Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple remains committed to microLED, despite suggestions that its project to bring the display technology to Apple Watch Ultra has been ditched, according to reports out of Taiwan and Korea.

apple-watch-ultra-1-1.jpg

Last week, Apple supplier ams OSRAM announced that a "cornerstone project" was "unexpectedly cancelled." Counterpoint Research's Display Supply Chain Consultants informed MacRumors that this project related to the rumored Apple Watch with a microLED display.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo later weighed in on the matter, saying that Apple has canceled the project for the "foreseeable future."

Pushing back against this narrative, DigiTimes and ETNews report that Apple still has multiple internal teams dedicated to microLED projects and is actively seeking alternative suppliers. "The OSRAM LED chip may have been replaced due to a drop in performance, and Apple may have already found a replacement for Taiwan or China, which is ahead in the microLED field," said ETNews.

Taiwan's AU Optronics (AUO) and PlayNitride are said to be among the prospective frontrunners to fulfill Apple's production needs, according to DigiTimes. AUO has just begun mass production of microLED watch display panels, while PayNitride is mass producing related chips.

Talks between Apple and PlayNitride have reportedly faltered due to scale limitations, but AUO has apparently emerged as a "promising partner" with its advancements in microLED display applications.

The reports align with comments made by TrendForce, which previously said that Taiwan and South Korea have a "robust lineup of manufacturers for Micro LED chips, backplanes, and related transfer processes."

Kuo last week claimed that microLED production costs are currently "too high" for its Apple Watch Ultra project to be "economically viable." But according to industry sources cited by DigiTimes, the high costs of early microLED production remain within expectations.

"Based on Apple's track record in development, high expenses tied to pioneering technologies are typically manageable and can be addressed as long as production scales up," said the report. "However, the primary challenge persists in overcoming associated technological bottlenecks."

These bottlenecks are said to include an absence of circuit control design within the LEDs, which potentially increases the risk of LED chip damage. "Furthermore, the stamp technology solution falls short in achieving precise transfer, particularly when interfacing with Osram's vertical chips," according to DigiTimes.

The main takeaway from today's reports is that Apple likely still hopes to eventually transition to microLED in the future, but the Apple Watch Ultra may not necessarily be the first product to adopt the technology. According to a separate report today by The Elec, Apple may instead decide to prioritize microLED technology for future, lighter versions of Apple Vision Pro while it waits for watch implementation costs to come down.

Article Link: Apple Still Plans MicroLED Apple Watch Ultra, Seeks New Suppliers

Last edited:

BorisDG

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Bulgaria, EU
No, please no AUO. Their QC when it comes to LCD is absolute crap (I bet the rest will be the same). They put their panels in like 90% of the modern gaming monitors. I had recently ASUS XG279Q with AUO panel and had so many pixel issues. Changed to AW271D with LG panel - night and day difference in terms of quality.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Thank god! I really want to see MicroLED implemented on all devices, and the Apple Watch is the first, necessary step. I dream about MicroLED iPhone with an A22 Bionic, or a MicroLED M8 iPad Pro.

I was concerned that the latest news meant Apple decided to ditch any investment on this technology, relying on OLED for the foreseeable future.

No, please no AUO. Their QC when it comes to LCD is absolute crap (I bet the rest will be the same). They put their panels in like 90% of the modern gaming monitors. I had recently ASUS XG279Q with AUO panel and had so many pixel issues. Changed to AW271D with LG panel - night and day difference in terms of quality.
Damn, this is bad. Hopefully their QC over the stuff they will supply to Apple will be better. Let’s remember that Apple rejected several times BOE OLED panels for not reaching their minimum quality standards.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Maybe Apple will try to bring it in-house again like the sapphire project. :rolleyes:
They’re manufacturing devices in India, maybe this would be a good time to introduce new technology there as well.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
In other words, its not inexpensive enough yet, which is why we have had these rumors for 5 years now. Once they can make enough margin, then we will see it.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
The problem with AW is software, not hardware, not sure what going to a different display tech will make any difference.
Watch OS is too restrictive and hasn’t improved for many years. Just boring updates years after year.
That’s across the board though with all their products.

bviktor

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2019
The problem with AW is software, not hardware, not sure what going to a different display tech will make any difference.
Watch OS is too restrictive and hasn’t improved for many years. Just boring updates years after year.
I don't need to be "excited" by my Watch. I just want it to work. And not to take away existing functionality.

Like not being able to lock it in the workout menu anymore - now there's an empty space where that button used to be, so they realiy changed it just for the sake of change.

Or like restricting media storage to 25%. Now I have a lot of empty space I can't use for anything. Very clever feature.

All I need for these stupid REMOVALS of functionality to stop. Maybe improve battery life, and that's it.

Reactions: Mother Nature

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
No oxygen, no led, no charger, …..this way we soon pay for the empty environment safe box.

svish

macrumors G4
Nov 25, 2017
Did not think that it will be cancelled. Was expecting Apple to pick new suppliers. Launch may be delayed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.