Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Faize

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
I purchased Airpods on May 14, and after much sitting on the fence finally purchased AppleCare+ for them today. To my surprise, AppleCare+ will last until July 1, 2026, not May 14, 2026.

Normally I get AppleCare+ when I purchase the device, but is it better to always get it on the 59th day after device purchase to get the longest coverage?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I pay AppleCare+ on my phone monthly and I haven't heard for Apple that they're not going to cover the phone any longer, since it's two years old. By the time I submit this post, I'll have an e-mail, won't I?

• Haha
Reactions: hovscorpion12

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I purchased Airpods on May 14, and after much sitting on the fence finally purchased AppleCare+ for them today. To my surprise, AppleCare+ will last until July 1, 2026, not May 14, 2026.

Normally I get AppleCare+ when I purchase the device, but is it better to always get it on the 59th day after device purchase to get the longest coverage?
It might be a glitch in their system. I've purchased AppleCare+ a few times within the 60 day window and its always been effective as of the purchase date of the product, not the purchase date of AppleCare+.

Edit: Apparently this is no longer the case. See responses below.

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
is it better to always get it on the 59th day after device purchase to get the longest coverage?

You’re not getting longer coverage. It’s just starting later so ends later but you're taking a risk IMO. It’s like waiting two months after buying a new car so the policy renews two months later.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
is it better to always get it on the 59th day after device purchase to get the longest coverage?
Sure… as long as you don’t damage it within that 59 days.

I buy my coverage at the same time I buy the device. I’d feel like an absolute idiot if I managed to break a phone while “waiting” to start the coverage.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I bought my AppleCare in January for the 15 Pro Max that I bought in November. I have coverage until January 2026.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Yes. You will get 59 additional days of total coverage. It hasn't always been this way but it was changed a few years ago and applies to any and all Apple products now where you can buy AC+. I always buy on the 56th day or so - leaving a buffer in case there is a declined transaction or something or I forget to do it that day.

But if you use the back to school promotion where AC+ is cheaper sometimes then it's better to get AC+ immediately. Because overall the savings make up for losing out on 2 extra months.

After AC+ expires you can extend it on a monthly/yearly basis (depending on the device). I always extend for an extra year if I see the battery is close to dying. Then I can get a free battery replacement which makes up for most of the AC+ cost.

The battery thing only works for Macs and iPhones and more often for Macs as the default AC+ time is 3 years and then with an additional year it's 4. iPhones with 2 years plus an additional year rarely have a battery so bad it qualifies for a free AC+ replacement. And iPads never ever qualify so I don't bother with AC+ there.

Reactions: danb1979 and Faize

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Macs, Displays, iPhones, and iPads can have AppleCare indefinitely. If you buy the two-year plan, you will be given the option to renew it. The monthly plan will continue for as long as you like. Airpods plans only last two years with no option of renewal which really makes me angry since I had to get a replacement set of Airpods Max before my plan expired due to a stretched-out headband which will eventually happen again.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Yes. You will get 59 additional days of total coverage. It hasn't always been this way but it was changed a few years ago and applies to any and all Apple products now where you can buy AC+. I always buy on the 56th day or so - leaving a buffer in case there is a declined transaction or something or I forget to do it that day.

But if you use the back to school promotion where AC+ is cheaper sometimes then it's better to get AC+ immediately. Because overall the savings make up for losing out on 2 extra months.

After AC+ expires you can extend it on a monthly/yearly basis (depending on the device). I always extend for an extra year if I see the battery is close to dying. Then I can get a free battery replacement which makes up for most of the AC+ cost.

The battery thing only works for Macs and iPhones and more often for Macs as the default AC+ time is 3 years and then with an additional year it's 4. iPhones with 2 years plus an additional year rarely have a battery so bad it qualifies for a free AC+ replacement. And iPads never ever qualify so I don't bother with AC+ there.
You can also add within the 1st year but have to go to the Apple Store for an inspection if it’s after the online 60 day limit.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I picked the newer subscription model of AC+ to my MBA 2024.
See if I regret it or if I want to have AC+ a 4th & 5th year. I cancel when I want.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
You can also add within the 1st year but have to go to the Apple Store for an inspection if it’s after the online 60 day limit.
That's not guaranteed. You can ask for it, and Apple will open a case, obviously I don't know how Apple makes these decisions, but if you specifically forgo adding it within 60 days to wait until the last week of warranty coverage you might be in for a disappointment. I am quite sure Apple knows exactly why people want to do that and might flag such requests. And there are reports of people asking to add it barely missing the 60 day deadline and being denied.

