Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music is testing a new feature that allows users to import songs and playlists into their library from rival streaming services like Spotify.

apple-music-songshift-transfer.jpg

References to the feature in the latest Apple Music beta for Android were first spotted by a Reddit user, and MacRumors has now independently confirmed that the references are indeed in the APK, or Android Package Kit.

The feature appears to be a collaborative effort with SongShift, a long-running third-party service that enables users to transfer their music libraries and playlists between different music streaming services.

Images shared on Reddit show new prompts in Apple Music for Android that offer to "add saved music and playlists you made in other music services to your Apple Music library." The option also appears in the Android app's settings.

The feature does not yet appear to be fully functional, and the screens are not showing for everyone running the beta, suggesting Apple is at an early stage of A/B testing, or split testing the feature. A/B testing is a method used to compare two versions of the same app, and users are randomly exposed to either version. Statistical analysis is then used to determine which variation performs better for a given conversion goal.

Third-party music transfer services have been available for a few years, but many have limited functionality without a one-off payment or subscription. There's no guarantee that Apple Music will take the SongShift integration through to full development, but if it does retain the feature, there's a good chance it will eventually appear in the Apple Music app for Apple devices.

Article Link: Apple Music Testing Feature That Imports Libraries From Other Services

kurtfoster

Contributor
Mar 8, 2009
What they need to do start curating better playlists. As nice as the lossless audio sounds, Spotify is way ahead of Apple and theirs. And I’m speaking from someone that uses Apple Music as my primary music source because of the audio quality, but Spotify has better playlists.

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2013
What they need to do start curating better playlists. As nice as the lossless audio sounds, Spotify is way ahead of Apple and theirs. And I’m speaking from someone that uses Apple Music as my primary music source because of the audio quality, but Spotify has better playlists.
I'm pretty sure that'll be addressed in the new OS releases.
Better ai assisted playlists have been teased many times.

TWINO

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2024
I tried both the paid versions of Songshift and FreeYourMusic to transfer music from Spotify to Apple Music and both were mediocre, in my opinion. I eventually used Playlisty, which is specifically made to transfer music to Apple Music and it is absolutely amazing. Almost all hits were perfect matches. It's also cheap, just a one time payment of 2,99. Therefore I recommend everyone that wants to transfer their music to Apple Music to use playlisty.

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
My issue is with esoteric music (especially in the EDM category) Apple Music is lacking compared to Spotify... and in both cases you have the issue of disappearing music... I'd love to switch to using AM exclusively (especially given Spotify's slowness in refining/improving), but I'd lose around 20% of my library...

Also Spotify's "Discover Weekly" is miles/kms ahead of Apple in actually discovering tracks I add to my playlists (though some weeks are a total dud).

Reactions: Unami

Account25476

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2021
"Powered by SongShift"

Apple should develop the SW on their own, if they need "help" for things like importing music from a different app library, How they're planning do achieve the "new super-advanced" Siri model in iOS 18?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
They should first do something like Apple Music Connect? Something that will allow app like Roon using it. That will be awesome.

Etienooo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
How about being able to read audio files from the Music App without having to go through a Mac/PC first in 2024?

Reactions: gusmula

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
I would love Apple Music to be testing a feature that just lets you upload your library to the cloud. I spent years curating my library, managing different song versions, fine tuning album art and metadata. AM will screw that all up by “matching” songs with what it thinks I want out of its library. So I’ve never been able to use Apple Music or any of its useful features. This is one area where “Apple knows best” is a royal pain.

Reactions: mickhyperion

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Does Apple Music have anything like Spotify's Blend playlists with another use? I love this feature and if Apple doesnt have it, why would I want to switch?

There are many other reasons I like Spotify better as well, but that was just one off the top of my head that i use daily

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
I used songshift once and it sort of worked. In the end, Apple lacks quite some music which Spotify has. And the search is just bad. I sometimes use the Spotify account of my son to search for music so I then know how to type it in exactly in AM. They should focus on those core festures first, imho.

It's a shame because of the better quality, better integration into apple's exosystem and allegedly better payments to artists, but eventually we're probably going to switch back to spotify.

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
Seriously?! Fix the existing with Apple Music first. Syncing existing playlist keeps on creating duplicate with Apple Music.

1. This is MacRumors forum, not Apple support
2. Educated guess that they have more than one person working on Apple Music and on more than one thing at a time.
3. Customer acquisition is always a high priority

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.