Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TEG

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I have an AppleTV 4K, with the black Siri Remote. Around Christmas time, I switched from a Sony Subwoofer/Receiver to an LG Soundbar with Passthrough (for my projector). Everything worked fine for a few months, then starting around February, about every 5-7 times I power up the AppleTV, Sound Bar, and Projector, the AppleTV acts as though it was never taught how to control sound, and it will either do nothing (except blink the power light), or it will pop up a messages that "Volume Control has not been Configured", with an option to go to settings, which never works. However, as soon as I go into the remote settings, it refreshes and loads that I'm controlling my soundbar over IR. I did reset the AppleTV, and restore from my backup, and reset the remote... several times.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be going on?

TEG

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Bugs. "Just works" seems to be increasingly left behind. This particular problem is notorious and there's a few other threads about it.

Suggestion: set the AppleTV remote aside and get yourself a universal learn remote to control all. You probably won't have this problem anymore at all. I've been leaning on one from Universal Remote Control Inc for about 15+ years. AppleTV remote mostly sits there untouched- but accessible- for a rare moment when something only it can do is needed.

AppleTV (the box) can "learn" ANY remote, including the LG one you already have or your TV's remote. A free way to resolve this problem would be to perhaps use one of those remotes to be trained to control AppleTV instead of trying to get not-Apple tech to work with Siri Remote.

Else, by "reset" the remote, if you mean you rebooted it... that does seem to be a common remedy for this kind of problem. I know it may seem odd to have to reboot a remote but it's actually a thing with THIS remote. If that's NOT what you meant, try that... and be prepared to have to try it again somewhere down the road... and then again... and then again.

Now, expect several to chime in blaming the soundbar, the TV, cables, etc (everything but anything Apple)... but again if you do a search, you'll find MANY threads with AppleTV remote issues along these lines. Those posters would very likely have all kinds of different TVs, soundbars, cables, settings, etc... so it seems unlikely (though not 100% impossible) that it is something outside of the Apple Remote or AppleTV.

Last edited:

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I wish I had more input other than to say this used to happen to me all the time, and it seems to have stopped but I don't know why. Usually rebooting the ATV helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.