Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced it has launched its self-service repair program in Europe, extending the program beyond the United States for the first time.

Apple-EU-Self-Service-repair-iPhone_big.jpg.large_.jpg

Customers in Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Poland, Spain, Sweden, and the UK can now purchase genuine Apple parts, and consult repair manuals, through the Apple Self Service Repair Store. Apple says customers who wish to complete their own repairs will be able to perform many of the most common repairs for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 lineups, and Mac notebooks with Apple silicon.

To conduct a repair, customers will first need to review the repair manual for their product and the specific repair on Apple's support website. After, they'll be able to order the required parts and tools from the Self Service Repair Store and begin the repair. All the tools and parts offered in the store undergo "extensive testing to ensure the highest quality, safety, and reliability," Apple says.

While customers must order the parts needed for the repair, Apple will provide a $49 kit that includes all the essential tools required to conduct repairs for customers. The rental kit will be available to customers for one week before they're needed to be sent back to Apple and are shipped free of charge. This rental option offers flexibility to customers who may not want to fully own and purchase tools for just a single repair.

The program is part of Apple's efforts to "further expand access to repairs," according to the company. Still, Apple cautions that the "vast majority" of customers should still visit a professional repair provider, such as an Apple Store, to ensure their devices are repaired safely and reliably. Over the last three years, Apple has expanded its repair network, including over 3,000 Independent Repair Providers and more than 5,000 authorized service providers worldwide.

Article Link: Apple Launches Self Service Repair Program in Europe

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
As a former repairman, I'm pretty sure this will cause more e-waste.
Even for experts, opening a new model for the first time can be a challenge.
I've fixed sooo many phones that were completely wrecked (both the old hardware and the replacement) by geeky guys trying to fix them on their own...

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
I've fixed sooo many phones that were completely wrecked (both the old hardware and the replacement) by geeky guys trying to fix them on their own...
If Apple had their way, they wouldn’t be doing this. But too many people, plus the US Govt, and the EU have been demanding Right to Repair. If people want to destroy their phones out of principle, who are Apple to argue? 🤷🏻‍♂️

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
They're obeying to the Right to Repair demands in various countries, but by making the solution so absurd, people will just end up going to Apple and pay them to do the repairs.
Pulling an iPhone a part these days is not an easy task. The solution is not absurd, it’s trying to make it idiot proof for idiots. There’s nothing stopping anyone trying to fix their phone without it.

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015
India
It’s the owners right. I wrecked my iBook G4 during repair of the HDD but I sucked it up and moved on.

Reactions: harriska2

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015
India
They're obeying to the Right to Repair demands in various countries, but by making the solution so absurd, people will just end up going to Apple and pay them to do the repairs.
Tim Cook clearly said this is for tech bros and individuals who want to do things themselves. Most repairs of out of warranty Apple devices still happen in unauthorized stores .

Reactions: harriska2

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
It’s the owners right. I wrecked my iBook G4 during repair of the HDD but I sucked it up and moved on.
not if you send the old part back to apple.

Scott Robinson

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2014
I replace the screen on my iPhoneX two years ago with a comparable quality OLED as I could guarantee the local repair places were using good quality screens. Even with the hardware to pair the screen with the iPhone it was still far cheaper than sending it to apple. These Self Repair prices in the UK seem exactly the same price as sending to apple for repair eg. £280 for an iPhone 12. Why bother?

PsykX

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2006
Pulling an iPhone a part these days is not an easy task. The solution is not absurd [...]
The solution should be to make it easier to pull apart, not to send you 50kg of machines to your home.

It's not just absurd time-wise and money-wise, but also environment-wise. They're working their ass off to reduce packaging for the environment, and then they send you these huge machines for you to send them back...
2343D96D-ABE8-4988-8471-F5262ADEE48D.jpeg

Reactions: LightsOn45

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
When it was first reported many people same feeling. and yes they said the cost would be mostly the same. nothing hid it was all known months ago.

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
The solution should be to make it easier to pull apart, not to send you 50kg of machines to your home.

It's not just absurd time-wise and money-wise, but also environment-wise. They're working their ass off to reduce packaging for the environment, and then they send you these huge machines for you to send them back...
View attachment 2124238

Considering the sizes of these devices and what they do, one would argue that their size is still quite reasonable for a repair. You can argue that they might use different adhesives for example, that's a valid point but if you follow iFixit guides, you don't need to use these kits at all.

It's just an option to accommodate a legal framework - which unfortunately - haven't been well thought out.

Ashbash75

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2017
Main reason why I ditched IOS and went back to a cheap android phone. After a few years, when the battery is shagged, get a new cheap phone.

The numbers just don't make sense, even with the fair phone brand!

Reactions: LightsOn45

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Main reason why I ditched IOS and went back to a cheap android phone. After a few years, when the battery is shagged, get a new cheap phone.

The numbers just don't make sense, even with the fair phone brand!
That doesnt sound very environmentally responsible!

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
Damn, in Europe they also don't sell separate batteries for the 14" and 16" MacBook Pros despite the cells having pull tabs. You only get the whole top case assembly, which is way too expensive (over 500€). I just don't get why they do things like that.

boyarka

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2021
Literraly every, and all, and every single review of the "apple self-repair" program shows utter hostility of Apple towards all self-repair. You have to really look far and wide to find another fake token gesture as this scam of a program is. Firstly, the cost of parts is almost as high as authorized Apple repair - which just negates the whole point of self-repair. Secondly the specialized tools are tailores for specific phone models which obsoletes them together with the phone. Thirdly - since Apple has locked in place the practice of matching phone parts to motherboards - the ONLY way to get the phones to work properly is ONLY by buying Apple'd new parts and once installed have them "calibrated" trough Apple tech support - basically to assign those parts remotely. There is NO way of using say... spare parts from another iPhone. They are usable - if the user accepts a ton of error messages and locked functionality and diagnostics.

The shole program was rotten from the outset. Apple would much prefer npt having sifficient warranty and have users buy new phones. It will accept half-way feaudulent and overly expensive (as documented by Rossman) in-store repairs. It BARELY accepts it's totally locked down overly costly and risky self-repair, and it does not accept any third party anything i reality. Buy, use for a year, buy new. That's apple's modus operandi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.