Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has pulled the Apple Music SharePlay feature that it was testing for the HomePod and Apple TV in the iOS 17.4 and tvOS 17.4 betas, which suggests the option may not be available when the updates are released in March.

SharePlay-Music-Control-Expanding-Feature-2.jpg

The first betas of tvOS 17.4 and iOS 17.4 enabled SharePlay music controls on both the HomePod and the Apple TV, but as of the second beta, the functionality has been removed.

SharePlay is a feature that allows users to watch television, listen to music, use apps, and play games together over FaceTime, but Apple has been expanding the feature. In iOS 17, SharePlay was added to CarPlay, allowing everyone in the car to contribute songs to a shared playlist.

On the HomePod and the Apple TV, the SharePlay feature allowed users to generate a QR code (on the iPhone for HomePod) that could be scanned to give friends and family members the option to play songs on the device. The HomePod or Apple TV owner was required to have an Apple Music subscription, but those contributing content simply needed the Music app without a subscription.

It is not clear if Apple will return the SharePlay feature to the HomePod or Apple TV ahead of the launch of the iOS 17.4 and tvOS 17.4 updates, but so far, SharePlay has been missing from the past two beta releases.

iOS 17.4 and tvOS 17.4 are set to come out in March.

(Thanks, Hidde!)

Article Link: Apple Removes HomePod SharePlay Feature From iOS 17.4 and tvOS 17.4 Betas

heroinsmoker

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
I've been using SharePlay with a close family member recently with some success. But can someone explain why it's so complicated and doesn't work in certain situations? For example, if I am on a FaceTime with this person on my iPad, and they are on their MacBook Air, and I am watching Disney+, it gives me an option to share what I am watching with them. From my iPad, it appears it is working as it says it is sharing Disney+ content with them, no error messages. But they don't see anything. Am I to understand this setup doesn't work? They would need to have a Disney+ Mac app (which doesn't exist) to validate their end? Am I missing something? Why doesn't Apple tell both me and them that this isn't working? Instead it seems to be working from my end. Just terrible user interface, no explanations of why it isn't working. Of course this setup works perfectly fine with AppleTV+. Thanks in advance for any insight.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
These devices cannot run the feature. It needs powerful hardware coming to the iPhone 16 and 2nd gen HomePod.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
At the rate Apple is using QR code across their system, just add QR code support at Apple pay already..

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
SharePlay is a badly needed feature for the Vision Pro so families with two or more can watch content together while wearing them.
Families that have a Vision Pro each can probably just use their home cinema to watch a movie, or perhaps rent the local iMax for the night? You’re expecting way too much from Apple!!!!!

Reactions: Rradcircless

Reeneman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2021
Families that have a Vision Pro each can probably just use their home cinema to watch a movie, or perhaps rent the local iMax for the night? You’re expecting way too much from Apple!!!!!
And you’re expecting way too much from the Apple stans :D

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Am I dreaming or was this promised at last years WWDC?
Nope, you’re thinking of SharePlay via CarPlay, which actually did launch back with 17.
This was just discovered in the beta a couple weeks ago…

I know rolling updates are the future, but maybe Apple stops announcing features they don't plan for release? They have enough events to announce these features when they're 2-3 months from release and not 9+.
Apple never formally announced this feature, it just appeared in a beta update, and was removed in the next.

I miss the Jobs days when updates weren't so frequent and we got the features as demoed on stage.
Right, like mobile me.
Or push notifications (delayed an entire year)

Reactions: rettro and whatgift

ItzJordan

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2015
Australia
This would have been a party killer. Apple TV on the alfresco TV in the entertainment area - guests can queue songs and Apple Music Karaoke takes care of the rest with the lyrics on screen. 😩 Please bring it back before release. 😩

Reactions: ErikGrim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.