Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Hello everyone,

today I've opened my MBP to clean it up from the dust and I noticed that most of the battery packs are bloated. The computer was in use before that so I wonder if it has anything to do with it.

I'm attaching coconut battery stats + pics of how it looks inside.

As the product is out of warranty (2017MBP) I wonder - can I keep using it like this or is it dangerous and I need to replace it? I almost never use the product on battery as its always plugged in (as you can see from the low count).

What do you think, pls? Anyone knows more pls?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 18.19.31.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 18.19.31.png
    385.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 18.11.26.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 18.11.26.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 68

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Yes, those are dangerous. Look up Youtube videos on how to replace them.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Concur with @LinMac. The swelling is pressurized oxygen and carbon dioxide, freed from the electrolytic process, little by little for years. I had several MacBooks with batteries so swollen, that their cases warped. They continued to work, but they were basically little incendiaries bombs waiting to pop... Tick, tick, tick...

You might find it won't go back together quite right, as the swelling might prevent parts from mating back up. Apple's tolerances are tight. I found out the hard way.

If you like the laptop enough to keep it going, don't cut corners with batteries. Get Apple to do it, or buy real Apple parts, and pay whatever they want. Personally, I wouldn't repair a 2017 model unless it were super-clean and working perfectly in every other respect. It's already cut off from Mac OS version updates; its on palliative care with only security patches.

You're obviously handy enough with the tools, so, if you want to DIY, here are a couple precautionary notes, in case you don't hear it anywhere else:
  • Run the batteries down in the laptop, remove them and finish discharging by soaking in a bucket of salt-water (don't simply short them with wire - the cells might still have enough power to get hot and ignite). When they're good and dead, recycle them.
  • Be very judicious buying replacement batteries. The replacement battery supply chain is a hive of scum and villainy. Basically, assume every battery vendor on the internet is a dirtbag who will try to sell you used, or even damaged cells in new wrappers and counterfeit labels.
  • Check out iFixit, Hugh Jefferies and Louis Rossmann videos on the topic.
Good Luck!

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Thank you guys, I've booked an appointment for next friday and will have the battery replaced.

Personally, I'm waiting for M4 Studio but this laptop will still be used by my partner as her needs are not crazy high. The laptop is working amazing so at the moment it makes no sense to get rid off it although it is a consideration. Maybe I'll sell it and with the money I'll buy M3 Air for my partner or something like that. Will see in fall what Apple does.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Ok, so Apple replaced my battery (they actually replaced the top case) but when I got home and checked 'Coconutbattery' I've noticed that the manufacture date of the battery is 2013. Is that normal?

Concur with @LinMac. The swelling is pressurized oxygen and carbon dioxide, freed from the electrolytic process, little by little for years. I had several MacBooks with batteries so swollen, that their cases warped. They continued to work, but they were basically little incendiaries bombs waiting to pop... Tick, tick, tick...

You might find it won't go back together quite right, as the swelling might prevent parts from mating back up. Apple's tolerances are tight. I found out the hard way.

If you like the laptop enough to keep it going, don't cut corners with batteries. Get Apple to do it, or buy real Apple parts, and pay whatever they want. Personally, I wouldn't repair a 2017 model unless it were super-clean and working perfectly in every other respect. It's already cut off from Mac OS version updates; its on palliative care with only security patches.

You're obviously handy enough with the tools, so, if you want to DIY, here are a couple precautionary notes, in case you don't hear it anywhere else:
  • Run the batteries down in the laptop, remove them and finish discharging by soaking in a bucket of salt-water (don't simply short them with wire - the cells might still have enough power to get hot and ignite). When they're good and dead, recycle them.
  • Be very judicious buying replacement batteries. The replacement battery supply chain is a hive of scum and villainy. Basically, assume every battery vendor on the internet is a dirtbag who will try to sell you used, or even damaged cells in new wrappers and counterfeit labels.
  • Check out iFixit, Hugh Jefferies and Louis Rossmann videos on the topic.
Good Luck!

BigTimEnergy

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2024
UK
After years working as an authorised service technician, I’ve saw hundreds of swollen batteries and not one of them ever vented or leaked even when the whole case and trackpad were blown open.

Potentially hazardous or dangerous? Yeah probably. Realistically, it’s just gonna keep getting slightly worse until it only works on charger power.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Thank you, and what do you think about the battery replacement being made in 2013? Is that normal?

After years working as an authorised service technician, I’ve saw hundreds of swollen batteries and not one of them ever vented or leaked even when the whole case and trackpad were blown open.

Potentially hazardous or dangerous? Yeah probably. Realistically, it’s just gonna keep getting slightly worse until it only works on charger power.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Ok, so Apple replaced my battery (they actually replaced the top case) but when I got home and checked 'Coconutbattery' I've noticed that the manufacture date of the battery is 2013. Is that normal?
What’s the battery health and the cycle count?
My guess is that the reported date is incorrect

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
What’s the battery health and the cycle count?
My guess is that the reported date is incorrect
Health is 100% and cycle count is 2

Is there another app that can check the manufacture date? I'm using coconutbattery

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 14.15.40.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 14.15.40.png
    125 KB · Views: 17

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Health is 100% and cycle count is 2

Is there another app that can check the manufacture date? I'm using coconutbattery
I use istatmenu, but, go to system information, hardware, power and see if it's there.
with a cycle count of 2 and 100% health - this is not a 10+ year old battery

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
I use istatmenu, but, go to system information, hardware, power and see if it's there.
with a cycle count of 2 and 100% health - this is not a 10+ year old battery
I think I've found that it may be normal.

"as someone else said, they are buying up exhausted real apple batteries, replacing cells and then selling as new"

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Don't worry about the battery's "dates".
If it seems to be working well... just USE IT.

There's no point in worrying over insignificant things you can't fix or control.

Reactions: Gloor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.