Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a new support document explaining how to accept iCloud terms and conditions for an Apple TV without owning an iPhone or iPad.

iCloud-General-Feature.jpg

Apple says customers who do not have an iPhone running iOS 16 or later or an iPad running iPadOS 16 or later can accept the new terms and conditions on the iCloud.com website. The support document outlines the steps to take:
1. Go to iCloud.com, then sign in with your Apple ID.
2. If necessary, follow the prompts to review and update your account settings.
3. Review and agree to iCloud Terms and Conditions.
Last month, Google employee Chris Koch said he was unable to accept the new iCloud terms and conditions for his Apple TV since he did not own an iPhone, iPad, or any other Apple device. He noted that he tried signing into iCloud.com at the time, but said he was not prompted to accept any new terms and conditions on the website.

While it's a simple workaround, Apple evidently felt this issue was worth addressing in a support document after Koch's tweet received nearly one million views. In a follow-up tweet, Koch said signing out of his Apple ID account under Settings → Users and Accounts → [Name] → iCloud and then signing back in led him to be prompted to accept the new iCloud terms and conditions directly on his Apple TV, with no other device needed.

Update February 10: Apple has pulled the support document for unknown reasons.

Article Link: Apple Says iCloud Terms Can Be Accepted on Web After Viral Tweet [Updated]

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: true god

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
Yeah why not just let them accept it on the AppleTV ?

Or if that's not possible then at least say in the popup it can be done on the web too.

I think they went back and fixed it, don't think it was possible. They realized the Apple TV doesn't require in the box to own another Apple device, it's no Apple Watch, and had to workout a solution. Sometimes Apple is too deep into the vision of everything working together they forget not every Apple TV owner has an iPhone.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Yeah why not just let them accept it on the AppleTV ?

Or if that's not possible then at least say in the popup it can be done on the web too.
They probably will but that will require a tvOS update. Likely just deployed this for the meantime.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
I had to deal with this a month or so ago. My mother is not super tech literate and got locked out of her AppleTV. She does actually have an iPad, but it wasn't on the latest OS. Apparently its storage was full and so stopped auto-updating. I had her try logging in online, but it didn't work at the time. The only way to accept the terms was apparently with that device.

So I had to spend a bunch of time walking her through getting her iPad updated because Apple couldn't include a little "Accept" button on the AppleTV.

Aaron44126

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
My Apple TV has been nagging me but no T&C prompt appeared when I logged into the iCloud.com website. (I do have a phone with iOS 16, but the Apple TV is on a general/family account, and I haven't gone through the trouble to shuffle device accounts to make it happy.)

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
It's incomprehensible to Apple that somebody might not on an iPhone that can run the latest iOS version.
But in reality there's millions of people still on iOS 12 and millions more running order versions of macOS or running running old Apple TV equipment.
Only a small percentage of the world can afford to buy the latest in the greatest.:rolleyes:

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
For me this scenario underscores how Apple's software team seemingly build/test for 'perfect environment' scenarios and don't bother (or care) about the evil outliers. Perhaps partly explains why so many people run into issues upgrading software versions on macOS unless they're running a hardly modified version of the direct predecessor to the new update.

Apple, start building new experiences and software for your 0.1% power users. They're the ones that will make new experiences for the masses anyway.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Why not show them on the tv with an accept button. My playstation can do that.
PlayStation can do that, Xbox can do that, Android TVs and streamers can do that, and the majority of the market own Android phones. Apple must be special though.

Got to say this is a farce from them, it takes them this long to fix a glaring issue.

Reactions: gusmula

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
Finally! Apple screwed up bad on this whole fiasco. My old itunes account is the one I use for my Apple TV, and other common hubs. Just accept and click shouldnt be hard to implement on ATv.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
What kind of man does not own an iPhone?
I don't use my main icloud account on Apple TV. I have a legacy Apple ID from iTunes, with all the music and purchases. Its convinient to have one common Apple Id for homekit/itunes or apps. It was asking me to sign out from my .Mac/iCloud to the old itunes account to accept the ToS. I want to fire the guy who thought this was a good idea.

Reactions: SpotOnT
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.