Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is expected to offer new AI features in iOS 18 and its other operating systems as an opt-in service, as a way of allowing users wary of the technology to steer clear of it, reports Bloomberg.

iOS-18-Siri-Integrated-Feature.jpg

Apple has been working on a deal with OpenAI to integrate its ChatGPT technology into ‌iOS 18‌, and has come to an agreement to integrate its ChatGPT technology into iPhones and other Apple devices.

That partnership is expected to be announced next week at WWDC. However, the decision to green-light the deal reportedly did not come easily. Executives are said to have had concerns about reputational damage from a "rogue chatbot," while some people within Apple are even said to have a "philosophical aversion" to having a chatbot integrated into Apple software, according to today's report.

Ultimately, however, Apple believed that consumers would expect the cutting-edge technology to be offered by the company. By outsourcing the chatbot function, Apple also believes it can distance itself from any potentially controversial repercussions, and by providing AI features as an opt-in service, consumers will be given the choice of whether to use it or not.
Apple is also in talks with Google about incorporating Gemini into its operating systems. Apple is negotiating the deals on a case-by-case basis, and may ultimately offer a number of third-party chatbots across its operating systems, according to today's report, citing people familiar with the matter.

Apple reportedly began considering a partnership with another company to deliver advanced AI features after it hit a wall in its own artificial intelligence research and development. Apple is known to have been working on its own large language model (LLM), the algorithm that underpins generative AI, and found that its model could power basic features like voice memo transcriptions, photo editing, new Safari search capabilities, and auto-replies for Mail and Messages. However, Apple is said to have realized "early on" that competitors like Google and OpenAI were "far ahead in chatbots and on-the-fly assistance."

In iOS 18, Apple's LLM work will likely be limited to new ‌Siri features, with the virtual assistant expected to be able to‌ control all individual features in apps for the first time. These features are expected to work on-device, with more advanced AI capabilities relying on cloud servers. This may be where OpenAI's technology is more likely to come in. Regardless, Apple is believed to see the OpenAI agreement as a stop-gap measure while it continues to work on its own generative AI technology.

Today's report also claims that Apple is looking beyond chatbots in its AI research, and intends to use LLMs to help power a pair of robotic devices that it is secretly developing. These are said to include the previously rumored table-top robotic arm with an iPad-like display, as well as a mobile robot that can follow users around and handle chores on their behalf. Apple reportedly also plans to integrate cameras and AI features into future AirPods.

Article Link: Bloomberg: iOS 18 Advanced AI Features Likely to Be Opt-In Service

Last edited:
Reactions: Mity and KeithBN

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2018
This fully aligns with the fact that Apple most likely can't support all the AI requests if some 50-70% of all iPhone owners jump to iOS 18 within a few months from launch.

"Opt-in" sounds to me like it's going to be a new service with a monthly fee or only be available as a part of either Apple One or some of the most expensive iCloud+ plans. You then opt in and pay an extra fee on top of your Apple One or iCloud+ plan. Non-AI bundles will still be available.

Apple giving every iOS 18 user free AI and paying server costs out of pocket only makes sense if its competitors offer the same with no monthly fees for AI.

But I do expect Apple maybe offering this service for free for a few months, to get us hooked. Or maybe because it's going to be super buggy and "in-beta" initially.

Still unlikely as that could lead to way more server traffic than Apple can support right now.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Fortunately my iPhone 14 Pro is obsolete and don’t have to worry about such things :rolleyes:
Features being restricted to new models isn't anything new. 14 Pro will be 2 years old by the time iOS 18/iPhone 16 comes out.

You'll likely get some AI features (all cloud powered ones) but not them all due to RAM (and possibly storage) limitations. Again, this isn't a new thing with Apple. There is no reason to expect Apple to bring all new features to old models.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
But I do expect Apple maybe offering this service for free for a few months, to get us hooked. Or maybe because it's going to be super buggy and "in-beta" initially.
They'll get in a lot of trouble for doing that if they advertise these new features to sell iPhone 16 and then start charging for it down the road.

If they say it's free for x months or a year because it's in Beta then fair enough.

Hails09

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
It should be opt-in. I hope Apple does go this route. I want to keep that off my phone and ipad as much as possible, and don't want to have to search through who knows how many menus to turn everything off (assuming that would actually turn them off).
I don’t understand your thinking as this will be the main theme for iOS 18 & you don’t want to use the features.
My question would be why upgrade to iOS 18 if you don’t want to use any of this & just stay on iOS 17

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
I don’t understand your thinking as this will be the main theme for iOS 18 & you don’t want to use the features.
My question would be why upgrade to iOS 18 if you don’t want to use any of this & just stay on iOS 17
You upgrade for security fixes and hopefully bug fixes. Plus AI won’t likely be the only new features.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
This fully aligns with the fact that Apple most likely can't support all the AI requests if some 50-70% of all iPhone owners jump to iOS 18 within a few months from launch.

"Opt-in" sounds to me like it's going to be a new service with a monthly fee or only be available as a part of either Apple One or some of the most expensive iCloud+ plans. You then opt in and pay an extra fee on top of your Apple One or iCloud+ plan. Non-AI bundles will still be available.

Apple giving every iOS 18 user free AI and paying server costs out of pocket only makes sense if its competitors offer the same with no monthly fees for AI.

Still unlikely as that could lead to way more server traffic than Apple can support right now.
Siri has always been free yet hit servers. I’d be shocked if AI had any sort of fee.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Opt in good.

Clearly explained firewalls better.

Fact Apple needs to purchase these services shows a significant failure of management to be competitive in this tech.

I hope Apple didn’t have to concede something that will end up in one’s personal info going to the AI vendors.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Maybe they are not confident that their on-device LLM is efficient enough and would perform without slowing down the device and hence, by making it optional, at least the device will function and deliver its primary objectives? Once they are optimised after a few iterations, then people will automatically enable it on their devices.

pksv

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2024
The number of people being so much against AI in total is staggering and makes me dumbfounded.

I'm not talking about people having doubts about this or that solution, or talking about the need for restrictions on certain implementations, or talking about safety. I'm talking about total opponents for whom AI = bad, "remove and stop it!" I'm really reliving the early '00s again. "internet bad and useless!"

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
The number of people being so much against AI in total is staggering and makes me dumbfounded.

I'm not talking about people having doubts about this or that solution, or talking about the need for restrictions on certain implementations, or talking about safety. I'm talking about total opponents for whom AI = bad, "remove and stop it!" I'm really reliving the early '00s again. "internet bad and useless!"
To be fair internet has proven quite bad and for large parts useless. Just look at what social media is doing to kids mental health and how much time people waste watching YouTube or other ahem... video sites.

MarkNY

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
I'm kind of a later adopter on using ChatGPT, but once you start using it, Siri is 100% completely inadequate. Apple had no choice here. You will be having conversations with your phone -- you will be! Or at least you will be giving verbal directives.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
Massive lack of RAM finally hits Apple from behind...

...so they have to rent services from other companies. ;)
This.

The utter disgusting greedy attitude towards ram from Apple has finally caught up with them.

I hope the backlash from non shill media over the lack of AI for older models is massive because Apple needs a wake up call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.