Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the third beta of an upcoming visionOS 2 update to developers, with the third beta coming two weeks after the second beta.

visionOS-2-Feature-1.jpg

Registered developers are able to opt into the betas by opening up the Settings app on their device, going to the Software Update Section, tapping on the "Beta Updates" option, and toggling on the Developer Beta. Note that an Apple ID associated with a developer account is required to download and install the beta.

visionOS 2 is able to take the depth information from 2D photos and turn them into 3D photos using advanced machine learning. Apple says that the feature is meant to add depth to photos to make memories more immersive.

There are new hand gestures for activating the Home View and Control Center, and the Home View is also now customizable with apps able to be rearranged. Travel Mode now includes support for trains, and Guest User profiles are now saved for 30 days so guests don't have to do the setup process every time they try out the headset.

Later in the year, Mac Virtual Display will support higher resolution and larger sized virtual displays, which Apple says will be equivalent to two 4K monitors side by side. With an AirPlay update, the Vision Pro can serve as an AirPlay receiver, so content from the iPhone, iPad, or Mac can be shared to the headset.

The Mindfulness app can track and respond to breathing patterns using the camera for an improved meditation experience, and the Vision Pro supports Bluetooth mice with visionOS 2.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third visionOS 2 Beta to Developers

Reactions: JapanApple

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
I thought the first 2 Betas were as good as the general release, nice to see this moving along. Look forward to the larger Mac virtual displays - I assume that needs coordination with MacOS Sequoia since the Mac will be doing the rendering.

Reactions: Macaholic868

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
ugh.. the misuse of advanced is everywhere. people don't even understand what "machine learning" means. and
now you're referring to advanced machine learning.
How do you feel it's being misused (here and everywhere)?

Definition of Advanced

modern and recently developed

Synonyms for Advanced

state-of-the-art, new, modern, up to date, up to the minute, the newest, the latest, recentlydeveloped, newly discovered, newfangled, ultramodern, futuristic; progressive, forward, highly developed, avant-garde, ahead of thetimes, pioneering, groundbreaking, trailblazing, revolutionary, innovatory; sophisticated, complex, complicated, elaborate, intricate, ingenious; informal flash, snazzy, nifty; rare new-fashioned.

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
With an AirPlay update, the Vision Pro can serve as an AirPlay receiver, so content from the iPhone, iPad, or Mac can be shared to the headset.
This is so backwards! I want to be able to share what I'm seeing on an AVP with others. It would really be cool to be able to share content simultaneously between two AVPs. That's the feature apple needs to add to VisionOS. The sooner the better.

Reactions: Unami

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Guest User profiles are now saved for 30 days so guests don't have to do the setup process every time they try out the headset.

At least it's still restricted and a little user hostile. I guess, when they developed the Vision Pro, they had the buyers of the Apple Watch 24k-blingbling-gold edition in mind.

madis

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2023
How do you feel it's being misused (here and everywhere)?

Definition of Advanced
modern and recently developed
By this definition; an "advanced iPhone" is just the most recent one (iPhone 14).

I stand by my statement.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
By this definition; an "advanced iPhone" is just the most recent one (iPhone 14).

I stand by my statement.
Yep, sort of. By the dictionary definition, the most recent iPhone is advanced in comparison to previous ones. But it doesn't have to mean most recent. It means recent enough to do what you need it to do, in context.

The iPhone 15 is the most recent iteration, by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.