Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has launched its annual Back to School promotion for college students in the United States. This year's promotion offers a free Apple gift card with the purchase of an eligible Mac or iPad. Apple is also offering students 20% off AppleCare+ plans.

back-to-school-2024.jpg

Apple is offering a $150 gift card with any new MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, or iMac, and a $100 gift card with the purchase of any new M4 iPad Pro, M2 iPad Air, or Mac mini. The gift card can be used towards purchases of Apple products and accessories, App Store apps, subscriptions to services like Apple Music, iCloud+ storage, and more.

The offer is available through Apple's online education store and at Apple Store locations for students attending or accepted to a higher-education institution, faculty and staff of higher-education institutions, parents purchasing on behalf of an eligible student, employees of a K-12 institution, and select others.

Here are the promotions:
  • iMac ($150 gift card)
  • MacBook Air ($150 gift card)
  • MacBook Pro ($150 gift card)
  • Mac mini ($100 gift card)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch / 13-inch, M4 chip ($100 gift card)
  • iPad Air 11-inch / 13-inch, M2 chip ($100 gift card)
The promotion runs through September 30 in the U.S., according to Apple's terms and conditions. The free gift card is in addition to Apple's standard educational discounts of around 5% to 10% off most Macs and iPads. The promotion has also gone live in Canada, India, and possibly other countries, and will likely come to Europe and other regions in the coming weeks.

Article Link: Apple's 2024 Back to School Sale Launches, Up to $150 Gift Card With Mac or iPad

Last edited:

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
You're so lucky! The iPads were released after the Back To School campaign had finished in Japan. We also don't have alternative retailers that discount Apple goods. They pretty much sell them at the same price as Apple.

The iPads are really expensive and that discount's got to help...

Enjoy it if you are eligible and able to!

dynamojoe

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Miami, FL
Kinda bummed the big iPad Pro doesn't get a bigger gift card, but I was waiting for this one and I'm pulling the trigger.

Other savings tips: If you have a stockpile of points in Chase Ultimate Rewards, Apple gift cards are 10% off this month. Also check if your area has any tax benefits. Here in Florida there's a sales tax holiday in late July: https://floridarevenue.com/backtoschool/ . Computers and tablets up to $1500 are tax-free.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Other savings tips: If you have a stockpile of points in Chase Ultimate Rewards, Apple gift cards are 10% off this month. Also check if your area has any tax benefits. Here in Florida there's a sales tax holiday in late July: https://floridarevenue.com/backtoschool/ . Computers and tablets up to $1500 are tax-free.

Ahhh yes but read that fine print in Florida (where I live too): step a dollar above $1500 (so easy to do with Apple pricing extra RAM & SSD at 3X-5X market rates) and NONE of the tax break applies at all.

• Wow
Reactions: freedomlinux

Subliminal87

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2015
Just got an m3 16/512 MBA.

would have gotten 16/256 but the stores don’t have it for in store today.

Also tried to donut with apple care yearly instead of the 3 year plan but it wouldn’t let me complete the order despite saying id just be charged separately for that.

macbookm1airlover

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2021
Looking at the length of the promo, I'm curious if this means we won't see an M4 Mac mini until after the back-to-school sale is complete (i.e, Sept 2024)

I am coming from an M1 Air and 2018 Mac mini (was planning to either sell on Swappa, or use Apple's trade in credit). Unsure if I should upgrade now to the M2, or trade devices in, keep gift card, and wait until the M4 Mac mini's come out.

dynamojoe

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Miami, FL
Well this is silly. I've been gathering Apple gift cards forever (and traded in my iPad for credit a few months ago) and I just found out that if you have a big apple account balance, you have to call to place your order. You get a nebulous "Your payment authorization failed" error through the apple store. Online chat was helpful but couldn't process the order either and told me to call 1-800-MY-APPLE. I'm not sure why they'd make it harder to use the balance.

Reactions: Jovijoker

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Looking at the length of the promo, I'm curious if this means we won't see an M4 Mac mini until after the back-to-school sale is complete (i.e, Sept 2024)

I am coming from an M1 Air and 2018 Mac mini (was planning to either sell on Swappa, or use Apple's trade in credit). Unsure if I should upgrade now to the M2, or trade devices in, keep gift card, and wait until the M4 Mac mini's come out.

I would wait if the 2018 is still doing what you need it to do. It's basically over for M2 now and M3 will likely fade fast too.

