Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
I have 2 Macs. SMB and file sharing turned on. Connection works one way, not the other:

Primary Mac can connect to backup Mac via Finder/Network;
Backup Mac CANNOT connect to primary Mac via Finder/Network.

On the primary Mac I open Finder/Network, see the backup Mac's name, double click, the first time it asked for user/password, and I was looking at its documents folder.

But on the backup Mac, I bring up Finder/Network, see the primary Mac's name in the list, I double click, it hangs on Connect for a long time, and then just says "Connection failed". I tried "Connect As..." and it failed. It shows this: (Bartholomew is the primary Mac):

Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 4.29.56 PM.png

If the firewall is turned off on the primary Mac only, the backup Mac can connect to the primary Mac! I have not done anything with customizing the firewall. Here is what the details look like, it is identical to the backup Mac except for the TurboTax connection lines:
Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 7.47.44 PM.png

Macs are on the same network SSID, same Apple ID, I restarted both, no success. And, the backup Mac can connect to my wife's Windows PC via Finder/Network, no problem.

Why is Firewall preventing connections from the other Mac?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Is FileVault turned On for the primary Mac ("Bartholomew M3 Max")?

I have a simular problem involving FileVault:

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Both Macs have filevault on.
If you are sure that both Macs have the same settings (including users settings in Sharing), there is one more thing:
1) switch off File Sharing,
2) reboot the inaccessible Mac,
3) switch ON File Sharing.
It works for me. This problem is there since Monterey and still not solved in 14.5 Sonoma.
;JOOP!

Reactions: donawalt

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
@Slartibart both Macs are on the latest Sonoma, 14.5

And @Sciuriware , IT WORKED! THANKS! One question - will it work for good now, or do I have to do this again say on an upgrade or something? How long does this solution last?

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
@Slartibart both Macs are on the latest Sonoma, 14.5

And @Sciuriware , IT WORKED! THANKS! One question - will it work for good now, or do I have to do this again say on an upgrade or something? How long does this solution last?
As I got the hint through this forum and NOT from APPLE support, I fear you got to do this
at every reboot, on purpose or by accident (think of auto restart after power drop).
Let's return to this thread when we found it repaired in 14.6 or 15.0 or ....
;JOOP!

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Gotcha - plus, turning off the Firewall takes care of it too. Funny for me how it's just one-way, the other Mac doesn't have an issue. One is an M2 and one is an M3, so similar architectures, same OS. Odd.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Gotcha - plus, turning off the Firewall takes care of it too. Funny for me how it's just one-way, the other Mac doesn't have an issue. One is an M2 and one is an M3, so similar architectures, same OS. Odd.
Similar? Do not think that even all M3's are the same.
I seem to remember that the INTEL Pentium came in flavours.
Any way ... keep the Firewall up and Encryption ON; good for you.
;JOOP!

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
@Sciuriware just for grins I tested it, doing a reboot - you are right, file sharing stops working until the procedure is done again (toggle off file sharing/restart/toggle on file sharing).

I just used the Feedback Assistant app to file a problem report - have you done that? Maybe some problems reports will get it fixed....Feedback Assistant is an app on your Mac. I said it was a Finder problem, connecting to other computers in the drop-downs. Here is me brief problem description:

I have an M2 and M3 MacBook Pro - from the M2 MacBook Pro, it cannot connect to the M3. It can connect to other Windows computers on the network. The M3 can always connect to the M2.

I have found 2 ways to fix this. By turning off the Firewall, it works permanently. Or, Turn off the File Sharing setting, reboot, turn on the file sharing setting, it will work - UNTIL THE NEXT RESTART on the M3 Mac.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
@Sciuriware just for grins I tested it, doing a reboot - you are right, file sharing stops working until the procedure is done again (toggle off file sharing/restart/toggle on file sharing).

I just used the Feedback Assistant app to file a problem report - have you done that? Maybe some problems reports will get it fixed....Feedback Assistant is an app on your Mac. I said it was a Finder problem, connecting to other computers in the drop-downs. Here is me brief problem description:

I have an M2 and M3 MacBook Pro - from the M2 MacBook Pro, it cannot connect to the M3. It can connect to other Windows computers on the network. The M3 can always connect to the M2.

I have found 2 ways to fix this. By turning off the Firewall, it works permanently. Or, Turn off the File Sharing setting, reboot, turn on the file sharing setting, it will work - UNTIL THE NEXT RESTART on the M3 Mac.
It has been reported before, at least 2 times.
Next time you should 'play lawyer':
"... TO HAVE TO TURN OFF THE FIREWALL MAY CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGE TO MY SYSTEM IN GENERAL AND TO ..." etc.
Citizen of the USA? Add a claim of at least 1 million dollar (LOL).

Seriously, thanks for you action.
;JOOP!

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.