Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on a larger iPad Air featuring a 12.9-inch display, in what would be the biggest iPad Air model to date, DigiTimes reports.

iPad-Air-12.9-Inch-Feature.jpg

Citing industry sources, DigiTimes highlighted that unlike the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, the 12.9-inch iPad Air will not feature a mini-LED display. The device will instead feature the same LCD technology used in the current, 10.9-inch iPad Air. The information was shared in DigiTimes' "Before Going to Press" section, so while information about the new device is currently limited, more will follow tomorrow.

The iPad Air has only ever been available in a single size, so presumably a 12.9-inch iPad Air would be offered in addition to a separate model with a smaller screen, just like how the iPad Pro is offered in both 11- and 12.9-inch variants. A recent rumor from 9to5Mac claimed that Apple was working on two sixth-generation iPad Air models. While the piece speculated that Apple could release a larger version of the ‌iPad Air‌ to go along with the current 10.9-inch version, DigiTimes' report is the first specific mention of a larger iPad Air variant.

Together, the rumors suggest that the 12.9-inch iPad Air could arrive sooner rather than later in the sixth incarnation of the device. The current iPad Air featuring the M1 chip launched over a year and a half ago, and a new model with the M2 chip is widely expected to launch in the coming months.

The current, 10.9-inch iPad Air is priced starting at $599, while the 11-inch iPad Pro starts at $799. A 12.9-inch iPad Air model would presumably be priced between these two products, but it is worth bearing in mind that Apple's next-generation iPad Pro models are rumored to see price hikes owing to their costly OLED display technology.

Article Link: Apple Working on Larger iPad Air With 12.9-Inch Display

Last edited:
Reactions: SFjohn

swiftapplefan

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2023
So more options to buy from? Wouldn’t it get a little confusing? It’s either they drop the base iPad and make the iPad Air standard, or viceversa. Or, even better, only Air and Pro, which come in three sizes each, and an iPad SE with the rumoured plastic…

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Apple really seems to be filling out their product lines to serve smaller markets and niches, which is of course good for us consumers who want these choices, as long as Apple can handle producing and supporting all these products.

I’d be interested in a 12.9” Air if it retains Touch ID. I’d rather get a 12.9” Pro with Touch ID but that probably won’t be possible. I’m a niche.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
This is a page from the iPhone & MacBook strategy. I like this approach. The odd man out, like the 13" MacBook Pro, is the 10th gen iPad Apple released last fall. I get why it's there (because the non-laminated display is for easier repairability in education markets).

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
This will be to catch the customers who can’t afford the OLED 12.9”.
Given how grossly over-priced the current Air is I question how many of such customers exist. Although of course if Apple were to hike the price of the Pro they could bring in the air at say £50 cheaper than the current Pro and Mac Rumors could use their usual powers of spin to proclaim how "affordable" it was...

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
Can we please just have the Air in 3 sizes and ditch the "mini"? Give us a 9 inch Air, 11 inch Air, and 13 inch Air. And then the Pros in 11 inch, 13 inch, and 15 inch. And then..... the low end one still in 11 (well, 10.9).... the lineup is.... fun.....

Throw in the 3 Apple Pencils, and the lineup is an absolute blast...

When iPad Pros and MacBooks hit M3, then drop M2 in Airs. And keep it 1 behind.

And I guess the lower end on A series.

Man, these lineups and the overlap has gotten really messy the last few years.

bunce66

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2008
Apple is clearly doing EVERYTHING to juice the iPad sales, except for making the software usable. Make the screens bigger, add a fancy processor, more storage, etc. Due to the limitations of the OS, it's still less useful than a $400 Macbook from 2018.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
The odd man out, like the 13" MacBook Pro, is the 10th gen iPad Apple released last fall
Disagree. the entry-level iPad serves a purpose and I'm betting the 9th gen iPad with the home button & lightening port gets discontinued next year. This will leave 3 lines for iPad:

Good (iPad)
Better (iPad Air)
Best (iPad Pro)

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
I would seriously consider a 12.9 inch Air. I don’t really have a need for an iPad Pro, but I wouldn’t mind a slightly larger Air. They just need to keep it at a decent price, and a less expensive keyboard would go a long way as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.