Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has revamped the song queuing system in the Music app on iOS 18, and early reaction to the changes has been overwhelmingly positive.

iOS-18-Music-Queue.jpg

Notable changes include a new "Add Songs to Queue" button at the bottom of the queue, an option to clear the entire queue all at once, and the ability to change the currently playing song without having the queue disappear. In addition, the former "Play Last" menu option has been replaced with "Add to Queue." While listening to a playlist, it is now possible to add a song to the queue for immediate playback after the current song, whereas the song would previously get added to the end of the playlist.

These changes bring Apple Music's queuing system on iPhone more in line with Spotify, and the Android version of the Apple Music app. It also brings Apple Music's queuing system more in line with how it worked back on iOS 9.

iOS 18 is currently available in beta for members of the Apple Developer Program, with a public beta to follow in July. The update should be widely released in September, allowing everyone to try out the new queuing system.

Article Link: Apple Music Features Improved Spotify-Like Queue System on iOS 18

Last edited:

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Words aren’t enough to express how happy I am about this change. The current/old queuing system is so frustrating, convoluted, and tedious. It’s been my biggest complaint about Apple Music. This upgrade alone makes me tempted to jump on the iOS 18 beta.

phuklok1

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
We're up to IOS 18. Can we please have a real custom EQ?! you know with individual frequency bands like they were able to do in the 70s? Can it remember independent settings for each bluetooth device it is attached to? that way you don't have to keep messing with it when you connect to a small bluetooth speaker, a car, or home system? Maybe swipe gestures for skipping tracks? there were JB tweaks for my iphone 4 that could do those things over a decade ago! you know, real simple, usefull and basic things...I think it's time...Please?! LOL

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
Finally, the possibility to clear the next-up queue on iOS! Thought the day would never come. My biggest annoyance on iOS.

Now give me the option to turn off all those tabs with Home, Discovery and Radio. I just want MY music and the option to browse the Apple music Library. I don’t need help from Apple in discovering music, that’s what Robert Christgau is for.

Reactions: !!! and kurtfoster

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
"Play Last" was always confusing to me, even though I knew what it meant. Play Next is clear, but "last" wasn't always last. I had to force myself to look at the icons which were more representative of what it did. "Add to Queue" is a better description.

I wouldn't call it "Spotify-like" though. This is how iTunes worked ages ago. Apple messed with a working formula and finally went back to how it used to work.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Not mention of Ai coming to Apple Music, weird.
Would be a safe place to experiment.
I'm really frustrated with the music that AM selects to play after my playlist ends...99% of the songs are nothing similar with those on my playlist.

Last edited:

TapDatApp

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Sounds good, but are we losing the Play Last functionality all together? Does everything added to the queue always go to the top? If so, I don’t understand why this was a replacement and not a new addition.

AppleUser2

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Please fix local music libraries on macOS, it’s so bad you won’t believe it. Navigation is totally broken when searching. Sometimes I wish we’d go back to the latest iTunes version with Cover Flow. I don’t care that it was bloated, it was brilliant for local music libraries.
It can literally take days for my playlists such as 'New Music Daily' to refresh....that plus can they just make Apple Music faster (as fast as Spotify)? That is my only complaint as the rest of it (radio, Lossless etc) is good.

AppleUser2

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
We're up to IOS 18. Can we please have a real custom EQ?! you know with individual frequency bands like they were able to do in the 70s? Can it remember independent settings for each bluetooth device it is attached to? that way you don't have to keep messing with it when you connect to a small bluetooth speaker, a car, or home system? Maybe swipe gestures for skipping tracks? there were JB tweaks for my iphone 4 that could do those things over a decade ago! you know, real simple, usefull and basic things...I think it's time...Please?! LOL
That would be so good! What they have at the moment is a joke (and hidden away).

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Apple really is doing a good job at fixing the little grievances across iOS. With Spotify's price increases, I may just move back to AM this fall.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
This feature has single-handedly made me install beta 1 - the queue was a mess in prior versions and made me seriously consider going back to Spotify. Much happier now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.