Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the keynote event that saw the introduction of new Macs, Apple today released a Studio Display firmware beta that is available to developers.

apple-studio-display-blue.jpg

All Studio Display models are able to receive over-the-air firmware updates, but this firmware update is limited to Macs that are running the new macOS Sonoma operating system at the current time. Studio Display owners running macOS Sonoma can go to System Settings > Software Update to install the firmware.

Apple has not provided details on what's included in the firmware update.

Article Link: Apple Releases Studio Display 17 Firmware Beta

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I was so hopeful when they announced the Mac Pro the XDR display would be updated. Then nothing, so the next thing, would they drop the price? Nope. Damn, Apple!😂

Reactions: sockdoggy and Huck

MacLoveMacHate

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2017
I was so hopeful when they announced the Mac Pro the XDR display would be updated. Then nothing, so the next thing, would they drop the price? Nope. Damn, Apple!😂
Was encouraging to see Amazon's recent price drop, I think similar to Costco, but seems limited to only the non XDR

Matt Leaf

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2012
I installed this along with Sonoma and, I don’t know if this was fixed before, but I’m getting some better power management features. The display now seems to ‘sleep’ more … soundly… for lack of a better word. I’ve noticed the fans now turn off after a period, whereas before they used to stay on permanently. Definitely appreciated to extend the life of the fans. So it appears the display goes into deep sleep after a period. I haven’t thoroughly tested, but I noticed for example, unplugging a lightning cable plugged into display connected to keyboard, would get the fans going again - but not wake the display. This is with MacBook, and mouse dongle attached to MacBook Air. Minor changes but I’m happy with this.

Reactions: chrismear

alfansome

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2012

Following the keynote event that saw the introduction of new Macs, Apple today released a Studio Display firmware beta that is available to developers.

apple-studio-display-blue.jpg

All Studio Display models are able to receive over-the-air firmware updates, but this firmware update is limited to Macs that are running the new macOS Sonoma operating system at the current time. Studio Display owners running macOS Sonoma can go to System Settings > Software Update to install the firmware.

Apple has not provided details on what's included in the firmware update.

Article Link: Apple Releases Studio Display 17 Firmware Beta
If I install this update when booted into Sonoma running on external hard drive will it cause any problems when I reboot back into Ventura on main hard drive?

shfawaz

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2007
Detroit, MI
Initiated the Studio display firmware update after successfully upgrading the system to Sonoma on my Mac Studio and the progress bar for the studio display firmware installation has been at the 99% level for a while. Update seems to have hung. Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 24

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Initiated the Studio display firmware update after successfully upgrading the system to Sonoma on my Mac Studio and the progress bar for the studio display firmware installation has been at the 99% level for a while. Update seems to have hung. Suggestions?
How long is a while? 20 mins? An hour? A day?

shfawaz

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2007
Detroit, MI
At the time I had to leave it was already about an hour. I left it. Will see if anything has changed once I get back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.