Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Best Buy has opened up a new "Member Deals Days" sale, featuring thousands of discounts available exclusively to My Best Buy Plus and Total members. New deals will appear every day of the event, which ends this Sunday, June 30.

macbook-air-and-pro-blue.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Best Buy. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

In order to gain access to these deals, you'll need to be a My Best Buy Plus or Total member. These services are available starting at $49.99 per year, and offer free two-day shipping, an extended 60-day return window on most products, exclusive access to certain sales like Member Deals Days, and more.

In terms of Apple products, the best deals available during this event are on the 13-inch M2 MacBook Air. You can get the 256GB model for $849.00 and the 512GB model for $1,049.00, both of which are $150 off original prices and solid second-best discounts.

There are also a few noteworthy 16-inch MacBook Pro discounts at Best Buy this week. The retailer has the 12-Core M3 Pro/18GB RAM/512GB model for $2,149.00, down from $2,499.00, and the 12-Core M3 Pro/36GB RAM/512GB model for $2,499.00, down from $2,899.00. These are both all-time low prices on the 16-inch MacBook Pro, and although Best Buy has more MacBook Pro discounts during its new sale, these are the best you'll find.

Of course, the Member Deals Days sale has many discounts other than Apple products, including TVs, video games, PCs, headphones, home appliances, and more. Keep up with all of this week's best discounts on Apple products and related accessories in our dedicated Apple Deals roundup.

Article Link: Best Buy's 'Member Deals Days' Sale Introduces Low Prices on MacBooks and Much More Exclusively for Members

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
What have they done to us. $2,500 is a low price for a computer? :( Somebody quantum computing is going to drive these impressive unrepairable SOC devices straight into the ground chromebook style
Adjusted for inflation computers of the 80s and 90s would easily cost 5000 plus dollars these days if there hadn’t been an explosion in demand

We live in amazing times where such powerful computers are so relatively cheap compared to yesteryear

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Adjusted for inflation computers of the 80s and 90s would easily cost 5000 plus dollars these days if there hadn’t been an explosion in demand

We live in amazing times where such powerful computers are so relatively cheap compared to yesteryear
I paid $1499 for a clamshell iBook G3 and that was the base level, cheapest Apple notebook available. The PowerBook G3 was starting at $2499 at that time, the reason I got the iBook instead.

Reactions: Fuzzball84

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I paid $1499 for a clamshell iBook G3 and that was the base level, cheapest Apple notebook available. The PowerBook G3 was starting at $2499 at that time, the reason I got the iBook instead.
Ah, those days…

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
What have they done to us. $2,500 is a low price for a computer? :( Somebody quantum computing is going to drive these impressive unrepairable SOC devices straight into the ground chromebook style

Today's prices are pretty good when you consider that the 128K Macintosh originally started at $2,495 (around $7,700 in today’s dollars) 40 years go. Apple has long offered "premium" priced devices.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
At this point, I'm good on tech, I just with the prices of food, housing, cars, etc., would come back to reality so people aren't hurting.

Car prices aren't as bad as some think. A reason average prices may seem high is because people keep (unnecessarily) buying higher end and/or over-optioned cars thanks to leasing, longer and longer term financing, etc. This is especially true for luxury brands like Mercedes-Benz. 40 years ago, the starting price of the CHEAPEST Mercedes-Benz sold in the U.S. (the subcompact 190E) was around $72,000 inflation adjusted. Mercedes offers several models today with starting prices much lower than that.

What has largely happened over time is that people's standards have continued to increase (larger houses, higher end or higher optioned cars, more and more "stuff", etc.).

Last edited:

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
We lived through a period of extremely cheap food. I believe it’s unlikely to go back to that for a while and not until technology makes it more feasible.

Lack of tech didn't cause cost of living to rise. Things will be back to normal soon enough.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Lack of tech didn't cause cost of living to rise. Things will be back to normal soon enough.
Not lack of tech but various factors… but in the future it’s possible that technology advancements could provide foods and other materials much more cheaply again.

I’d not count on things back to “normal”. The world is changing big time.

Reactions: mansplains

rippley5150

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2015
Sterling VA
I wish I could've had a clamshell. There was guy or a very small company based out of Hong Kong that was putting Macbook Air parts into modified clamshells. They were expensive but looked very cool.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I wish I could've had a clamshell. There was guy or a very small company based out of Hong Kong that was putting Macbook Air parts into modified clamshells. They were expensive but looked very cool.
It was not a great device to be honest, I wish I would have waited a year for the dual USB version. I know that you can get iPad cases made from the old clamshell case but they are super expensive.

• Wow
Reactions: mansplains

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have been quietly boycotting Best Buy since they stopped selling Blu-rays.

These "deals" are not enough to come back. Seems like they are priced similar as an Apple Refurbished price, all while needing to pay for a Best Buy membership to get the deals.

artifex

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003
I'm just not a fan of paying for the privilege of buying a product on sale. I hope this offer helps someone though.
Agreed, though I think those come with free AppleCare or equivalent, which could be a net win. On the other hand, with all the reports of Geek Squad layoffs, I have to wonder who’s going to be there a year from now.

Speaking of Apple deals more generally, I see Amazon is out of gen3 Apple TVs. I wonder if there’s something going on or if they’re just holding stock, planning for a Prime Day blowout?

asdfjkl;

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015

I used to sell Macs back in the late ‘90s. A mid-tier machine back then was easily $3000, which adjusted for inflation is $5800 Today. Computers are much cheaper today than they used to be.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
I used to sell Macs back in the late ‘90s. A mid-tier machine back then was easily $3000, which adjusted for inflation is $5800 Today. Computers are much cheaper today than they used to be.

It's also worth noting that software for computers in the 1990s could be significantly more expensive (adjusting for inflation) than software today. For example, MS Office was around $500 retail which is around $1,000 or more in today's dollars. MS Office today can be had for just $150.

Shelaba

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2023
Agreed, though I think those come with free AppleCare or equivalent, which could be a net win. On the other hand, with all the reports of Geek Squad layoffs, I have to wonder who’s going to be there a year from now.

Speaking of Apple deals more generally, I see Amazon is out of gen3 Apple TVs. I wonder if there’s something going on or if they’re just holding stock, planning for a Prime Day blowout?
I get people not liking the sales being locked behind the membership, but as you note the sale prices aren't the point of the membership. They're just a value-add. That said, usually paid warranty plans aren't worth it on their own.

Reactions: artifex

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ

I paid $4000 in 1995 for a Power Mac 8500 with 16MB of RAM and a 500MB hard drive. We are indeed very spoiled these days.

Reactions: Fuzzball84

Nekronos

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2024
I'm just not a fan of paying for the privilege of buying a product on sale. I hope this offer helps someone though.
The concept isn't much different than sam's club or Costco - these types of memberships are generally worth it if you shop at the retailer as little as a few times a year. In the case of some of the cheapest MacBooks, the membership is basically "free" with the bonus discount and for some devices the membership is less than the bonus discount.

in any case, the best buy sale prices are typically competitive to other retailers even without membership.

Reactions: MiG007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.