Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following its new HomePod announcement on Wednesday, Apple has quietly bumped up the price of its HomePod mini in several European countries.

homepod-mini-colors.jpeg

In the European Union, Apple has added €10 to the original €99 price in Austria, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain. The price increase was spotted in France by iGeneration.

The EU price rise now matches or approximately reflects the original price of the HomePod mini in other European countries where the speaker launched only last year, such as Belgium, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and the Netherlands.

In the UK, where the cost of a HomePod mini went up from £89 to £99, Apple also quietly increased the starting price of the iMac by £150, rising from £1,249 to £1,399.

Apple next week will push out an update for the HomePod mini that activates the dormant temperature and humidity sensors in the speakers. Given that it also applies to HomePod mini devices already purchased at the lower price, that is likely to be scant consolation for anyone thinking of buying a HomePod mini today.

Article Link: Apple Increases HomePod Mini Price in Several European Countries

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008

In the UK, where the cost of a HomePod mini went up from £89 to £99, Apple also quietly increased the starting price of the iMac by £150, rising from £1,249 to £1,399.
That's cheating! The UK behaviour had been the prices are only upated when that product range is updated (e.g. the iPad prices went up when the range were updated, but the other products didn't)

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
It has nothing to do with interest rates. The US Homepod Mini costs $99 which is £80. So Apple charging £99 is way more than people pay in the USA.
UK inflation is at 10%. The prices Apple set years ago are now less on real terms than what they were.

I don't agree with the price additions. But I see why these increases are what they are.

Reactions: XXPP

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
I know, I know. Exchange rates, inflation and so on and so forth.

Apple -- but not just Apple -- has been pushing up its prices across the board quite a lot lately. The thing is, I don't really care why Apple needs to increase prices to keep its profit margin steady because my income, and the income of many other people, does not magically increase with inflation and exchange rates.

I love my Apple stuff and I'll keep using what I have for as long as it lasts, but if this trend keeps up I will be looking to move to a cheaper Android phone and a Windows computer eventually. It may not be just as smooth but it's good enough for my use case.

Apple is pricing itself out of my range. If it's just me, well that's my problem, but if Apple is slowly pricing itself out of the European (and probably Asian and Latin American etc) market then it's their problem. Time will tell, but I'm approaching or am beyond what I am willing to pay and frankly I really don't care what forces Apple's hand to keep profits steady.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Cue the comments where Macrumors readers are shocked to learn that foreign exchange rates are a thing.
Well, not really due to exchange rates, maybe a little bit, but mostly just seeking the most profit as possible.

In a not so distant past, in Portugal (my country) any Mac/Apple gadget was a great deal more expensive than the price USA's people would pay. Apple justified it with the exchange rate. When the two currencies were in parity (or even a higher rate for the USD), I didn't see any change in the prices. It is only going up, never down.

BTW, I bet you don't live in Europe (and I would also bet that you live in USA). I say this because you don't know the perpective of outside of the USA. If you live outside, than I'm sorry for that assumption, you just are not affected by this "injustice".

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
Foreign exchange rates are not interest rates, just FYI. :)

It could be (a) inflation, (b) foreign exchange rates, or (c) something else.

Import duties…. This likely has more to do with changes to import taxes or VAT for each respective region.

Otherwise as some have stated the prices appear artificially higher in those countries.

Granted…. The prices of many things seem artificially higher everywhere right now. LOL

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
It looks like HomePod mini prices overseas are now more in line with pre-sales tax U.S. price of $99.

Pre-VAT price of HomePod mini in various European countries is now €88 to €91 (VAT can vary by county) which is equal to around $95 to $98 USD.

Pre-VAT price of HomePod mini in UK is £82 which is equal to around $101 USD.

Reactions: XXPP

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
What would the price be when the mandatory VAT is included?

Isn’t it always standard practice to include VAT in the list price for consumers in Europe and UK?

I know for Europe it’s been that way for decades, as well as Scandinavia.

Unlike the United States where depending on what “county” you are in at the time of purchase the retail sales tax can vary by a few percent. So for simplicity’s sake it is added on at the time of purchase by the specific retailer.

Don’t get me started on Internet vs brick and mortar and Canada is an entirely other level of nuts with how they calculate retail sales tax. LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.