Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple and its main supplier Foxconn are now producing the iPhone 13 in India, the company confirmed to Reuters, signaling a continued push to diversify its product supply chain outside of China.

iphone-13-face-id.jpg

India has become the home of production for several of Apple's products. Last year, the company began to produce the iPhone 12 in the country and according to Reuters, Apple has plans to begin iPad production locally.

Apple has taken advantage of several government schemes aimed to boost local production of products, cut down costs, and offer employment opportunities. Apple began production in India first with the iPhone SE in 2017, according to Reuters.

In 2020, Apple launched its online store in India, offering customers a direct way to purchase products directly from the company without having to go through a reseller. Apple had promised that its first retail store will open in India by the end of 2021, however with that deadline now passed, it remains to be seen how soon an Apple Store opens in the country.

Article Link: Apple Now Produces the iPhone 13 in India

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
Good stuff - how do I exercise the option to buy an iPhone made in India rather than China? Would rather order from a production site in a country which has elements of democracy despite issues, than to reward a regime like China.

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Good stuff - how do I exercise the option to buy an iPhone made in India rather than China? Would rather order from a production site in a country which has elements of democracy despite issues, than to reward a regime like China.
You probably have to buy it locally in India.
Most of this is probably for domestic market to avoid the huge import tariff. Other countries, especially those with low/no import tariff, would still be served by China.

xRem

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2022
Since it is a new production line I am sure there will be some issues at the start but once they gain more experience in India I am sure that it will be up to the usual standard. Going forward, I'd definitely be happier with a phone made in India vs. made in China. It's only small progress, but better than nothing.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
My fingers are crossed that all iPhone 14 gets produced in India. Would love to see a new change. It is time. 🇮🇳

“Designed by Apple in California Assembled in India”
Not gonna happen that quick. Nothing can match the production volume and speed of the Chinese factories. Nobody is even close. The Chinese factories are extremely difficult to replicate in other countries.

Maybe for iPhone 24, but not 14.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
You mean where it is easier to exploit people? ?
Depends on your viewpoint I suppose. From what I've read, Foxconn provide on-site accommodation for workers, and pay in-line with other manufacturing plants across China.

Won't deny that conditions are up to Western standards, but a lot of workers say that the work is a lot better than alternatives they face. Again, all dependent on viewpoints.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Depends on your viewpoint I suppose. From what I've read, Foxconn provide on-site accommodation for workers, and pay in-line with other manufacturing plants across China.

Won't deny that conditions are up to Western standards, but a lot of workers say that the work is a lot better than alternatives they face. Again, all dependent on viewpoints.
Agree.

For many of these factory workers, their previous alternatives were to work on farming/mining, hard labor. It's easy to see downward, but for many of these worker from the provinces, working at Foxconn mean much better condition and more stable income.

And yes, Chinese factories tend to have their workers live within the factory complex, in dorms. It can be seen as a small city on its own. This is not easy to replicate elsewhere. Plus the way the Chinese work (they are like robots in literal sense) and their attitude/mindset, is very different than everyone else.

Reactions: szw-mapple fan

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
Producing things like this in India is really a challenge.
I would skip for sure the first models made there as i believe the assembly quality will go down …

Reactions: decypher44

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Until India abstained from condemning Russia for invading Ukraine, I would have agreed with you. Now not so much. Whereas many in the West would have applauded Apple for doing this a few months ago, something tells me this will get mixed reviews at best. Why would consumers in North America and Europe want to buy phones from a country that states that Russia is an 'ally'? Production in India might not be any less morally repugnant than making phones in the PRC. See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-60857406.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.