I doubt this promotion existing will delay ANY launches of other M4 Macs if Apple wants to launch them. Black Friday comes not long after traditional Fall launches and that neither seems to speed Apple launches up to have a much time ahead of it as possible, nor slow Apple launches down to get on the other side of that sale.

My opinion is to buy when you NEED a new Mac. In your case, that's when the 2018 fails or when key software on it falls behind with no remedy to keep up. I happen to be typing this message on a 2012 MBpro... without feeling meaningfully left behind in any key apps. There's always the hack to get to install new macOS versions beyond when Apple cuts Macs off.

But even without it, one can generally squeeze towards about 10 years out of a Mac before they must replace it... barring any personal use change that demands more RAM or more Storage... which, in the case of Intel Macs, can often be addressed on the fly, as needed... unlike Silicon where, if someone is buying in 2024 with 10 years in mind, they need to be buying specs they think they may need in 2034. If your 2018 is the late 2018 model, your upgrade maximums are 64GB or RAM and 2TB SSD. While you can get more internal storage at a VERY STEEP Apple premium in a Mac Mini Pro today, the MAX RAM you can buy- also at a steep premium- is 32GB, EIGHT years AFTER producing your existing Mac Mini.

Last edited:

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

Historically, Apple usually has events/launches after the BTS promo is over. Even if they do launch new Macs or other products before it’s over, the new products aren’t included in the BTS promo.

You might as well wait for the M4.

Reactions: mcru21

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Well this is silly. I've been gathering Apple gift cards forever (and traded in my iPad for credit a few months ago) and I just found out that if you have a big apple account balance, you have to call to place your order. You get a nebulous "Your payment authorization failed" error through the apple store. Online chat was helpful but couldn't process the order either and told me to call 1-800-MY-APPLE. I'm not sure why they'd make it harder to use the balance.
What does Apple consider big? I have $1800 in gift cards.

Valen1

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2018

Apple has launched its annual Back to School promotion for college students in the United States. This year's promotion offers a free Apple gift card with the purchase of an eligible Mac or iPad. Apple is also offering students 20% off AppleCare+ plans.

2022-back-to-school-apple-feature.jpg

Apple is offering a $150 gift card with any new MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, or iMac, and a $100 gift card with the purchase of any new M4 iPad Pro, M2 iPad Air, or Mac mini. The gift card can be used towards purchases of Apple products and accessories, App Store apps, subscriptions to services like Apple Music, iCloud+ storage, and more.

The offer is available through Apple's online education store and at Apple Store locations for students attending or accepted to a higher-education institution, faculty and staff of higher-education institutions, parents purchasing on behalf of an eligible student, employees of a K-12 institution, and select others.

Here are the promotions:
  • iMac ($150 gift card)
  • MacBook Air ($150 gift card)
  • MacBook Pro ($150 gift card)
  • Mac mini ($100 gift card)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch / 13-inch, M4 chip ($100 gift card)
  • iPad Air 11-inch / 13-inch, M2 chip ($100 gift card)
The promotion runs through September 30 in the U.S., according to Apple's terms and conditions. The free gift card is in addition to Apple's standard educational discounts of around 5% to 10% off most Macs and iPads. The promotion has also gone live in Canada, India, and possibly other countries, and will likely come to Europe and other regions in the coming weeks.

Article Link: Apple's 2024 Back to School Sale Launches, Up to $150 Gift Card With Mac or iPad
Most of us would prefer an additional discount of $150 than a gift card that you have to figure out how to use.

dynamojoe

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Miami, FL
What does Apple consider big? I have $1800 in gift cards.
$1916, which covers my entire purchase ($1775). I'm still on hold and waiting to talk to my third different human.

The sad part is I'm sitting on another $400 in gift cards to redeem (apple account balance can't exceed $2k, did you know?) that I'm going to use in late July and I'll have to do this hassle again when I get my kids their new laptops. Plus the $100 from this purchase.

brdwygurl

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Most of us would prefer an additional discount of $150 than a gift card that you have to figure out how to use.
This! Does anyone know if you can use the gift card for an iCloud+ subscription Or AppleCare+? I don’t need any accessories and I’m trying to figure out what I could use the gift card for.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
$1916, which covers my entire purchase ($1775). I'm still on hold and waiting to talk to my third different human.

The sad part is I'm sitting on another $400 in gift cards to redeem (apple account balance can't exceed $2k, did you know?) that I'm going to use in late July and I'll have to do this hassle again when I get my kids their new laptops. Plus the $100 from this purchase.
Thanks for the helpful reply. I was unaware of this..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.