Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second betas of upcoming iOS 17.6 and iPadOS 17.6 updates to public beta testers, with the betas coming two weeks after the initial iOS and iPadOS 17.6 developer betas.

iOS-17.6-Feature-Redux.jpg

Public beta testers can get the beta by opening up the Settings app, going to the Software Update section, tapping on the "Beta Updates" option, and toggling on the iOS 17 or iPadOS 17 Public Beta. Signing up on Apple's beta testing website is required.

The new additions Apple promised for iOS 17 have all been implemented at this point, so it is not clear what will be included in iOS 17.6, and no features were discovered in the developer betas.

With Apple now shifting its focus to iOS 18, it is likely that iOS 17.6 will include bug fixes and other under-the-hood improvements.

Apple has also seeded the second public betas of upcoming watchOS 10.6 and tvOS 17.6 updates.

Article Link: Apple Releases Second Public Beta of iOS 17.6

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Anyone know what's included in 17.6? Seems weird to have a beta for an OS version that does nothing
"Bug fixes and performance improvements" Here is some other info from a few other sources:

New features in the iOS 17.6 beta​

iOS 17.6 introduces a brand new feature for sports fans in the TV app. ‘Catch Up’ enables viewing some of the top highlights of a game in process so you can jump right in even if you missed the start.

Otherwise, iOS 17.6 focuses on stability and performance improvements, with no other major new features currently known. That may change during the beta cycle, however.
....................................................................................................
At the moment, iOS 17.6 beta 2 is more about what Apple could add rather than what's already there. Apple plans to bring Lost Mode to Apple Pencil Pro on the Find My app.

Besides that, it seems Apple will let users remove their devices from Repair Mode through the Find My app as well. At this moment, you can't do that.

For Apple News+, Apple is working on Live Activity support for Home Screen and Lock Screen, so you can keep following games and other factual stories happening at that moment.

iOS 17.6 beta 2 is also bringing a new Messages app setting that lets you filtered unknown senders also if they're an international sender.

Parowdy

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2024
Europe
I wanted to do it, but the number of bugs users are posting on reddit, seems a little to risky for my tastes.
I haven’t read into it but for me it’s just inconvenient often. I can’t open Screen Time Settings, can’t use limited apps after time ran out, sometimes app icons aren’t shown and control center is awkward. Choose you poison.

• Haha
Reactions: one more

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
good. i'll not be upgrading to iOS 18 until at least 18.2

this looks like a huge rushed update and with apples past history i suspect there will be loads of bugs and of course apple won't have all features at 18.0 release. i'll wait until it exits the true beta stage (18.2+) where all promised features are included.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.