Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
You want security? Use Yubikey even as a 2FA generator. Separated physical device which had to be plug in/ NFC scanned just like old scratch code card - nothing can beat that.

However for many sites 2FA is implemented the way I want to kick someone ass - in case user don’t have code (why?!) they can sent it via SMS… and this workaround can’t be disabled.
Examples: PayPal, Allegro…

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
I've been moving to iCloud Passwords with Verification Codes. Works great, and automatically available on all devices once added to one. Slowly replacing Google Authenticator with this.

It can be a couple of extra steps to setup or get a code for some sites, but not a show-stopper, and better than grabbing the phone constantly. I'm much preferring iCloud Passwords due to the cross-device convenience.
The new OS does make this easier.

theStruggle

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2019
Few months ago I started migrating to the Proton eco system from Authy and Google as well as utilizing my own private & "public" domains as well as disposable aliases for all accounts. I don't have a single account using my base proton e-mail. Invited my family to start doing the same and we're going for the Family plan. We saved over half of what a single one year subscription would cost. Only thing I'll use my yubikey for is authenticating my login to Proton. That's it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.