Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that it now offers a diagnostics tool for self-service iPhone, Mac, and Studio Display repairs in Europe. This software lets customers complete the System Configuration process following self-service repairs by placing the device into Diagnostics Mode and following the on-screen prompts, without needing to contact Apple.

Apple-Self-Service-Repair-MacBook.jpeg

Apple says the diagnostics tool is now available in 32 countries in Europe, including the U.K., France, Germany, the Netherlands, and others. The tool, which was previously limited to technicians at Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers, first became available for self-service repairs in the U.S. last year.

Launched in 2022, the self-service program provides customers with access to genuine Apple parts, tools, and manuals to repair select iPhone, Mac, and Studio Display models, allowing for some do-it-yourself repairs.

Article Link: Apple Expands Diagnostics Tool for Self-Service Repairs to Europe

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
I was a Mac Genius for 7 years.

And I gotta say, if you don't routinely work on Apple products, you're gonna have a helluva hard time. And I did the job when components were bigger than today. Each product has its little tricks and quirks and "fussiness". Seasoned technicians know these, but a customer working as a "virgin"... has no clue.

What will inevitably happen is that ham-fisted customers will screw up their product, expect Apple to fix their booboo for free, and Apple won't.

SMH4KIDIOT

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2019
I was a Mac Genius for 7 years.

And I gotta say, if you don't routinely work on Apple products, you're gonna have a helluva hard time. And I did the job when components were bigger than today. Each product has its little tricks and quirks and "fussiness". Seasoned technicians know these, but a customer working as a "virgin"... has no clue.

What will inevitably happen is that ham-fisted customers will screw up their product, expect Apple to fix their booboo for free, and Apple won't.
Things that didn't happen for $400 Alex. People have been self-repairing things for millennia.

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024

Not only am I ham-fisted, I am in the stage 3 part of my life. I will pay a professional for all my repair needs….for all things I own. 😔

svish

macrumors G4
Nov 25, 2017
Good to see that it is available in another region but not expecting many end consumers to make use of this.

PJL500

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Good to see that it is available in another region but not expecting many end consumers to make use of this.
It's not rocket science... a bit intimidating at first but with sites like Louis Rossmann etc it can be easier... IFF Apple come clean and make ALL parts including chips available. Apple's dragging heels on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.