Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleCare+ is now available as an annually renewable plan for all Mac models, the Studio Display, and the Pro Display XDR in Canada, Australia, and Japan, allowing customers in these countries to pay for coverage on an annual basis from day one.

applecare-apple-care-banner.jpg

For example, customers in Canada now have the option to purchase an AppleCare+ plan for the MacBook Air with the M2 chip for $99.99 per year alongside the existing option of paying $269 for three years of coverage upfront. Full pricing information is available on the AppleCare+ for Mac page in Canada and Japan, but is not shown in Australia.

It was already possible to renew AppleCare+ coverage on an annual basis after the initial three-year period elapsed in Canada, Australia, and Japan, but now customers have the option of paying for AppleCare+ for Mac on an annual basis from the very beginning, which is something that has been possible in the United States since last year.

AppleCare+ for Mac provides up to two incidents of accidental damage protection every 12 months, each subject to a service fee that varies based on the type of damage. AppleCare+ also provides customers with 24/7 priority access to Apple's technical support representatives by online chat or phone while coverage is active.

Article Link: AppleCare+ for Mac Now Available as Annual Renewable Plan From Day One in Three Additional Countries

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
so if my AppleCare expires after 3 years then this does nothing except gives me coverage for accidental damage + fees? So what would be the point for example for an iMac that sits on your desk and doesn't get accidental damage?

You have to get it within 60 days of your initial purchase of the Mac. The point is to be covered for accidental damages

Reactions: Alfredo_Delgado

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
so if my AppleCare expires after 3 years then this does nothing except gives me coverage for accidental damage + fees? So what would be the point for example for an iMac that sits on your desk and doesn't get accidental damage?
You can pay yearly. That is what I set up with my M2. I will pay $80 a year for as long as I want to have AC+ on my Mac.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Ok, so it seems that is is indeed the extension of the classic AppleCare and the accidental dmg is just extra that I didn't know it was in. So technically, I can do it for 6 years and have coverage for 6 years if I pay $99/year, right? So if my Mac has hardware failure then Apple will fix it free of charge, correct? (unless its accidental damage of course)

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
Might not be a point? But FWIW, I had an iMac Pro that I had to have the screen replaced on because something fell from a shelf above it and hit the front corner just right to cause a diagonal crack in the glass.

Then, when they replaced it under my AppleCare warranty, I took it home to find the new glass was shattered because I hit a bump in the road that managed to jar it as it sat, face down, in the hatch in back! (They replaced it for me the second time for I think a $99 fee.) I learned to save the original boxes for iMacs after that, to transport them!

• Wow
Reactions: 5105973

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Ok, so it seems that is is indeed the extension of the classic AppleCare and the accidental dmg is just extra that I didn't know it was in. So technically, I can do it for 6 years and have coverage for 6 years if I pay $99/year, right? So if my Mac has hardware failure then Apple will fix it free of charge, correct? (unless its accidental damage of course)

Not for free. You have to pay a service fee of 99 (in Euro) for accidental display damages and 259 for other damages. So after a few years AppleCare+ plus the fee to get something fixed may actually be higher than what you paid for the Mac. Something to keep in mind

Reactions: lyesbkz

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I have to pay for hardware failure? If that is the case than why would I ever do that? Its better to have 1 year warranty and extend it with Apple Care to 3 years and then just risk it, no? Because those 3 years any failure is free repair/replace.

I'm totally confused as on the Apple website it puts the yearly and the 3 years into same category so it kinda implies that you are getting warranty for that $99 so any failure is covered for free and the only charges are when you damage it by accident.

Not very clear :(

Not for free. You have to pay a service fee of 99 (in Euro) for accidental display damages and 259 for other damages. So after a few years AppleCare+ plus the fee to get something fixed may actually be higher than what you paid for the Mac. Something to keep in mind

Reactions: Alfredo_Delgado

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Just reread the apple website and I think i was right. Any failure is free of charge as long as you pay $99 a year.

(that doesn't include accidental or intentional damage)

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Just reread the apple website and I think i was right. Any failure is free of charge as long as you pay $99 a year.

Thats correct, you only pay a service fee for physical damage, but everything else is covered under the yearly fee. We have this on my kids iPad Air 3's. $3.99 a month coverage until apple considered them vintage. Worth the money

Reactions: Freida

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin

Yes I was referring to accidental damages as everything else is covered under normal warranty here in the EU for 24 months anyway. The only reason for me to get AppleCafe+ would be to covered for accidental damages

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, I don't care about accidental damages as I baby my products. For me the important factor is the warranty as I'm always nervous when my computer passes 3 year mark and I get into the paid territory. I currently have 15" MBP 2017 and I know that logic board would cost me about $500-$600 if that failed so better to pay passed that 3 year mark.
Good to know that we now have the option to go past the 3 years. Will probably do it on my next purchase this fall/next spring :)

Yes I was referring to accidental damages as everything else is covered under normal warranty here in the EU for 24 months anyway. The only reason for me to get AppleCafe+ would be to covered for accidental damages

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I’ve done this for my 16” MBP.
Love to see it in the subscriptions screen like it’s any other subscription.
The definition of peace of mind.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
i was surprised they still insist you buy within a short window. normally i don't bother. i've mostly lost a lot of cash buying apple care.

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
You have to get it within 60 days of your initial purchase of the Mac. The point is to be covered for accidental damages
That is not a wholistic description. AppleCare+ does provide you with accidental damage coverage, but beyond the first year the additional limited warranty coverage is just as valuable. Apple products come with a 1 year limited warranty which protects against manufacturing defects and other malfunctions/wear. Every year beyond that, AppleCare+ provides limited warranty type protection along with the accidental. For a Mac in particular, this is a great thing to have.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

Apple provides 12 months warranty plus European consumer law can potentially cover you against the seller for the second year. Since seller and manufacturers aren’t always the same it’s not necessarily correct to refer to two years warranty as it depends. I’ve seen plenty of cases where Apple is very easy with regards to consumer law of course.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Wait Canada is getting something … has Tim had a change of heart?

Will the Apple TV finally get a discount on Amazon.ca!!

Hey Tim can we apply it retroactively - I’ve got an IMac 2011 that missed the graphic card swap - sitting in my basement gathering dust because I can’t understand the 5000 page thread on here on how people fix/replace it!

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
It's a choice you have to make. I had it on my iMac but if someone asked me I would probably say not needed unless they have kids. I was just being extra careful. It also covers hardware failure after the warranty expires. In the USA I believe that's one year so it would give you two extra years. I think on a portable device like a MacBook it's a great idea to get it.

Reactions: jaybar

Sydnxt

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2021
Australian here: It’s not shown in Australia because they require you to use the device for 7 days before making a decision on AppleCare, it’s to prevent upselling. After 7 days elapse you get an email saying you can purchase it for the next 53 days.

Last edited:

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
So for people on the subscription plans, when the device becomes vintage and Apple no longer supports it does Apple automatically stop charging you the subscription or do you have to make sure you cancel it yourself?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.