Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of the upcoming tvOS 18 refresh to developers for testing purposes, with the beta coming two weeks after the second beta came out.

apple-tv-4k-new-orange.jpg

Registered developers are able to download the tvOS 18 update by opting in to the beta through the Settings app on the Apple TV. A registered developer account is required.

tvOS 18 adds an InSight feature to the TV app, and it is able to provide real-time information about actors, music, and more in Apple TV+ shows and music. Enhanced Dialogue has been refined with machine learning and computational audio so it is better able to boost vocal clarity over background noise and music, plus it is now available on built-in TV speakers, AirPods, and other Bluetooth devices.

Subtitles will now show up automatically when relevant, such as when the TV's volume is muted, a show or movie is rewound, or when the language of a show doesn't match the device language.

Other new features include 21:9 aspect ratio support for projectors, new screen savers and improved controls for swapping screen savers, and support for Live Captions during FaceTime calls through an iPhone or iPad.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of tvOS 18 to Developers

Tofer929

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2023
Any word on if screen time restrictions will come to appleTV with 18? It’s wild to me that my kids Apple Watch /iphone / ipad will lock out at set time with screen time but they can turn the Apple TV in their room on at any time and watch youtube.

Dokk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
IA, TX ... I never know
Any word on if screen time restrictions will come to appleTV with 18? It’s wild to me that my kids Apple Watch /iphone / ipad will lock out at set time with screen time but they can turn the Apple TV in their room on at any time and watch youtube.
+1,000,000 on this. It's kind of shocking there isn't a way to *at least* set a blanket downtime on them (and toggle that on/off from my phone like I can with their iPads). Best option I've found is to kill internet to the devices via my mesh (Eero) app.

dljeffery

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Issaquah, WA
Subtitles will now show up automatically when relevant, such as when the TV's volume is muted
This still isn't working for me on DB3 (tvOS 18.0 [22J5315e]) on my current-gen Apple TV 4K (A2843). I tried it in a few different streaming apps, including of course on some Apple TV shows (Ted Lasso, Dark Matter). No dice.

In "Video and Audio" settings, I have "Show When Muted" set to "On". In "Remotes and Devices", "Home Theater Control", I have "Volume Control" set to "HDMI (TV)". Also, "Subtitles" when viewing an Apple TV show is set to "Auto (Recommended)".

Is there something I'm missing here?

sebnutt

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2021
Bussy-Saint-Georges, France
Although I find the Enhance Dialog option awesome while playing voices over exposition or gunfight scenes, it appears that the voices are way too low during quiet scenes. Even the Boost option do not change this. This should be addressed in the next beta.

The only way to get better and clearer voices / dialog in quiet scenes is to enable the Reduce Loud Sounds option, which highly compresses the audio dynamic.

Reactions: Realityck

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
Although I find the Enhance Dialog option awesome while playing voices over exposition or gunfight scenes, it appears that the voices are way too low during quiet scenes. Even the Boost option do not change this. This should be addressed in the next beta.

The only way to get better and clearer voices / dialog in quiet scenes is to enable the Reduce Loud Sounds option, which highly compresses the audio dynamic.
This wouldn't be necessary if directors and sound mix people did the mix so we can actually understand what characters are saying. Older movies have super clear dialog. It's the more recent (last decade or so) where this has gotten really bad. And it's not every movie - some new movies are super clear. But others are a quiet, mushy mess - all in the name of artistic choice. Great, but I need to hear what characters are saying to understand the movie! I really can't stand watching/trying-to-listen to Christopher Nolan movies now, no matter how good the movie is - it's just too annoying.

Tofer929

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2023
+1,000,000 on this. It's kind of shocking there isn't a way to *at least* set a blanket downtime on them (and toggle that on/off from my phone like I can with their iPads). Best option I've found is to kill internet to the devices via my mesh (Eero) app.
He uses Apple Music to play a looping sound track of white noise and uses a screen saver app so the glow of the TV is a night light.. so killing internet isn’t really an option. It shocks me that screen time shuts down his Apple Watch but not the Apple TV.

Danilo - Italy

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2014
This wouldn't be necessary if directors and sound mix people did the mix so we can actually understand what characters are saying. Older movies have super clear dialog. It's the more recent (last decade or so) where this has gotten really bad. And it's not every movie - some new movies are super clear. But others are a quiet, mushy mess - all in the name of artistic choice. Great, but I need to hear what characters are saying to understand the movie! I really can't stand watching/trying-to-listen to Christopher Nolan movies now, no matter how good the movie is - it's just too annoying.
Over the past twenty years, the skill of those involved in the audio mixing of films has evidently dropped considerably, and it is unbelievable that audiences have to use digital remedies in order to hear what the characters are saying. Shame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.