Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is seemingly expecting high demand for its new M1-powered iPad Pro as the company has asked its main chip supplier, TSMC, to ramp up production of the chip for its new iPad, and newer Mac computers, according to industry sources cited by DigiTimes.

ipad-pro-with-m1-chip.jpeg

Earlier this week, Apple unveiled a brand new 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro powered by the M1 Apple silicon chip, the same chip powering the newly announced 24-inch iMac, and previously released Mac mini, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro.

The M1 chip first started shipping in November, and amid an ongoing global chip shortage, demand for the chip is even more pronounced thanks to the new iPad Pro. DigiTimes reports that TSMC had a previous goal of 120,000 chip wafers per month for the second half of the year. Thanks to a strong push from Apple, TSMC now has its eyes set on 140,000 to 150,000 monthly chip waters from the second to the fourth quarter of the year.

Even though the new iPad Pro and 24-inch iMac were announced this week, they won't begin shipping until the second half of May. The significant delay between announcement and shipments is likely due to strain put on Apple's suppliers.

Research cited by another DigiTimes report today suggests that the new higher-end 12.9-inch iPad Pro which features a new Liquid Retina XDR Display, will reach 5 million shipments this year. The new iPad Pro and 24-inch iMac will be available for pre-order starting Friday, April 30.

Article Link: Apple Ramping Up M1 Production as New 12.9-inch iPad Pro Expected to Reach Five Million Shipments in 2021

Last edited:

EagleGSU

Suspended
Apr 19, 2021
Anyone with prior experience with apple preorders care to share how next Friday will work? What time will the preorders start? Will it be limited, where it could potentially sell out within minutes?

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Anyone with prior experience with apple preorders care to share how next Friday will work? What time will the preorders start? Will it be limited, where it could potentially sell out within minutes?

Pre-Orders usually start at 5 AM (Cali time) and depending on the product, they usually sell out within minutes in the sense that the delivery days are being pushed further and further

EagleGSU

Suspended
Apr 19, 2021
Pre-Orders usually start at 5 AM (Cali time) and depending on the product, they usually sell out within minutes in the sense that the delivery days are being pushed further and further
Does the site normally handle the traffic pretty well? I figure if any company can handle such demand it’d be Apple...but I’ve been surprised before.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

The new 12.9" is the best iPad Apple has ever made. Customer demand to acquire one will be off-the-charts. Stock is expected to be extremely constrained for months, so you'll need to be online the moment orders go live if you want a launch day delivery.

ggx12

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2021
It depends if you are looking for a very specific model or not. If iPhone launches are an indication, some models sell out faster than others so be very attentive if you are looking for a specific configuration. That being said, it will not be phrased as 'sold out', you'll just see a later shipping date (so like, not the launch batch).

I don't remember the time pre-orders start but it's typically known beforehand. Be sure to stay alert the previous days on here :)

ggx12

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2021
Alternatively, be sure to check other retailers as well (e.g. amazon) as they sometimes have launch stock. I remember you could get a M1 MBA faster there back in December.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Does the site normally handle the traffic pretty well? I figure if any company can handle such demand it’d be Apple...but I’ve been surprised before.

I would recommend using the Apple Store App. When I was checking the website on my MacBook to pre-order the iPhone 12 Pro Max, the website still showed "we will be back soon" 5 minutes after 5 am while the Apple Store App already let me make the purchase.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
The new 12.9" is the best iPad Apple has ever made. Customer demand to acquire one will be off-the-charts. Stock is expected to be extremely constrained for months, so you'll need to be online the moment orders go live if you want a launch day delivery.
As was the prior one. The 2018 and 2020 ones are still overkill for what iPadOS and these apps can do.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
As was the prior one. The 2018 and 2020 ones are still overkill for what iPadOS and these apps can do.

For example, people who use Adobe apps will immediately see benefits from these super-performant iPads Pros. Every year we see more and more advanced applications making their way to iPad Pro - with better UI, improved functionality, and delightful experience. These latest updates will only broaden the appeal to developers.

I expect Final Cut Pro and Xcode will be coming soon.

Anything that allows for a richer, smoother, more refined user experience is far from overkill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.