There is no official written info found on Apple's website that says you can add AC+ after the 60 days are up.

See if I regret it or if I want to have AC+ a 4th & 5th year. I cancel when I want.
You do not need the subscription in order to extend for a 4th and 5th year. After the regular 3 years are up you can still add the yearly subscription.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
That's not guaranteed. You can ask for it, and Apple will open a case, obviously I don't know how Apple makes these decisions, but if you specifically forgo adding it within 60 days to wait until the last week of warranty coverage you might be in for a disappointment. I am quite sure Apple knows exactly why people want to do that and might flag such requests. And there are reports of people asking to add it barely missing the 60 day deadline and being denied.

There is no official written info found on Apple's website that says you can add AC+ after the 60 days are up.

You do not need the subscription in order to extend for a 4th and 5th year. After the regular 3 years are up you can still add the yearly subscription.
I have done this with my mom’s iPhone 15. She added her warranty after 70 days and they just inspected the phone at the store. They said it’s just a diagnostics test and a physical inspection.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Are we saying you get 60 days worth of free AC+ when purchasing, or that you can add it anytime within the first 60 days without having to take it to an Apple Store for inspection?

I’m thinking of getting AC+ when I buy the iPhone 16 later this year. Never had it before.

I normally use a wallet case, the type that folds over and protects the screen when closed, but this adds bulk. Maybe having AC+ will mean I don’t have to worry too much about having a case? Can you claim for any accidental damage that occurs from dropping it etc?

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Are we saying you get 60 days worth of free AC+ when purchasing, or that you can add it anytime within the first 60 days without having to take it to an Apple Store for inspection?

I’m thinking of getting AC+ when I buy the iPhone 16 later this year. Never had it before.

I normally use a wallet case, the type that folds over and protects the screen when closed, but this adds bulk. Maybe having AC+ will mean I don’t have to worry too much about having a case? Can you claim for any accidental damage that occurs from dropping it etc?
You do not get accidental damage protection prior to purchasing AppleCare+. You can add AC+ without “inspection” but the phone must pass a remote diagnostic, which certain damages would prevent passing.

So on the plus side, your AC+ lasts (close to) 60 days longer.
The minus side, you don’t get full protection until AC+ is added; you’re at risk during that time.

I convert my AC+ to Monthly at the end of the 2-year period anyway, so buying AC+ at the time I buy my phone means I am fully covered from day one. The way I look at it - I’m insuring myself. You can insure, or not insure - there are valid arguments both ways. But deciding to pay for insurance, and specifically choosing NOT to insure the first 60 days seems penny-wise and pound-foolish to me.

Reactions: Big Stevie

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
But deciding to pay for insurance, and specifically choosing NOT to insure the first 60 days seems penny-wise and pound-foolish to me.
I mainly buy AC+ for the longer warranty coverage. Whether there is insurance for those 60 days is of no concern for me. Apple forces to pay for insurance even if you just want a couple years of warranty. On an iPhone I really don't mind the extra insurance, it might come in handy, but I rather have 2 extra months for free. I take good care of brand new devices anyways, usually I start being a bit more careless after a few months, and maybe a couple years in something breaks. But the first 60 days are irrelevant to me.

Of course if you are buying a brand new expensive 15 Pro and you go on a weeks long vacation right afterwards where there is a much higher risk of trouble then it makes more sense to buy the insurance immediately.

Can you claim for any accidental damage that occurs from dropping it etc?
Yes but it needs to impair functionality. Scratches don't impair functionality but if your display no longer works or front or back glass is cracked, or obviously if the entire iPhone is dead, then it counts.

For my iPhones what usually happens is that I take extra good care of it when it's new, in the first year, and then later I start being a bit more careless and eventually something breaks and I just request a new refurbished iPhone through the express replacement option. That takes care of all the scratches as well as you get sent a new iPhone that is basically like brand new. Costs at most 100 bucks, depending on the damage it can be as cheap as 30 bucks. The funny thing is not once have I used the express replacement because of dropping my iPhone, it just started malfunctioning a couple years down the road on its own. Hence the express replacement was free for me.

Reactions: Big Stevie

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Sure… as long as you don’t damage it within that 59 days.

I buy my coverage at the same time I buy the device. I’d feel like an absolute idiot if I managed to break a phone while “waiting” to start the coverage.
I’m sure many would sign up to apple care and wait a few weeks until making a claim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.