Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has expanded AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss coverage, which includes up to two incidents of theft or loss of an iPhone, to the United Kingdom and Australia.

applecare-header.png

Offered as an additional plan to customers in the United States, Japan, Germany, and now also the United Kingdom and Australia, AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss coverage can help customers who unfortunately have had their devices stolen or lost get a replacement without having to pay the full cost of a new device. The plan requires customers to have to Find My iPhone enabled on their device when it was lost or stolen.

In the United Kingdom, AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss coverage will cost £11.99 a month or £239 per year, with an additional excess fee of £109 to replace an iPhone. In Australia, AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss costs $15.99 per month or $319 per year, with an additional $229 for specific incidents of theft or loss.

AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss is offered alongside the standard AppleCare+ package, which lacks coverage for theft and loss incidents.

Article Link: AppleCare+ With Theft and Loss Coverage Expands to the United Kingdom and Australia

Last edited:

SnowLucas

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2015
its interesting to see peoples views on these.

You’re paying £239 for the insurance and then £109 when you claim.

Maybe if you’ve a pro max with 1TB of storage that’s a good deal, but if it’s a base model pro that originally cost £949 but at the point of loss is probably worth a lot less I’m not convinced.

Also seems expensive. You can get a Nationwide Flex Plus account with similar terms but covering multiple phones and all kinds of other thing like car breakdown and travel insurance for £13 a month.

Other banks do similar things. I realise not everyone can get that account but the value proposition of this seems poor.

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Is it possible for someone with a current AppleCare+ plan to move to a plan with Theft and Loss prevention? Can’t find any way to swap plan.

Reactions: curtis242

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

Maybe if you’ve a pro max with 1TB of storage that’s a good deal, but if it’s a base model pro that originally cost £949 but at the point of loss is probably worth a lot less I’m not convinced.
If you can afford to replace your phone yourself, you shouldn't be outsourcing 'peace of mind' especially not to a company with margins like Apple. Just keep the premiums and run your own mini insurance company for yourself. You'll come out on top in the end.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
Some credit cards offer insurance (in my case, Amex Guard) it will cover everything you have with you (tablet, phone, etc.), if you go out regularly or you travel abroad (it’s a worldwide coverage) it might be a better deal, ymmv.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010

I’m inferring that some people are either very forgetful or particularly prone to having their iPhone stolen.
If covering a single incident per year costs just under £350; that’s half the total cost of a ’base’ new release iPhone (or 1/3rd the cost of the mid-range models).

I can’t think of a single person in terms of family, where I live, or where I work who has had anything actually stolen for years, so I’m pretty sure the likelihood of needing this before accumulating enough for a replacement (new and updated model) is very low.
And as for the ‘lost’ coverage; it’s a similar story: if FindMy is active; I'm sure it’ll help you remember (and just go back to the associated establishment or location), while a family member had a lost wallet returned after being handed in to police. How often would an item so frequently checked on be irretrievably lost?

MacknTosh

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2015
Chances are that loss and theft would be covered by home insurance policy (and possibly even accidental damage).

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Chances are that loss and theft would be covered by home insurance policy (and possibly even accidental damage).

Chances are that Apple's insurance will provide you with a hassle-free way of ensuring you stolen device is replaced. Your insurance company will probably put you through hell trying to make a claim.

Reactions: Jaedre

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
This is terrible value for money.

It's an insurance policy at the end of the day, and a very expensive one at that. I get phone insurance, travel insurance and vehicle assistance/recovery insurance with my bank account for less than this.

Reactions: jimthing and Xtir

Xtir

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2021
This is terrible value for money.

It's an insurance policy at the end of the day, and a very expensive one at that. I get phone insurance, travel insurance and vehicle assistance/recovery insurance with my bank account for less than this.
very true, just save your apple-care money, will be cheaper on the long run, unless you're living where @Kylo83 lives.. but I doubt he/she knows.

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX

In my case, I always get applecare just because repairs are expensive. Upgrading to the lost stolen thing was a last second decision. I am a highschool teacher and have a bad habit of leaving my phone on my desk. I dont think they would take it but now I'm a lot less worried about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.