Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rumors suggest that Apple could be working working on a redesigned version of the larger-screened iMac that could potentially bring back the "iMac Pro" name to differentiate it from the smaller-screened 24-inch iMac.

iMac-Pro-2022-27-and-24-iMac.jpg

In March 2022, Apple discontinued the 27-inch Intel-based version of the iMac, leaving just the 24-inch iMac, but that doesn't mean a new larger-screened iMac has been scrapped. Some rumors suggest that it is still in development and could launch in 2025, but not all sources are in agreement about the future of the iMac. For now, Apple has replaced the 27-inch iMac with the Mac Studio and its matching Studio Display, and the 24-inch model is the only iMac available.

Apple has confirmed that it has no plans to release another 27-inch iMac, but that does not rule out a model with a larger display.

Design and Screen Size

A refreshed larger-screened iMac could be similar in design to the 24-inch iMac, the Pro Display XDR, and the Studio Display. It's said to feature black bezels, and if it does indeed look similar to the Pro Display XDR, bezel size could be much slimmer and it could perhaps have less of a bottom chin.

According to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the iMac will have a 32-inch display, which would put it at the size of the Pro Display XDR.

Colors

Like the 24-inch iMac, a future iMac Pro could be available in multiple color options. A 2021 report from DigiTimes suggested that Apple plans to sell the new iMac in various colors, though there are no specific details on which colors Apple will use and the rumor is now outdated.

Display

Like the 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pro models, the next-generation iMac is expected to adopt a mini-LED display for brighter colors, deeper blacks, and improved HDR, and it will feature ProMotion display technology, allowing for up to a 120Hz refresh rate.

2020-iMac-Mockup-Feature-27-inch-text.jpg

A refresh rate at 120Hz will allow for smoother gameplay and scrolling through various apps like Safari, plus it will improve general animations throughout macOS. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said that Apple is working on a mini-LED iMac that's 32 inches in size, while Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has said that the iMac Pro will have a display that's over 30 inches.

Apple has apparently tested Face ID for the iMac Pro, but it is not a confirmed feature and it's not clear whether Face ID will make it into the release version of the machine.

Ports

The iMac is expected to offer a similar port configuration to the MacBook Pro, with Apple including USB-C/Thunderbolt ports, an SD card slot, and an HDMI port. Apple could also include an Ethernet port built into the power adapter as it has for the 24-inch iMac.

M3 Pro/Max Chips

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman believes a larger, more powerful iMac could feature M3 Pro and M3 Max chips, which debuted in the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro in late 2023, though rumors suggest a larger-screen iMac won't be coming until 2025 so it could adopt M4 Pro and M4 Max chips if those are ready in time.

Naming

Apple is reportedly calling the iMac the "iMac Pro" internally, and that could turn out to be its launch name as well, which would be in line with the MacBook Pro and iPad Pro.

An "iMac Pro" name differentiates the larger iMac from the 24-inch model, and makes it clear that it uses the same "Pro" chips as the MacBook Pro, but it is not clear if an "iMac Pro" fits into the Mac lineup alongside the more powerful Mac Studio.

Release Date

Rumors suggest that a larger-screened iMac that could be positioned as an iMac Pro will launch in 2025. In June 2023, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said that the iMac was a year or two away from launching as work on the device was still in the early stages.

M3 24-inch iMac
An M3 24-inch iMac was announced at Apple's "Scary Fast" event on October 30, 2023, but other than the new chip there were few changes compared to the M1 model from 2021 and Apple gave no indication about the potential for a larger model.

Article Link: Apple's Next iMac Pro: Everything We Know

Last edited:

TrapDoorSpider

Suspended
Aug 25, 2021
Do you think the former iMac Pro was discontinued super early because of how bad the M1 kicked the pants off the Xeon? 24" Intel iMacs continue to be sold. In good conscience, they must not have been able to justify the price, and I'm sure it'd make previous purchasers supremely upset—even more so than discontinuing it—to have done a fire sale on it.

Reactions: mudflap

rs-mac

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2021
I do hope they continue the iMac Pro line. I'm on my second one now and will be due for another in 2023. I don't need all the expansion of the Mac Pro and want to keep costs down as well.

If there won't be an Apple Silicon iMac Pro, then Apple really needs to have a pro desktop Mac priced lower than the current Mac Pro. I'm not really talking base price, but the average cost of a mid-range Mac Pro would need to be far less.

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
Can't see them adding HDMI to the iMac. But the rest of the mentioned ports, yes.

Also is it necessary to have the dynamic VRR ProMotion system on a plugged in desktop system? Or would ProMotion just mean high refresh rate?

Reactions: umbe42

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
What we really need to know for both the Mac Pro and iMac Pro is if Apple is planning on separating the CPU and GPU into discrete packages, so that the Mac Pro can potentially have more than a 1:1 CPU to GPU ratio. This would also potentially impact the iMac Pro's thermal envelope if they spread the two chips further from each other for heat dissipation.

It makes a lot of sense from an engineering standpoint, but I'm not sure if Apple is invested in developing discrete GPUs and CPUs specifically for higher end machines. This has been a concern from Pros from the start when Apple Silicon was first introduced.

loteq

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
My 2014 i7 27 is still going strong except for the encroaching pink burn in around the edges of the screen. Ive been impressed it still holds up. But comparing it to the loaded m1 air i picked up last year it feels slow in a hundred ways now. I just want that big screen. super bonus points if they launch a display to match so I dont have to have a dell or lg sitting beside it.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Save your pennies folks. I'm thinking that an adequately equipped iMac Pro is going cost way more than $2K. Nowadays, 512GB storage doesn't cut it. And since it's very likely that memory is not going to be user upgradeable as it is now on the 27" iMacs, that too is going to be expensive if you want more than 16GB.

henryhbk

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
Who is the sd slot for? Not video pros (they use cf-pro) and honestly I use a usb-c card reader, because how many times a day do you put sd-cards in, (and on the back is ever so convenient /s) where the dongle is hardly a big deal. Plus the dongle moves the card slot in front of the machine. I would much rather have a usb-a to be honest over a sad-card reader as it is way more often I need a dongle to mount someone’s usb thumb drive than say so. HDMI 2.1 please.

fbr$

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2020
Wierd and confusing naming, the Mac Pro is the real Pro and is supposed to have much more powerful processor and much more RAM than the iMac Pro and MacBook Pro.

The Pro label has different meaning depending on the specific Mac.

On the PC world, the iMac Pro and the MacBook Pro would be named just iMac Gamer and MacBook Gamer. Oh wait, Macs aren't for gaming, let's call them Pro instead...

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
512GB HD? Are you smoking crack? You gonna put "pro" on a machine and put half a terabyte HD in it? COME ON

The Pro laptops start with 512GB.

This whole article is a wild guess—pretending the be “everything we know…" Some of the guesses like the HDMI port are remarkably stupid and almost certainly wrong, and others, like 512gb as a storage starting point, are smart guesses and most certainly correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.