Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to making AppleCare+ available for the Apple TV for the first time, Apple is now allowing AppleCare+ coverage for Macs to be extended indefinitely in the United States, according to an updated support document.

applecare-plus-for-mac-2021.jpg

After paying upfront for an AppleCare+ plan for a Mac, the initial coverage period remains three years, but customers now have the option to purchase additional coverage that automatically renews annually until canceled. The new coverage must be purchased within 30 days of the end date of the original coverage, according to Apple.

Previously, there was no way to extend AppleCare+ coverage for a Mac once the initial three-year coverage window elapsed.

AppleCare+ for Mac provides up to two incidents of accidental damage protection every 12 months, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage. Customers with an active AppleCare+ plan also have 24/7 priority access to Apple's technical support representatives by online chat or phone.

AppleCare+ coverage for Mac remains capped at three years outside of the United States.

(Thanks, Elijah!)

Article Link: AppleCare+ Coverage for Mac Can Now Be Extended Beyond Three Years

macsimcon

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Historically, Apple has only made repair parts available for Macs seven years old or less. How will this work if someone keeps paying for AppleCare+ annually or monthly beyond seven years? Will Apple offer repair parts for these older Mac indefinitely?

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
This is really nice to see.

Historically, Apple has only made repair parts available for Macs seven years old or less. How will this work if someone keeps paying for AppleCare+ annually or monthly beyond seven years? Will Apple offer repair parts for these older Mac indefinitely?

Sounds like one of those details where it'll stop at the end of support. Have always thought Apple should take support to 10 years on Mac's (the tech just isn't advancing like it was decades ago), would love to see them boost it.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Went to my devices page, no option to extend anything but if I"m reading the Kbase document correctly, it has to be within 30 days of expiration so my iPhone 11 Pro has until 9/19/2019 so on 8/19, I can login and 'extend' I pre-pay for all AppleCare coverage and would love to extend my iMac (expires March 2022) and iPhone for an extra year.

Purchase the new coverage within 30 days of the end date of your original coverage. To purchase the new coverage, go to mysupport.apple.com and follow the on-screen instructions. The new coverage automatically renews until canceled.

Reactions: centauratlas

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
Applecare+ is a must for the new systems, I got it for my 2019 Macbook pro 16. It is worth every penny. I look at it this way. If a system costs $1600 and AppleCare is $160 for three years to protect your investment along with three years of phone support it is a great deal. My MacBook Pro was $3500 dollars so $350, worth it!

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
It appears it will apply to existing Applecare on Macs, so I plan to extend mine year to year. For me and others who use their mac in their business it's a business expense and essentially insurance against an unexpected expense. Considering my mac's battery only lasted less than 3 years before replacement and I plan to keep my Mac another 3 years it makes sense.

Reactions: SFjohn

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
Come on, extend to UK. Wanting to buy the 2021 16 inch MacBook Pro.

Edit - We can do it for the iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch, so I’m expecting it on Mac too.

Reactions: rdav and Djh4601

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
I like how they are now extending it, what if I want to keep it for another year and want tech support? I can still drop it after the third year and the machine still has value or when I go to sell it to another person the AppleCare + follows the machine making it a better value for the next person and I can sell it for more cheddar.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
They'll give you 60 days notice and then cancel the plan when parts become unavailable, according to Terms & Conditions:

For Annual Plans, your Plan Term is one year. Annual Plans will automatically renew each year unless cancelled as set forth in the “Cancellation” Section 9 below, including in the event that Apple is no longer able to service your Covered Equipment due to the unavailability of service parts, in which case Apple will provide you with sixty (60) days’ prior written notice of cancellation, or as otherwise required by law. Annual Plans may not be available for all Covered Devices.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Sounds really great! Any word on the annual pricing for this service?

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Usually lifetime warranties refer to the lifetime of the product, not the lifetime of the person that owns it. So basically manufacturer declares the usable lifetime of a product to be X years. So really it is an X year warranty. I would expect that is how this works and it is not truly 'indefinite'.

Reactions: Captain Trips

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
The document about it, says AppleCare+ for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch can also be extended - but it applies in more countries: Australia, Canada, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Is that a new thing too?

Reactions: BKDad

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
They'll give you 60 days notice and then cancel the plan when parts become unavailable, according to Terms & Conditions:
My guess would be Apple would determine the current value of that machine and give you credit to a new machine most likely by then them machine would have little value, but something is better than nothing, that is what I would do if I was Apple.

jamieinoc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2020
Went to my devices page, no option to extend anything but if I"m reading the Kbase document correctly, it has to be within 30 days of expiration so my iPhone 11 Pro has until 9/19/2019 so on 8/19, I can login and 'extend' I pre-pay for all AppleCare coverage and would love to extend my iMac (expires March 2022) and iPhone for an extra year.
It’s within 30 days after it expires. iPhone you can extend (but monthly) as well, same paradigm. Same with Apple Watch.

Reactions: adamjackson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.