Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced an additional 1 billion euros investment in German engineering over the next six years as part of its Silicon Design Center expansion in central Munich.

Apple-investment-in-Munich-hero.jpg

Apple says the investment will go towards the design and construction of a "state-of-the-art research facility" at Seidlstrasse, where Apple's R&D teams can "come together in new ways, enhancing collaboration and innovation."
"Our R&D teams in Munich are critical to our efforts to develop products delivering greater performance, efficiency, and power savings," said Johny Srouji, Apple's senior vice president of Hardware Technologies. "The expansion of our European Silicon Design Center will enable an even closer collaboration between our more than 2,000 engineers in Bavaria working on breakthrough innovations, including custom silicon designs, power management chips, and future wireless technologies."
In addition to Apple's new Seidlstrasse facility, teams will occupy several additional R&D spaces at Denisstrasse and Marsstrasse as part of the Silicon Design Center expansion. The three new sites are located across the street from Apple's recently opened R&D facility at Karlstrasse. Together with engineering sites at Arnulfstrasse and Hackerbrücke, the new facilities form Apple's European Silicon Design Center, centrally located in Munich’s Maxvorstadt neighbourhood.

Apple-investment-in-Munich-Silicon-Design-Center-map-EN.jpg

The announcement builds on Apple's previous 1 billion euros investment commitment from 2021, when Apple established Munich as the headquarters of its European Silicon Design Center.

Apple says it has spent over 18 billion euros with more than 800 German companies, supporting job creation, community development, and workforce opportunities throughout the country over the past five years.

Article Link: Apple to Spend 1 Billion Euros on Munich Silicon Design Center Expansion

Last edited:

kesko

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2022
Frankfurt am Main, Deutschland
Why the focus on Germany for this r&d — does anyone know?
Because its ****ing Germany?! Where else would you put R&D in Europe if you seek high precision and quality?

Greetings from Germany - not very high tech when it comes to civil services, but very high tech when it comes to Science, Research etc. - especially Munich area

Last edited:

schneeland

macrumors regular
May 22, 2017
Darmstadt, Germany
If I remember correctly, the Apple research center in Munich is a former Siemens location. Siemens exited the market for mobile and network technology, but had built up quite some knowhow (if you read German, you can get a glimpse here: Handelsblatt). Also, generally, Munich is popular location with a larger number of IT companies in Germany, so there's a solid ecosystem there (and terrible housing prices and commuting times, so people can basically get the full Silicon Valley experience ;)).

kesko

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2022
Frankfurt am Main, Deutschland
Switzerland, of course.

Or the U.K. (arguably being more involved in semiconductor design, and the home of Arm).
Switzerland is certainly a qualified competence in this topic, however I think due to knowledge already being in Munich due to Siemens, Apple has decided to favor it over Switzerland.

UK - hah I would not trust. Very volatile, Scientist from the EU leaving, degraded economy, isolation through Brexit, many internal issues - I guess not a good place to invest a billion in a future technology, when the current time is uncertain.

Useless Touchbar

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2020
Switzerland is certainly a qualified competence in this topic, however I think due to knowledge already being in Munich due to Siemens, Apple has decided to favor it over Switzerland.

UK - hah I would not trust. Very volatile, Scientist from the EU leaving, degraded economy, isolation through Brexit, many internal issues - I guess not a good place to invest a billion in a future technology, when the current time is uncertain.
Eindhoven region could have also been great choice for semiconductor stuff

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Considering how many products Apple actually sells (and how similar they all are), it’s a little funny to hear that they are building/expanding a new ‘design centre’. Apple’s designs seem to hardly ever change.

(I know, they are referring to silicon here.)

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
“In keeping with Apple’s environmental directive (and unstable foreign dependencies), the new facility will by nominally powered by ‘wind and solar’ but also by the latest and most efficient in wood/coal burning technology.”

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Giving a European talent pool that may have reservations being so far from their loved ones another option. But most importantly is diversification. Having all the top people in one location is not a good idea for a vast number of reasons. The country the talent are originally from being the least of them.

Reactions: Kierkegaarden

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
Good one. Countless companies left the UK in the last years. It’s one of the few economies in Europe that is actually shrinking. They can’t even manage to keep their supermarket shelves full because of Brexit and the increase in admin.

A billion dollar hub requires free movement of brains. That’s no longer the case in the UK. Not to mention the lack of access to R&D funds from the EU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.