc. No brag, just fact. Maybe it is just the way I was raised up to keep track of stuff.
I have never lost them, but I have occasionally left them at work or at home when I am in a rush. The Tile on my keys, and now the AirTag, reassured me that all was fine.

Also, my house has never burned down, but I still have fire insurance.

NCPine

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2021
Track your high value items as a fall back in case something happens! Definitely a needed item and happy to see it. For a wallet, thinness may not be the most important thing, but also flexibility.

>It measures in at 2.4mm or 0.09 inches, which Chipolo says is almost as thin as a bank card.
chipolo thickness = 2.4 mm
standard credit card thickness = 0.76

This is not "almost as thin" if it's 300% thicker. That's two orders of magnitude thicker.

The Chipolo thickness is elequilent to carrying 3 more credit cards stacked on top of each other. I'm not willing to sit on or carry that. I'm sure it could be shaved down a lot. Use flexible circuits. Their limiting factor is probably that they are sourcing standard button cell batteries.

I will say that this is reasonable for passport wallets, or people that don't wear wallets in the back.

Reactions: ritmomundo

JediStarWars

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2015
Tip: Keep important stuff like a wallet in a safe pocket. Common sense and care will save you having to waste money on stuff you don't need. I guess this is for people who forget where they park their $30,000 car.

Not trying to be harsh, but this kind of tech is basically a tax for the stupid.

sudoash

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2011
It's available for pre-order with February delivery in the UK now. I just pre-ordered a 2 pack for £50. If you want to add free shipping, use the promo code SHIPFREE, saves you £5 on the delivery. :)
2-pack for £50 with code REFX932IPHO1D gets it down to £40, add £5 shipping; saves a further £5.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-04 at 16.35.05.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-04 at 16.35.05.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 72
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.