Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a pair of iPhone 13 ads highlighting key features like the device's splash resistance and the durable Ceramic Shield front display.

In the first spot, titled "Shake," a dog dives into a swimming pool on a hot, sunny day, then gets out, walks over to its owner, and proceeds to shake dry, showering her and her iPhone 13 in water. "iPhone 13. Spill and splash resistant," reads the slogan. "Relax, it's iPhone."

In the second ad, titled "Edge," an iPhone 13 sits on a table in an apartment, and an incoming call proceeds to vibrate the phone right off the table and onto the floor with a loud thud. "iPhone 13 with Ceramic Shield. Tougher than any smartphone glass. Relax, it's iPhone," reads the slogan.

The "Relax, it's ‌iPhone‌" series isn't new, and Apple has shared other videos in this series to preview Find My, the ‌iPhone‌'s durability, battery life, and other features. Apple has used the "Relax, it's ‌iPhone‌" tagline for both the iPhone 12 and the ‌iPhone 13‌.

Article Link: Apple Highlights iPhone 13 Splash Resistance and Durability in New Ads

Last edited:

lkrupp

macrumors 68010
Jul 24, 2004
Some cannot get ‘water resistant’ vs ‘waterproof’ through their thick skulls. The exceptions to the rules always make it to the tech blogs with their claims of, “I got few drops of water on it and now it’s dead”. Then there are the articles about iPhones being recovered after months at the bottom of a lake still in perfect working order.

Haiku_Oezu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2016
The splash proof one I have no complains but the second one is total BS lmao

Like, an iPhone absolutely CAN survive that kinda fall? But it’s not a guarantee
My 13 Pro Max fell from table height ONCE and the back got absolutely decimated lmao (bless AppleCare+)

All it takes is a hard tile floor and the phone landing at the wrong angle and you’re gonna at the very least chip it, Ceramic Shield or not.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
As has been said "Resistant" means almost nothing.
"Proof" actually has the value.

Difference-Between-Water-Resistant-and-Waterproof-Comparison-Summary.jpg

And when you go to an Apple store and them finding out it's got water damage, I'm sure they will be only too happy to point out you are out of luck as they do not advertise it as being guaranteed waterproof.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
haha, you can really see it from the movement that it‘s pushed by an assistant with a stick or something after the camera moves to hide that. those 2 ads are going to make people with water damage oder dropping the iphone (or, in my case, just watching a crack develop out of nothing) but not getting a free repair pretty mad.

Crzylikefox

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2017
Los Angeles
How are we still this far along and the iphone is still not waterproof? I have friends that have other phones that have been waterproof for YEARS

bassexpander

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2022
I think they could have found a better way to spend the ad money. The water spray from the dog does nothing for me. The problem with the dropped IPhone is that these models still dent. I can't tell you how many IPhones on the used market have dents in the aluminum frames. Instant resale hit of as much as $100 just to have one. Put a thin case on it, and protect it, at least.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
I saw Shake in the video thumbnail before reading the article headline and my first thought was an ad mostly about shake to undo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.