Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's vice president of cloud engineering Michael Abbott plans to leave the company in April, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. The report notes that Abbott oversees Apple's cloud infrastructure for services like iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, and others.

iCloud-General-Feature.jpg

Abbott joined Apple in 2018 and was previously an executive at tech companies such as Twitter, Microsoft, and Palm. The report claims that his team at Apple had invested heavily in building out the company's in-house cloud infrastructure, but scaled back the efforts in favor of using servers hosted by Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud.

Apple's vice president of services Peter Stern, who oversaw iCloud as a whole, also left the company earlier this year. Stern worked at Apple for over six years and was viewed as a potential successor to Apple's longtime services chief Eddy Cue.

Update: The role will be taken over by Jeff Robbin, a longtime Apple engineering VP known as the creator of iTunes, according to Gurman.

Article Link: Apple VP Overseeing iCloud, iMessage, and FaceTime Infrastructure Leaving Role

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Relax, he's focused now - his head is no longer in the clouds.
LMAO ... nicely done.

But honestly so many people hate Eddie on these forums yet never understood the magnitude of the work he's put int and dealt with from the start. This guy leaves with just half of what Eddie Cue used to fully manage and oversea ... much of which he managed directly.

SkyRom

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2018
Thank God. Now that I think about it, each one of those services has only gotten slower, laggier, more bloated, and less secure in the last 3-5 years. Now if they can just soft-fire whoever decided to make the Ventura settings menu look like an iPhone we might be in business.

[edit] And whoever is responsible for the abominations known as Mail, Pages, and Numbers.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Thank God. Now that I think about it, each one of those services has only gotten slower, laggier, more bloated, and less secure in the last 3-5 years. Now if they can just soft-fire whoever decided to make the Ventura settings menu look like an iPhone we might be in business.

[edit] And whoever is responsible for the abominations known as Mail, Pages, and Numbers.
Apple could have so many “wins” by improving the everyday applications, but instead they make dynamic islands, MR goggles, iOSsify macOS, try to measure blood pressure (might actually be useful when using their software).

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
I was getting tired of working for Mr. Abbott /s. The hours I have spent recovering files, losing files, messed up photos, not syncing properly, required logins, contacting Apple Support, reinstalling systems and app’s. I am ready for a return to “just works”.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Now if they can just soft-fire whoever decided to make the Ventura settings menu look like an iPhone we might be in business.

I'm with you on ventura's idiotic settings menu. As fir pages and numbers... at least it's not microsoft office - just yesterday I opened Pages and noted to myself how happy I am that this isn't the bloatet UI-Clusterf*** that MS-Word is.

Sometimes it feels like these people don’t use their own services they r in charge of cuz otherwise … how do you explain all these issues

I'd bet that Tim Cook has an assistant who fixes all that crap for him. Pretty sure Cook has never to deal with stuff like Music interrupting playback for a second every other song, sharing a google calendar with others or Siri denying doing "thing A", but when you rephrase your request saying "doing thing A".

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Might actually be a good thing...

It's not like iCloud is the most stable Cloud solution ever.
I hear people losing their stuff every day in that thing, including myself.

There's a saying with technology ... the problem is often between the chair and the keyboard.

I've personally never lost anything in over 22 years with Apple's cloud services ... through .Mac to MobileMe to iCloud. All contacts, bookmarks, files, mail ... smooth transition every time.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Maybe now they'll make iCloud Drive a serious competitor to Dropbox/OneDrive

The biggest difference with iCloud vs these other services — iCloud has historically been bundled with hardware. You buy the hardware, and get these convenient services to make them "just work".

Apple has a hardware-first business model.

Dropbox and similar services are a service-first business, designed to work with an array of hardware vendors (Macs, PCs, tablets, phones).

fontman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa

Apple's vice president of cloud engineering Michael Abbott plans to leave the company in April, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. The report notes that Abbott oversees Apple's cloud infrastructure for services like iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, and others.

iCloud-General-Feature.jpg

Abbott joined Apple in 2018 and was previously an executive at tech companies such as Twitter, Microsoft, and Palm. The report claims that his team at Apple had invested heavily in building out the company's in-house cloud infrastructure, but scaled back the efforts in favor of using servers hosted by Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud.

Apple's vice president of services Peter Stern, who oversaw iCloud as a whole, also left the company earlier this year. Stern worked at Apple for over six years and was viewed as a potential successor to Apple's longtime services chief Eddy Cue.

Update: The role will be taken over by Jeff Robbin, a longtime Apple engineering VP known as the creator of iTunes, according to Gurman.

Article Link: Apple VP Overseeing iCloud, iMessage, and FaceTime Infrastructure Leaving Role
What's funny is this Jeff guy and people know that iTunes was not created by Apple it was actually an existing piece of software that was purchased and then built from that that's typically what Apple does. They find a third-party that has a good product and they figured out how they can build on top of that so I wouldn't say he created iTunes unless the name counts.

Cmukuk

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2016
Maybe they don't like the direction Apple wants to take iCloud so leave to avoid being attached to it potential destination. I'll leave it at that.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What's funny is this Jeff guy and people know that iTunes was not created by Apple it was actually an existing piece of software that was purchased and then built from that that's typically what Apple does. They find a third-party that has a good product and they figured out how they can build on top of that so I wouldn't say he created iTunes unless the name counts.

Partially true. iTunes was an exception where they bought an existing app and then created iTunes from that, but they don't do that for _most_ of their products.

Reactions: maxoakland

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
iCloud has actually been pretty reliable for me for the past few years and I have almost ~1TB of data in iCloud. Definitely a lot better than it used to be.

My guess it that this type of infrastructure/behind-the-scenes role isn't valued highly within Apple, and he can probably get much better compensation at another company whose business model relies more heavily on cloud infrastructure engineering. (Or he could probably just retire.)

Reactions: Razorpit

howywood

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2020
Syncing of what? Be specific. We're listening.

If you're referring to iCloud files with Finder integration, then I would agree with you, but everything works amazingly well. I blame macOS for those problems, not iCloud per se.

iCloud files / Finder FOR SURE ... you can rarely download the things you want - 'no internet connection message'

Long story short I spent about 16 hours with support over the phone and via chat to come to no resolution on iCloud contacts syncing and messages syncing. We found a bug related to iCloud contact sync settings while we were troubleshooting and the tier 3 engineer answer was 'maybe we'll fix it'.

I pay a lot of money for premium products. Such support, or lack there of rather, is unjust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.