Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is developing a 20.5-inch foldable notebook that could be released as soon as 2025, according to information shared today by display analyst Ross Young.

Foldable-iPhone-2023-Feature-Yellow.jpg

Young shared the details in a tweet disputing a recent iPad rumor from Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who said that Apple was developing a foldable iPad for 2024. So far, both Young and Bloomberg's Mark Gurman have said they see no signs of a foldable tablet that's coming next year.

The rumor about an all-screen foldable MacBook is not exactly new, as Young shared similar information back in February 2022. Young at the time said that Apple was discussing foldable notebooks with displays around 20 inches in size with its suppliers.

Based on today's report, Apple is still pursuing some kind of foldable notebook product, which would feature a full-size on-screen keyboard when folded, or the option to use it with an external keyboard when unfolded. Young previously said that it would be an all-new product category for Apple.

The dual display design would differ from current Mac notebooks that are foldable, as those machines feature a single display paired with a keyboard and trackpad. It has been unclear whether the rumored 20-inch foldable would be positioned as an iPad, Mac, or something new entirely, but so far multiple sources seem to think 2024 is too early for some kind of foldable.

Article Link: Apple Working on 20.5-Inch All-Screen Foldable Notebook for 2025

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
ive heard about an all in one big foldable tablet 30" but nothing about foldable ipad for 2024 or foldable mac for 2025
Please stop...this is just attention humiliation from Ross Young already and now hes joining KUO in the club

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple is developing a 20.5-inch foldable notebook that could be released as soon as 2025, according to information shared today by display analyst Ross Young.
I will believe it when I see it. That goes for the foldable iPad rumor also.

Maybe this is just good PR for the hinge company…
Nice sense of humor from Ross Young. :D

Last edited:

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
don't really understand why ipads still dont have haptics
because it’s a lot easier to vibrate a 6.1 inch phone that can fit in your pocket than it is a massive 13 inch + super thin pad.
Also, it would be extremely loud and distracting.
Imagine getting a phone call on your iPad and it just vibrates your entire desk, it would be bizarre.
Wouldn’t even be surprised if they had to have two or four different motors to get it level throughout the entire iPad.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Never want to use a touch keyboard on a Mac. 20.5” is too big to use as an iPad. This thing will probably start at $4000 minimum, probably higher.

Seems like a niche product for people who want to carry around a near-desktop sized computer in a smaller package but it will still need an external keyboard. Seems clunky as hell.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
If it’s a iPad that would be a great product. The first time a folding screen has made sense. But I don’t think that people want this in their Mac Book Pro.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
because it’s a lot easier to vibrate a 6.1 inch phone that can fit in your pocket than it is a massive 13 inch + super thin pad.
Also, it would be extremely loud and distracting.
Imagine getting a phone call on your iPad and it just vibrates your entire desk, it would be bizarre.
Wouldn’t even be surprised if they had to have two or four different motors to get it level throughout the entire iPad.
i know that , but it didnt prevent samsung (and perhaps other oems) from implementing it in their tablets.

and having used one, i can tell you that it makes a difference and is far from bad

considering the price of ipads they could include some decent haptics. my tab s7 costs way less than my ipad

oh and no it's not incredibly loud nor distracting .

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
great for artists, designers , architects, and a bunch of other people i cant think of

and ofc, anyone who wants a big screen
:rolleyes: Those people need big screens. Not folding devices. And no, the fact that it folds does not suddenly make it more portable, and simultaneously convince these folks to spend a premium on devices this large.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.