Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this week began selling refurbished iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13 Pro, and iPhone 13 Pro Max models for the first time in the UK, Germany, Italy, and Spain, with prices discounted by 15% compared to the equivalent brand new models. The standard iPhone 13 is not yet available refurbished, but inventory fluctuates regularly.

iPhone-13-lineup-16x9.jpeg

Availability of refurbished iPhone 13 models should expand to the U.S. soon, as the models are now listed on Apple's refurbished store there, but remain grayed out for now. This is typically a sign that availability will begin within a matter of days.

Apple's refurbished iPhones are unlocked, SIM-free, and come with a new battery, a new outer shell, and a new box with a USB-C to Lightning cable. The devices are also covered by Apple's one-year limited warranty and are eligible for extended AppleCare+ coverage. Apple says its refurbished products are thoroughly tested and cleaned, and in most cases they are virtually indistinguishable from brand new devices.

Apple first introduced the iPhone 13 series in September 2021 and continues to sell the iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini as lower-cost options today. Apple no longer sells new iPhone 13 Pro models, which were replaced by iPhone 14 Pro models.

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling Refurbished iPhone 13 Lineup in Europe, U.S. to Follow Soon

Reactions: DeepIn2U

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
I forgot they made a green iPhone 13 Pro.. actually this brings up, I wonder what the "mid cycle" color will be for the 14? Its typically released in a few months I think?

Reactions: JM

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Apple this week began selling refurbished iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13 Pro, and iPhone 13 Pro Max models for the first time in the UK, Germany, Italy, and Spain, with prices discounted by 15% compared to the equivalent brand new models.
Offer low trade-in values and then turn around and sell them for 15% less than new. Must be nice. 🤣

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
with prices discounted by 15% compared to the equivalent brand new models.
Welcome to Europe😊

I would personally never buy a iPhone with 15% discount.
Even if the battery is new and it’s looks new, it’s still used by a person in 1 year.
Even if Apple have gone through the phone to see if it functioning ok, you can never tell what the person did with the phone.
I would personally buy a complete new phone for that price.
But that’s just me😊

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Trade-in devices are not resold at Apple.
So this is wrong?

Apple reveals what happens to the returned iPhones on the official Apple Youtube channel. When iPhones are turned in for the trade-in program, Apple can “refurbish” the devices. This process involves fitting the traded-in iPhone with newer parts and fixing the issues before putting them back on sale again. Apple’s online store is where the refurbished devices are given new prices and sold to the public. Refurbished iPhones are much cheaper than their original prices when they were released.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
just buy it new ... it is not like any 3rd party retailer is sticking to the official Apple price of a previous model anymore
It still saves a bit in comparison, at least for the iPhone mini 256 GB I checked in Europe (920€ list, 820€ street, 780€ refurbished).

Reactions: sos47

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
15%. Lol. I’m surprised Apple is able to sell any refurbished phones at that price. Where’s the incentive?

Some may view it as what's the incentive to buy new when the refurbished phone has a new outer shell, new battery, other new parts (if necessary), same iOS and the same warranty as a new one.

Reactions: TheWatchfulOne

iAFC

Suspended
Sep 24, 2005
Western Civilization
So this is wrong?

Apple reveals what happens to the returned iPhones on the official Apple Youtube channel. When iPhones are turned in for the trade-in program, Apple can “refurbish” the devices. This process involves fitting the traded-in iPhone with newer parts and fixing the issues before putting them back on sale again. Apple’s online store is where the refurbished devices are given new prices and sold to the public. Refurbished iPhones are much cheaper than their original prices when they were released.
You're right, I thought only third-party sellers did that. Terrible

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
The Alpine Green iPhone 13 still looks beautiful. I was hoping they were going to have 30% off at least.
Both my sis and better 1/2 rock the Green 13 - one a Pro, the other a non-Pro. Both color variants are pretty lush.
As someone mentioned above - I too wonder if there will be a mid-cycle color announced for the 14... I keep thinking a deep copper could be pretty sick. Curious what the color-trend-setters have up their sleeves. Whatever color they drop, you can bet to see everything from toasters to alarm clocks coming out in that new color. 🤪

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
After the embarrassing failure of no sim slot in the US, I bought a new/sealed iPhone 13 pro 512 on craigslist for a flat $850.- Here, I suppose that next year the sim-less US refurbished 14 pros would have to be 90% off to bring any interest in Europe. The Apple circus keeps spinning.

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
15%. Lol. I’m surprised Apple is able to sell any refurbished phones at that price. Where’s the incentive?
"Apple's refurbished iPhones are unlocked, SIM-free, and come with a new battery, a new outer shell, and a new box with a USB-C to Lightning cable. The devices are also covered by Apple's one-year limited warranty and are eligible for extended AppleCare+ coverage. Apple says its refurbished products are thoroughly tested and cleaned.."

Tech heads may not like the pricing but it's relatively good for the general public knowing that Apple reviewed the products and updated it before resale. The models are reviewed and spiffed up by Apple before sale and AppleCare is available.
One still pays the Apple Tax for an Apple Unlocked refurbished iPhone from Apple directly for the peace of mind.
Buying an Unlocked refurbished iPhone (esp. the Pro models where it's generally not available anymore) elsewhere or from anyone else may not get you a new battery/case and AppleCare generally is not available so caution is warranted.
There's nothing wrong with buying refurbished items, like iPhones, from Apple, though it will cost relatively more than buying a refurbished item elsewhere like Amazon, though you have to be careful of the seller and the overall condition of the item.
Bought from Apple before and didn't have issues.
It's not necessary to upgrade for the next few years unless Apple does something to the iPhone that warrants an early upgrade.
Got lucky with a refurbished 13 PM from Amazon last month at a decent price, good battery capacity @96% but not eligible for Applecare and resetting the iOS meant going from 15.6 to 16.2.
Now, prices are much higher and inventory is limited.

Last edited:

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Offer low trade-in values and then turn around and sell them for 15% less than new. Must be nice. 🤣

Anyone who uses Apple’s trade-in program likely just doesn’t want the hassle of using OfferUp, Craigslist or some other third party way. You can easily sell for 2x what Apple will offer, usually more than double.

I think people using their replacement program view it as sort of a rebate / discount and don’t really care that they’re being ripped off. In their minds they’re getting something for nothing, they’re getting a new device anyway and the one being given away is paid for. They don’t care.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2021
I might try a refurbished iPhone next time I upgrade. (On a Android.) My mom has a refurbished iPhone SE 2022 and she's very happy with it.

Reactions: m4c1n705h
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.