Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the macOS Ventura 13.3 update, Apple has released new 16.4 firmware that's designed for the Studio Display.

apple-studio-display-blue.jpg

The Studio Display firmware can be updated by connecting it to a Mac. Studio Display owners can go to System Preferences > Software Update to install the firmware.

According to Apple's release notes, the Studio Display Firmware Update 16.4 adds support for in-field recalibration of the display using the Pro Display Calibrator. It allows for specific color workflows that may require custom calibration by an in-house spectroradiometer. The update also includes minor stability improvements.

Article Link: Apple Releases Studio Display Firmware Update

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I'm still a little baffled why Apple sells monitors, and why anyone would buy them given the competition out there for really nice displays for much less than the $1600 - $5000 of Apple models...
Well, I gave them my money. I own both a Pro Display XDR and Apple Studio Display. I use them exclusively for productivity work (not content creation) and couldn't be happier.

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
That page is updated now.

Studio Display Firmware Update 16.4​

• Adds support for in-field recalibration of the display using Pro Display Calibrator. Enables specific color workflows that may require custom calibration by an in-house spectroradiometer. Learn more
  • Minor stability improvements

Reactions: DotCom2

eflx

macrumors regular
May 14, 2020
I'm still a little baffled why Apple sells monitors, and why anyone would buy them given the competition out there for really nice displays for much less than the $1600 - $5000 of Apple models...
Because they're designed to work easily with Apple computers, they match the aesthetics and are actually good monitors. I'm baffled why anyone would use some cheap PC monitor honestly...

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Because we like wasting money, of course! :)

Seriously, when I bought my ASD last year, there wasn't much competition in the 5k 27" space. I looked at an LG monitor, but it wasn't that much cheaper, and the build quality wasn't as good based on reviews. AFAIK, that hasn't changed much since, and the ASD has been excellent for my work.

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
We need a more affordable Apple monitor. I’m an iMac guy and I’m exploring the idea of buying an m2 mini but with the monitor + accessories the total I’d need to spend would be over $2k. Why can’t we have a “good enough” Apple monitor in the $500 range?

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Because we like wasting money, of course! :)

Seriously, when I bought my ASD last year, there wasn't much competition in the 5k 27" space. I looked at an LG monitor, but it wasn't that much cheaper, and the build quality wasn't as good based on reviews. AFAIK, that hasn't changed much since, and the ASD has been excellent for my work.
We had the 5K LG displays at work. because they are plastic, with a plastic stand, they wobble when you type.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020

If just getting a "really nice display" is your yardstick, then yeah, you'll be fine with whatever $500 BenQ monitor you end up choosing. But if you're doing work that requires a reference monitor, then you're looking at potentially spending $30k+. Apple's high end monitors seem to split the difference. They're factory calibrated and supposedly very accurate, but I'm sure an actual professional could explain why some one needs to spend huge $$$ on something like this and why an XDR won't cut it.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

Until very recently, the only other 5K display on the market that was compatible with Macs and/or macOS was the LG UltraFine 5K and while it was a couple-hundred dollars cheaper, it is generally considered by owners as inferior to the Studio Display.

We now have more options coming from Samsung and Dell, but we do not yet know their costs and how well they will integrate with macOS.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
How is the camera in the meantime? There was such a ********* after release and now?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Because the PC industry insists that 140 pixels per inch (e.g., 32" 4K) is retina. While 140 is fine if you sit 2 feet or further from the display, at around 1.5 feet or less, pixels are pretty noticeable.

lkrupp

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2004
We need a more affordable Apple monitor. I’m an iMac guy and I’m exploring the idea of buying an m2 mini but with the monitor + accessories the total I’d need to spend would be over $2k. Why can’t we have a “good enough” Apple monitor in the $500 range?
Except Apple has never been in the "good enough" business, and likely never will be.

lkrupp

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2004
How is the camera in the meantime? There was such a ********* after release and now?
That was a typical tech blog tempest in a teapot. A few nerds went ballistic over the 1080P camera and suddenly the Studio Display camera was a POS. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I have been using a Studio Display for almost 8 months now and the camera is just fine.

sflagel

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
I have been looking for one and I cannot find a single 27-inch 5K monitor with speakers, microphone and camera, and that does not have to be scaled down to 4K or less to display text correctly, to work with a Mac.
I would love you forever if you point me to one.

McWetty

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Except Apple has never been in the "good enough" business, and likely never will be.
Magic Mouse charging has entered the chat. 🤣

Kidding. All things considered, even Apple has a few “good enough” products that help it dip into the affordable category. Id love to see a monitor that is 5K@27” without a camera/AS chip and decent color space. So basically an iMac without the guts.

Then again, I want Targeted Display Mode brought back so maybe I’m just weird.

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
Oh for God's sake. Please, please don't create yet another thread about how much you despise this display. This thread is about the update. Not for general or specific Apple hate. You obviously don't have the monitor, so why are you even posting in this topic. I love my two Apple Studio displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.